New Build - Paint help

2j5jnyd.jpg

edit: Damn, Sith Lord beat me haha.. but yea, up to you if you want to use the Testor "equivalents" or the Humbrols, if you have access to them...

Ha Ha, I was too lazy to post the actual picture though.

fyi the humbrol grey formula has been changed to a lighter grey.

To what? Since when?

And if the above document is pinned in the How To section, then it should be deleted immediately if that is the case.

To what? Since when?

And if the above document is pinned in the How To section, then it should be deleted immediately if that is the case.

Since a long time ago. He compares it to what is believed to be the original shade of grey back in the 70's. Aside from what a few people think, there is no better substitute (aside from the testors alternative, which some feel is slightly closer in shade). If you think it's an issue you could blend your own hue by adding a bit of black to it and mixing.

I believe that the change in hue is not intentional, but a consequence of the manufacturer changing some ingredient or another to make it less harmful.

Confused..... Ahhh, ok, Verns original comment was just saying that the Humbrol manufacturing process has changed slightly over the years. So Humbrol # 5 is still the closest out of the bottle, just not perfect.

Confused..... Ahhh, ok, Verns original comment was just saying that the Humbrol manufacturing process has changed slightly over the years. So Humbrol # 5 is still the closest out of the bottle, just not perfect.

Some think that the testors grey is slightly closer. But if you can't or can't bother to get that one, then yes. From what we know so far, the humbrol would be the best match for you.

my comparison is not based upon the 70's style.

it's simply based upon making armor in 2008- then fast forward to 2013. (the last time I used humbrol)

photos in posts below are 2014

when I compare the paint I purchased from humbrol in 2008 to the paint purchased in 2013 it's

a grey shade that's much lighter in color.

you can compare the shade change by simply purchasing both the 1138 grey and the humbrol grey and do a paint

comparison.  it's really not my opinion.. it's just a factual observation.

this is just like the comparison between the lighter blue, and the darker blue.

even troopermaster says that armor can be painted with both shades of blue.

when you compare the grey pantone match with the new humbrol formula to let's say TK4510's helmet decals

you get a difference in that aspect.

some members of the UKG have also noted a difference in hue recently.  so I'm not the only one in this camp! LOL :P

the goal here is to present a variance of color, not an absolute. there are differences in the way the armor was trimmed

the size of the actors and many things are slightly different in star wars... the holster shapes are subtle different blasters are

different... teeth trimming... vocoder shapes...  arm lengths. bicep positions.. waistlines  leg size?

it goes on and on... we have to accept variance, not "set in stone" types of mindsets.

open up!  relax!  HAVE FUN!@

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Some think that the testors grey is slightly closer. But if you can't or can't bother to get that one, then yes. From what we know so far, the humbrol would be the best match for you.

well said!

You can (and should) paint two layers, partially to make it stronger but it also darkens the colour. That's what I do and it makes a difference.

so true!

I have here my TKC helmet I painted in humbrol. the frown was painted humbrol grey first.

then the testors grey was applied to the other side after I novus polished off the humbrol.

it's basically a side by side comparison with the humbrol coming out much different in hue.

1138 on the left

humbrol on  the right

IMG_20140312_151916155_zps7mic40uh.jpg

IMG_20140312_151926552_zpsbf9lj4rg.jpg

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 2 months later...

Ok, seriously. So NO ONE caught the irony that Testors grey was #1138????? My wife and I flipped out when we read this looking for paint yesterday. Side note: In the Star Wars novel, TK-421 was referred to as TK-1138.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk