Stormtrooper Lenses

I have a problem. My helmet has curved cloudy lenses and I want to replace them with flat green lenses to make them movie accurate, but the current ones are glued very well to the helmet. I have the green lenses it just that I can't get the hot glue off. I don't really now what I'm doing. I tried to softened the glue and tried to peal it of but I' afraid that I might mess up my helmet. What should I do and how? Here some pic so you can see the specimen.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have a problem. My helmet has curved cloudy lenses and I want to replace them with flat green lenses to make them movie accurate, but the current ones are glued very well to the helmet. I have the green lenses it just that I can't get the hot glue off. I don't really now what I'm doing. I tried to softened the glue and tried to peal it of but I' afraid that I might mess up my helmet. What should I do and how? Here some pic so you can see the specimen.

they're glued where all the key places meat.

post-591-1203207205_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207353_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207363_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207388_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207404_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207418_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207432_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207443_thumb.jpg

post-591-1203207456_thumb.jpg

Those links you posted do not work. try uploading them on to the internet first. Try Tinypic.com to upload your pictures to, then get the links. :)

When i replaced my lenses for flat ones, the hot glue came off really easy. Just peeled off of the ABS.

Sorry I have Mac so I was in mind set of drag and drop. Any who I tried to soften the with a glue gun without the ammo. It seemed to work a little, but was afraid that I might mess my helm up.

Ok, I guess I'll use Oops and a razor. That's actually a good idea, like you could get the oops and brush it on on the glue then scrape that sound a lot easier than a glue gun. But then how would the glue stick, because once you use oops or goo gone the glue can't stick too the surface or is that with epoxy glue? Meditate on this I will.

Yeah...Jonah's got good advice.... I would NOT try anything harsh on it, at all.

The citrus is a great idea...and warm soap to soften it up...otherwise it's just gonna have to be peeled out of there....

Once you get a little peeled off...you'll get a feel for exactly how much it is going to take. Just go at it.... but just be aware that your not peeling off any thin edge while doing it.... you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I offer premium 1/8" thick (not cheap thin material) dark emerald green or smoke lenses cut and formed for FX for $20 a set shipped. I also offer uncut sheets for non-FX owners who can cut and form them themselves (just takes a heat gun) for $10 with enough material to make two lenses (TE/AP/etc.).

Details here: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2791

Turnaround is 2 days and I guarantee my work. If you trace the lens hole in your helm on a 3"x5" card, I can custom make them, but you'll have to form them yourself. But for $10 an uncut sheet, the price can't be beat.

Kev TK-1422

501st Special Operations Det Lead and Mountain Garrison Pikes Peak Squad Member

• 3 weeks later...

So, does anyone have any tips to remove hot glue residue off the edge of the outside of the lens?

It's not bad enough to care if I can't get it... but it's one of those little things that bugs me. :)

I don't want to use an exacto, because I'm afraid I will scratch them.

There has to be a "trick" out there... anyone know it?