MAC props?

What kind of stuff is that?

----------

Looks like a recast to me.

Would say TM or RS.

Any suggestions?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thought the name was familiar. The teeth and vocoder doesn't look like RS, but the ears look very much like it, as well as some of the surface bumps and stuff on the cap&back.

Its interesting when you refer back to the other thread.  He comes on FISD to start explaining his work and origins and then when apparently "a member" starts questioning things he runs away.  If you have everything to back up your work why wouldn't you continue to show it just to legitimize it?  He states that he doesn't want to offer his product on here which is fine.  However, many people use this site as knowledge and guidance and it would only help him on his own site.  After my time on this site, this hobby really is cut throat... 

Back to the other thread and to the few pictures he does post.  What are peoples thoughts on it?  Did he possibly find another "badly damaged original helmet?" 

I'm not sure what to think. My first instinct was of course recaster but I've seen him pop up and explained quite well. unfortunately he disappears a bit and as stated it is strange that he just doesn’t show the pics he has. I'd say recaster until he shows some more proof.

To enlighten you some more here is a link to his thread on mepd he posted a month after we stumbled upon him on fisd. There are pics of his molds.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=12643#entry161109

He was not very pleased that I asked him about his helmets origins there either. In fact he "forgot" to say in his first post, that his source was an "original, badly damaged helmet". That's just crazy not to tell the public. Also he die not post any pictures of his "original". So after all this stays highly suspicious to me

Sorry I have come into it late and still not read up fully, but from experience I can say that when thermoforming these helmets one can make soft Tie fighter all the way through the spectrum to ten tooth sharp as can be simply by controlling the "pull", so trying to compare tidbits like teeth, eyes, vocoder, tears, well unless you're seeing some detail like the "pill" shape or something it would be hard to make a judgement other than speculation.

I mean if some of you are saying this Mac is copied from an RS.... well now where is the actual proof, if Mac were to meet up with RS and they compare stuff and it's legit then a lot of people are going to look foolish, OR maybe it is copied. I just think it is not productive to immediately cry "recast" each and every time something new comes along. Especially when next to EVERYTHING IS a casting of something before.

If he did bring solid proof to the table I and others would indeed look very foolish. But so far we have seen a wip that could just as well be a reworked cast from another maker. Which I find is many many times more likely than another 1st gen cast shows up, which has so far to my knowledge only happened twice in ANH TK history (Brian R and Simon). Three times if you count the Dave M 3D scan. Compared to the near infinite recasts.

Kids armor!!!thats not cased from anything!...ha!!.....but scootch i do agree we as a group do jump on people like witch hunters..and on one hand thats good....anything i do as a molder i take pics and post...not becouse i am proud of the lump of plaster but becouse more eyes on the projects.......

A few things about recasters...i hear what your saying about the teeth and i will go one detail more..recasters dont know where the vac holes are in the bucks....most guys dont take pics of finished bucks...and the run offs for the molds as well...it is funny how many people try to make armor and get half way in and quit..becouse they hit a point and say...eow this is hard...i was folling his posts and was waiting for the promised pics...and still waiting

Yeah great points all, perhaps the average run of the mill "recaster" has trouble making bucks which will actually work for thermoforming, but all it really takes is to actually thermoform plastics, become familiar with the process, and work on streamlining that process. Locating air passages in a piece of formed plastic is easy, just look at the inside of the piece. Granted when parts are cut out such as eyes and teeth, then you won't see them, or if the interior had been sanded clean. It is expensive to make good bucks, a machine, and start working. But it's not impossible.  If someone could get a Mac and RS and inspect them both I'm sure there'd be similarities as well as differences. These helmets were pulled from the same bucks originally or were there more than one Cap n back buck? I've seen chin to chin double faceplate bucks. Honestly I like making stuff and having fun. Knocking off Star Wars costumes is not my idea of a good living. Fun yes, Job, no way. I respect what you guys do and I hope I don't come off like a jerk.

I do!......

Y

Lmao..sorry i could not hold that one in...but you nailed it...i can get lost for hours cutting,sanding and then tripping on something and droping the buck...olny to start again..my first set was just to see if i could do it..the 2ed to see how close i can get it..later a full size...and i font charge alot at all..its more to my to get that phone call or pic on my phone....yes most of the people that buy my stuff hsve my cell number...send me that pic of there kid smiling ear to ear cuz THEY are part of us.....do recasters give out there phone number??

• 3 months later...

Hi guys thought you like to see these pic when I saw the forum which he put he's side up on here thought pair play to the guy saw polite and quick and responsive and helpful when Spoke to him via email and thought what the hell give him a go.

well here the pic

8JtOGDt.jpg

k5ZW4pO.jpg

4HeZ1pl.jpg

y4VfuzE.jpg

VbLlaqS.jpg

Here's macs bucket with a few other lids courtesy of some troopers some parts of the lid are very sharp in the pull

n2AMUFh.jpg

o9FDQzk.jpg

Well hope this helps

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021