My First Armor Build Thread ANH-S CAP Armor.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, questions on cuts.. this is uncut from the box, but it is cut from scootch pretty close to the edge of the armor (which was a nice bonus) but this kidney plate is very large and i just dont want to cut too heavy into it.. as you can see it want to wrap around pretty far. The chest, ab and back piece seems to be to size, however the butt and kidney plate seem very long for my body (or the mannequin for that matter 'being the same size as me almost')Ā 

Ā 

so with the images provided. how much should i take off? from the ab or kidneyĀ piece? thanks!output_zpscomtowpf.jpgoutput_zpsbhjekn1g.jpgoutput_zpsaf81es4v.jpgey plate? is it okay to make cuts further than the moldedĀ 

I'm not too familiar with Scootch's armor, but I am seeing that there is too much flashing there on the ends of the chest sides.

Ā 

FdabVoE.jpg

Ā 

Same on the other side.

Ā 

As for your ab and kidney pieces, you want the sides to butt against each other and fit your body. Ā For my kit, most of the cutting was on the ab side. Ā I think I can see the mold lines on the ab piece for your kit on the sides where you would trim away, but also I think you'll be trimming away from the kidney. Ā You may want to search on the forums for another Scootch build to see how they cut the ab / kidney.

Kyle, on your bucket pix, did you go 5 teeth per side?

If so, you'll need to fix that to 4 per side (8 total).

This is straight from the CRL.

3 buckets, 2nd row from the top all the way right, and 2nd row from top 2nd to last bucket on the left. bottom row 2nd in from the left. all 5 cut out.Ā 

Ā 

In the other side of that picture (photo from starwarshelmets.com), I count 8 out of 24 helmets with 5 teeth cut out (barely in some cases).Ā  So they are fairly common (30%) at least in this picture, but whether they are common in the movie is the more relevant question.Ā  In my helmet kit the 5th tooth notch was very prominent on both sides, so I cut them out.Ā  But I later filled them in with small dabs of instamorph (which does stick to ABS and hardens to an opaque white color).Ā  There's a precendent for the 5th tooth cut out, but it's also reversible to 4 opening per side if needed or desired.

Ā 

Ā streethelmets1.jpg

You could mix up some ABS paste. Cut some fine strips/filings off some existing ABS and mix with acetone. After a while it turns to paste that you can use to fill small holes/cracks in armor, etc. Oh, is your armor ABS?

I have already told his GML that it's no big deal if there are more teeth cut.

Ā 

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Okay guys.. Keep it or fill it? I know the CRL is specific however the original photo shows 3-4-5 and in some cases 6 after doing homework. It only makes sense for 5 to be okay...

Hahaha alright thanks! I Dont really want to break apart the bucket to fill it and repaint. I like the 5 anyhow. But normally on buckets I see the 5 cut out hole skipped and painted on the other side as if it should be cut out

Questions..

Ā 

Butt Plate: today i trimmed 2.5 inches off the kidney plate on each side.. the maniguinne is thicker than i am, so the gap will close. however with the large cut, the butt plate sticks out. from what i have seen from my search today is that the butt plate should line up with the end of the kidney plate or a little futher in front, being tiny is going to result in my cutting into this pretty hard.. and it will be far from the mold line.. here is an image with the line i MIGHT cut. please let me know if you have any insight. thank you!

Ā 

Rassam_DRAW_20140518_190149_zps09cf1c80.

Ā 

The next "issue" really isnt one, however i have seen some armor pieces cut the crotch from the chest plate. but where and how close is the question.. I did it on my other armor set and it was SUPER comfy and really easy to bend. with this armor set being different, i was wondering if any of you have done this mod, if it keeps you from EIB/Centrion status, and if it will inter fear with the platement of the belt (ive seen snaps along my "cut line" (blk line in image) before. thanks!!

Ā 

Rassam_DRAW_20140518_214427_zps49e3505d.

Ā 

Just dont want to cut/work any more til i have straight answers! thank you!!

Don't be afraid to leave it a little on the large side and add padding.

You don't want the armor toĀ be skin tight.Ā 

If you put on weight, you'll regret that, particulary on the ab/kidney joint.

Ā 

I received a PM from the DL regarding the teeth count, so you're good with 5, but I'd like to see a CRL change for this.

It's spelled out pretty black and white in there that it's 4 teeth per side.Ā 

If there's room for variation, then have a range like with the tube stripes.

Ā 

If you want to fill in the tooth, take some of your HIPS and shave off some thin bits.

soak them in acetone overnight, and you'll have a nice filling sludge that will take care of it.

It works the same for HIPS and ABS, just make sure you use the same material.

Edited by Gep

Not getting approval for having the extra hole cut out is pathetic! It's time to start acknowledging Stormtroopers are not clones and some slight variations (as long as they are true to the movie original costumes) should be allowed.

So, we should ignore CRL's?

As a GML, my tool is the CRL.Ā 

You can say it's pathetic, but at the end of the day, I have to use that document as my guide.

The tooth count is currently spelled out in black and white.

Ā 

Some costumes, I'm very familiar with, some I have to do some research when the applications come in.

Every CRL has minor or major issues that are not 100% clear.

I would hope the other GML's work with the DL in those cases as was done here.

Edited by Gep

Questions..

Ā 

Butt Plate: today i trimmed 2.5 inches off the kidney plate on each side.. the maniguinne is thicker than i am, so the gap will close. however with the large cut, the butt plate sticks out. from what i have seen from my search today is that the butt plate should line up with the end of the kidney plate or a little futher in front, being tiny is going to result in my cutting into this pretty hard.. and it will be far from the mold line.. here is an image with the line i MIGHT cut. please let me know if you have any insight. thank you!

Ā 

Rassam_DRAW_20140518_190149_zps09cf1c80.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think you need to do what it takes for the armor to fit you. Is that armor on you or a mannequin above? If you have cut that to your body size already, it looks like the two halves need to come together another 2 or 3 inches. Is that right?

Ā 

Based on below, other screen shotsĀ and all the EIB/Centurion applications, the butt should line up around equal to the kidney. Some suits have that little check-out, some don't. So, if that picture above IS you, then you'll possibly need to cut an awful lot more off otherwise the butt will end up sticking out past your stomach. As Bryan said, leaving a bit of fat to play with wouldn't hurt. I haven't got that far yet, so that is only my opinion based on my research, not first hand knowledge.

Ā 

med_gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg

The image is my mannequin yes, however it is close in size to me, that gap will close between the kidney and ab when its on me. So I'm a little smaller. However yes if I leave the butt plate how it is it literally touches the front of my thigh. I cut the kidney harshly and seem to need to do the same here. All the other pieces fit me like a glove butbthe kidney and butt plates where really large. With the arms and legs I cut pretty thin too, but I'm a small guy. However the armor won't be skin tight.. I just Dont like a lot of padding.

Ā 

Thanks everyone!:)