Batphobic WIP TK

Batphobic

Hello friends,

Will be building an ANH TK (or maybe TD).

Unboxed the first piece today -- an ATA helmet.

post-19966-139052673532_thumb.jpg

**ready for some n00b questions?**

1. Why two sets if ears? In case I mess up?

2. Is there any wisdom as to where I should draw my cut lines? I've seen tons of pictures of cut lines on these boards but is it just a matter of eyeballing how that translates to my helmet?

post-19966-139052683598_thumb.jpg

Thanks all. Will be a long slow journey and I appreciate your feedback along the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1- One set is hero and the other is stunt. Hero ones have 3 bumbs and Stunt ears have 4 bumbs.

2- Check out Scootch's build thread. It helped me alot.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ATA sends two sets of whichever ears you request, stunt or hero, just in case you screw up on your first try.  They are the trickiest part of the helmet by far.

I followed this thread to the letter.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14806-how-to-assembling-ata-abs-helmet-1/

Good luck!

1- One set is hero and the other is stunt. Hero ones have 3 bumbs and Stunt ears have 4 bumbs.

2- Check out Scootch's build thread. It helped me alot.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks Tolo -- I counted the bumps -- turns out I have two sets of Stunt ears -- good news in case I mess up!

Re: Scootch... I don't suppose you have the thread link handy? I did a search and found him and scrolled through his topics and am not seeing it. Much appreciated!

ATA sends two sets of whichever ears you request, stunt or hero, just in case you screw up on your first try.  They are the trickiest part of the helmet by far.

I followed this thread to the letter.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/14806-how-to-assembling-ata-abs-helmet-1/

Good luck!

Thanks RainTrooper! Guessing ATA has enuf experience with newbs contacting him for a second set of ears. And yeah -- will definitely keep Pandatrooper's build thread open as I go through it.

When you trim the cap/back of the helmet, be very conservative. The ATA helmet is on the smaller side (you will probably have to put it on sideways and twist when it is fully built) but it is a good looking helmet. Myself and a number of others have recently completed threads on putting it together so check 'em out. If you trim right up to the mold line, you will have troubles putting it together. Don't worry about the unfinished look of the edges as they will be under the ears. Follow Panda's thread and look to some of the other recent builds for advice. There are many of us who cane help you out with questions. Good luck!

Looking good, when you start on the teeth try to make the corners of the teeth quite square, gives a meaner look :D

OK, so I know I'm documenting this in more detail than is probably healthy... but that's just me. Maybe someone coming behind me will appreciate it. We'll see if I can keep it up.

Waiting on file set to arrive from Amazon to do the teeth. So I did the edges of the face. 

I thought I'd use tape simply to provide a straight line to cut by:

(in this picture I cut to the left of the tape)

12164782244_27dd95c3bf.jpg

For the bottom I did do a light pencil line:

12164611083_b26327e2ee.jpg

I've decided the way I like to work with the material is to press really hard in order to create a good first groove because when the first pass is light it was hard to stay in that original groove. BUT I also work hard to just keep the blade steady and only attempt to move millimeters at a time so as to avoid slipping and slicing through a part I don't want scratched.

12164794834_b124358da6.jpg

Used some nasty ol' wire cutters for the "snap & break" lines. Worked, but probably could use some nice quality scissors or something:

12164383485_c6e39ea9e1.jpg

And... the face with trimmed edges complete:

12164390045_73e392550b.jpg

Edited by Batphobic

Sometimes you are better off leaving some material especially at the base near the ears as one side seems to meet up nicely but the other has a small gap, in saying that the s trim and base of the ear should cover this so don't panic when you first put the pieces together :)

Sometimes you are better off leaving some material especially at the base near the ears as one side seems to meet up nicely but the other has a small gap, in saying that the s trim and base of the ear should cover this so don't panic when you first put the pieces together :)

Yikes. Ok. I think (hope) I just cut pretty much where PandaTrooper cut his... hoping I didn't cut too much off for it to fit together well.

I'll go back and take a second look at PandaTrooper's. I need to slow down and post pictures of my drawn cut lines first!

If you like the Low-brow style for the helmets try to leave some more material at the bottom for the rivet to go through. 

12182310.jpg

Make some tests fitting once cut and if you don't need the extra material at the bottom you could always remove it then.

That looks reasonably good.  I agree with 5th horseman--test fit it.  Cut some off, a little to the outside of your line and see how well it matches up with the face.  Then cut down some more, to the line or whereever seems appropriate.  You want to make sure there's enough overlap to bolt your ears through.