DVH Pipe Build with Extras

Hey Ian, that front sight looks very good!

Regarding the shield: Depending on the layers of paint to be added, the texture will reduce (as it did on my shield). In case you want to rework it, I would recommend using a file for making the imprint.

Some files for wood have a nice rough surface for this.

Thank Tino. Maybe the paint reducing the texture will make it look a bit better. If not, I'll have to hunt around for a file or something else with a good surface. All my files apart from the big Bastard (see if the auto thingo hides that word. It is the actual name of the file) only have a diagonal pattern with lines going one way.

Cheers

Thank Tino. Maybe the paint reducing the texture will make it look a bit better. If not, I'll have to hunt around for a file or something else with a good surface. All my files apart from the big Bastard (see if the auto thingo hides that word. It is the actual name of the file) only have a diagonal pattern with lines going one way.

Cheers

Ian, I'm estimating that about mid 2015 I will have a system in place with my kits that will completely redefine how we do the front sight in kits. The sights I have now are something that I am not completely happy with. The lack of texture on the sight guard does bug me and I'm glad I am not the only one. It will force me to keep moving up and improving these kits.

• Like 1

Ian, I'm estimating that about mid 2015 I will have a system in place with my kits that will completely redefine how we do the front sight in kits. The sights I have now are something that I am not completely happy with. The lack of texture on the sight guard does bug me and I'm glad I am not the only one. It will force me to keep moving up and improving these kits.

That's awesome Derrek. And I guess that's what we're all about here - trying to find ways to improve what we have today so we can all have better tomorrow. Keep up the great work!

So here is a teaser picture for people to try and figure out what I'm updating.

One item is a reshaping of an existing piece due to the new pipes.

The second one is the real surprise though. It is a very needed update to the parts in the kit, replacing a badly inaccurate part with a part that is the ultimate level of accuracy.

So lets use those eyes for detail and see if you can see what I see inside the silicone.

F9A84BE8-ACF5-4E37-B330-514E7A4D5726_zps

Edited by Dday
  • Like 2

One item would have to be the front muzzle.

Second item - Give me a clue. Can you see it on my build yet? Do you recommend I wait and not to apply too much Epoxy :D 

Hmmm, On second looks - is it a clue that you have the rear lug and a set of cylinders/capacitor thingos poking out the rear of the boxes. 

I think Ian nailed it on the head, power cylinders and the rear lug? Or you could be throwing us a curve ball on this. Too many surprises before Christmas!

Ian, if you have a file with the lines going in only one direction, you could try repositioning the lines at the opposite angle and make the lines cross hatch. That might have better results. Ir just freehand impressing the lines in yourself.

I thought of that Brian, but this picture (thanks Aaron - usaeatt2)

6765FBBB-04D2-408C-9DAB-AABBEDC887E3_zps

shows that they're more square indents in a diagonal pattern, rather than diagonal lines indented - if that makes sense. Hmmm, could I have used my centre punch but with a diagonal application?? Will check that when I get home.... Oh, the knurling on the hobby knives/saws perhaps.

6765FBBB-04D2-408C-9DAB-AABBEDC887E3_zps

Question for Aaron, seeing as this picture is his personal blaster - I notice the knurling on the guard stops about 1/3 down, whereas previous discussions, most prominent in Gazmosis' build thread, was that the knurling was about 2/3 down on the front and 1/3 down on the rear. Can you confirm any irregularities with your item, or in general?

Or of course, anyone please chime in if you can also help in general.

Thanks

Ok, I think I have it back to front. From this pic (posted by Vern in Gazmosis' thread) it shows the knurling say 3/4 down at the back, but only 1/3 or so down the front, similar to Aaron's pic above. I've even misread Tino pics in his thread as to which was front and back. Looks like I've got some repair work to do, so may aswell hunt down a better knurling tool before I do...

frontsightreal_zpse5d764db.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Ian, you are correct about the pattern being more like tiny square indents. I didm' like how mine came out with the file but I haven't found anything yet to match that pattern exactly. 

Good thinking about the saw handle. I will check mine tonight. That maybe just the answer! 

The easy way to recreate that pattern would be to carve crossed diagonal lines on a wooden block and then use it as a press on the front sight. This way, it will give those "square indents in a diagonal pattern, rather than diagonal lines indented - if that makes sense". 

And Derreck, i can't wait to see these new power cylinders! Did you craft them or, did you get an authorization from someone to use his?

• Like 1

The easy way to recreate that pattern would be to carve crossed diagonal lines on a wooden block and then use it as a press on the front sight. This way, it will give those "square indents in a diagonal pattern, rather than diagonal lines indented - if that makes sense". 

That would be a good way Germain.

As it happened I found a few things quite worthy of testing. Left to right - (1) Found and tested last, the end of a pair of Vice Grips (2) Round file, pressed on opposite ways (3) grip of the Tamiya craft saw a few of us recently bought (4) something I found lieing around (5) grip of a exacto knife

P1020780_zps4268cb00.jpg

I'm leaning towards the knob from the Vice Grips - Number 1 on the left. The scaleof it should look ok.

P1020781_zpsb7cb5d55.jpg

And Derreck, i can't wait to see these new power cylinders! Did you craft them or, did you get an authorization from someone to use his?

Thats the surprise. I will wait to chime in on my sales thread once I pull the first casting out after work and see if my mold was ok.

Those two pictures are exactly what I've expected, Ian :D Very nice work and some interesting pieces got used.

I totally agree, parts 2 to 5 look nice, but that pattern is too small. The vice grips (1) seem to be the best choice here. Multiple layers of paint will later reduce the intensity...

Sight guard re-done. It's a little hard to tell with (1) my rubbish photography, and (2) all the different colours (sanded green stuff, raw resin, rough green stuff, etc), but I think it will look ok with paint on it....

P1020808_zpsf8d87e71.jpg

P1020807_zpsbfb22a4a.jpg

Next small update is my inner barrel. Yes, it will mostly be hidden, and dark in there, but you'e just gotta have one. If nothing else it looks cool before the T-Tracks go on.

18mm Curtain rod with 2 aluminium discs cut out - OD of curtain rod and ID of main receiver. Small cuts on both edges are just to allow the epoxy to soak in for more surface area contact (I think that's the theory behind my madness)

P1020729_zpsa731a93b.jpg

Epoxy'd like so

P1020730_zps5c80a843.jpg

Sliding in

P1020731_zps3a079519.jpg

P1020732_zpsa2ab4ae5.jpg

And looks pretty good I think. It will sit just in front of the sliding bolt and just behind the front muzzle.

P1020733_zps8890ae19.jpg

Merry Xmas everyone! Just spent the last 3 hours building a new trampoline for the 2yo twins! :56pullhair: Time for bed for me....

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

Wow, the pattern on the sight guard looks very good! Haven't seen anything more accurate yet. Can't wait to see it painted...

And that inner barrel is just too beautiful to hide inside. What a shame...

Very nice progress!

Front sight guard pattern.....beautiful! Working some more magic into this build. The inner barrel looks awesome too. Using the large washers to position it is brilliant.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciate it. I'm working on the Hengstler, scope and scope rail at the moment, so that will be my next update - hopefully in a couple of days...

Brian - you and Aaron are giving me withdrawal symptoms with no recent updates on your builds What's going on....?

Sorry Ian. For the past few weeks i had a chronic cold combined with work. I just got back to some small detail work this week but can't upload pics from my ipad. Photobucket won't work using my house WiFi using my ipad.

Hope to post something soon when I get hold of a PC.

• Like 1