Do you talk to the public when you don't have a speaker?

maxsteele

I'm curious out of the troopers here who don't have a speaker set-up for their TK, do you still talk to the public when you're suited up?  Or do you stay mute?

If you do talk, do you have a canned response for people when they ask why you don't sound like a Stormtrooper?

I've only been on one troop outing but I did talk, everyone seem to hear me okay and no one asked why I didn't sound like a stormtrooper. I still will get a speaker system though.

You usually end up yelling at people, most end up going for at least an aker amp and then upgrade with an icomm ;). Aker amps are about $45 delivered so not that expensive

Even when I didn't have an Aker amp, no one said that I didn't sound like a stormtrooper, they just had a harder time hearing me.  Definitely go with some sort of amp, it makes a huge difference and you won't have to yell for the people to hear you.

i have an aker for now...i havent trooped yet...still tweaking my holster. I think i’ll probably go with Icomm eventually though....

I know the sound will be killer, but being on the otherside all this time...i know the sound when its right is aaaawesome....when its not its still awesome!..lol

yes. Its a must when trooping. However, you have to use your hands  and body language to communicate, showing where to pose or how. My favorite is when I have to ell them to get down on their knees for prisoners and to move along!!

Nothing says that you HAVE to talk when in your TK. However on the flipside, you should NEVER ignore someone if they talk to you. Speak closer and a little louder and you'll be fine. However, (in regards to "why don't you sound like a stormtrooper?") it has been my experience that the opposite happens when I speak with my amplifier........they are very surprised. "WOW!! You even sound like a Stormtrooper!!" They seem to be more surprised by that.

I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into an etiquette thing, but it is important to know that, although a RIOT with adults, taking kids prisoner on their knees needs to be done carefully!! I have never nor will I ever turn my blaster on a child for ANY reason. When/if I take a kid prisoner, the blaster points up.

The few times I troop without my speaker setup, I normally dont talk to the public, unless they ask me questions, that demand a better answer, than a nod or shake of the head, but the times I have talked without my setup, no one have commented on the muffled sound of my voice under the bucket.

Actually, my speaker setup is more to satisfy the geek in me, than satisfying the public ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, I've never had a speaker system in the nearly 10 years I've been trooping. I don't like wires running down my neck, so what I really want is to have everything 100% self-contained. The downside is at one point I had 2 - count 'em 2 - RomFx systems ready to go, but 3 houses in 5 years and they've been lost. :(

At some point, it will happen...but until then I don't speak much.