I am new to all this and I'm just about to start construction on my first kit. I have a question about the neck seal (among many others, but we are just talking about the neck seal here). I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy one or if it's worth the effort to make one? Is it usually the same or similar material as the undersuit? Is there any difference in the different movies?

For me it was simple. I purchased one instead of making because of Materials(sewing machine etc.) + labor + time, it was just better that way I did my research and found an awesome one by a member on our board who actaully incorporates a neck seal into a shirt to make it one piece here is a link to what he makes ---------- Hope this helps a little

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

if you are concerned about cost, i got mine off the big auction site for very little money, but it was made really good. i believe it is a regular item. if you need, i'll send you a link. just pm me if interested. however, if you are not concerned about cost, go with steve's recommendation and get Wyatt's setup. it's top notch.

TK409 makes a nice neckseal. I've seen more than a few. Quite a bit different construction than my own. I would have to say that his construction of the ribs is the best.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about making my own neck seal. Is there some sort of general consensus on how many ribs there are and what diameter the tubular ribbing material is?

I'm thinking about making my own neck seal. Is there some sort of general consensus on how many ribs there are and what diameter the tubular ribbing material is?

While being far from the authority on much of anything, I would say that you shouldn't be so concerned about the number of ribs. Instead, I would say that you should go for a better look. My wife, who is the seamstress of the house, is making mine to get a better fit. We got some cording to make the "ribs" and it's approx. 3/16" of an inch wide and we're just going from the base of my neck to above the adam's apple.

I am new to all this and I'm just about to start construction on my first kit. I have a question about the neck seal (among many others, but we are just talking about the neck seal here). I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy one or if it's worth the effort to make one? Is it usually the same or similar material as the undersuit? Is there any difference in the different movies?

Not sure about differences across the movies but in ANH I have read there were two types used at least, I'm sure there are other ppl here who know more on the subject than me though ;)

In ANH I count 9 rib's on the front of the hero's & 14 on the back, shoot me down if I'm wrong though :huh:

• 1 month later...

I' m finally getting around to starting my neck seal this weekend. Anyone know of a pattern for the hero version (higher in the back)?

• 2 months later...

I have one of the shinyseals. It very good quality. It's not completely screen accuarte though. An accurate seal will run you about $60-$70 if you can find someone to make one for you.

--------- I have one of these too and it's top notch!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My test neckseal is from black cotton T-shirt (price 3$ in Globus, from size "L" T-shirt you can have two neckseals), small part of 2 mm thick foam (I bought 2x1m for 3$), then 10 cm of black velcro fastener and then told my mom, what I need to do. I´m not skilled with sewing machine yet :)

Just checked the Elite Standards page.

I didn't realize there was a Basic Standards tab.

"Black ribbed neckseal. The ribs should be horizontal, not be loose, and should extend from the base of the neck to the top of the adam's apple. "

The shiny one should be fine.

As my father always told me "If all else fails, read the directions".

• 5 months later...
Just checked the Elite Standards page.

I didn't realize there was a Basic Standards tab.

"Black ribbed neckseal. The ribs should be horizontal, not be loose, and should extend from the base of the neck to the top of the adam's apple. "

The shiny one should be fine.

As my father always told me "If all else fails, read the directions".

Is going above the apple acceptable? I'm going to try to do this myself.