TK Stunt ANH holster question

So I'm about done with my armor, Really the only two things needing to be done is attaching my holster to my belt and modifying my hasbro blaster with the doopy doo's kit. So here's my (hopefully) really quick quesiton. I was over on the 501st website looking at the CRL's and saw that I could attach the holster with snaps. I was wanting to go this route so that if anything ever happens to my belt I can snap the holster off the belt to get it cleaned up easier, but how should I apply the snaps to the belt and holster?

Should I do it like I did with the snaps on my armor pieces and put the snaps through on nylon strips and then glue them to the belt and holster?

Or should I put them directly through the material, and if I do that what side of the snap should be facing out, the smooth top of the female snap be facing out or the male snaps bottom with the hole facing out? (if that doesn't make sense I can post photos of my snaps if need be.)

I can see where it's connected to the belt in the main picture but the connector is too small and I can't tell what is facing out or if that is even a snap that they used or the rivet or chichago screw they used. I figured I would ask before I do anything, because having to redo my belt doesn't seem fun in the money area as I don't have a ton of it at the current moment.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out.

You can do the accurate but snappy way by using half a male snap as a washer and rivet it to the belt and then put the female halves on the straps. Accurate outside, practical inside.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

if you look at screen used armor, actually it's not just a rivet that holds the holster to the belt.

In that case, please do tell Vern. Instead of just not saying what it isn't. Because I spend a good deal of time looking at them and they look like rivets to me.

here ya go!

larger than the average rivet we use.

you could actually use a snap back.

since they look much larger than a pop rivet?

looks like a newey snap back to me?

also note how the holster is thin, and made of a much floppy leather... not 6oz.

it's flat.

hero holster with black straps.

blaster is not a bapty either... it's a 70's police carbine.

with modern crinkle paint.

you can see the real trigger group.

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/luke-skywalker-star-wars-chronicles-promo-stormtrooper-blaster-alt.jpg

luke-skywalker-star-wars-chronicles-prom

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

In that case, please do tell Vern. Instead of just not saying what it isn't. Because I spend a good deal of time looking at them and they look like rivets to me.

sorry mathias I just didn't have enough time to answer fully... now I've spent the 15 minutes I needed to share the full scope.

you can even see the potential of the bottom snap back painted white, and the upper one left raw.

Those are large pop rivets. Not newey snaps. Rivets come in several sizes. And the belt isn't made of leather either.

yeah... now I see the contour... it is a very large pop rivet.

never said the belt was leather?

in the bottom photo it sure looks like white paint?

If it was paint it would look the same in all photos (more or less), not look raw in one and white (or over-exposed rather) in the other.

This has been very informative as I too am about done with armor and moving on to holster next. I have been reviewing posts about holster placement/attachment and read about the use of snaps but I didn't fully understand until now. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germain, did you use washers for the pop rivets? Doesn't look like it from the picture. I'm definitely going to use this method for the holster and the belt itself so it can be separated from the plastic and washed.

No need for washers if the rivet expands enough. I've made the belts using this method, none had extra washers. They would probably just get in the way, anyway.

If you look closely, they are regular pop rivets with washers between the head and belt.

accuracy requires the washers.  I was going to point this out... but paul beat me to it.

I'm with troopermaster on this and I'll use a chicago screw and a washer on the outside from now on.

it's not about the thickness... it's about looking screen accurate..

to me... that is the whole point of making a costume.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

accuracy requires the washers.  I was going to point this out... but paul beat me to it.

gee... I guess they did get in the way... from being too large for a regular rivet.

I'm with troopermaster on this and I'll use a chicago screw and a washer on the outside from now on.

it's not about the thickness... or getting in the way... it's about looking screen accurate..

to me... that is the whole point of making a costume.

You can't claim to want to go with accuracy on the outside and then go with a Chicago screw. The original holsters are affixed with rivets and washers on the inside, yes. But those holster are attached permanently. Which wasn't what the question about the washers was about.