Punkers AP Armor Build Thread

Hi all,

I know it's been a while, but I finally got my armor today and beginning the long process of completing my dream. Please provide any input as I go along, and I hope that everyone is patient with me as I am pretty new to costuming and this is my first armor build.

I am going for EIB certification on this armor, and I will need any help I can get to ensure this goes smoothly.

DSC04906_zps579cf5ab-1.jpg

DSC04905_zps530ae3a6.jpg

DSC04907_zps5732213b.jpg

Thanks in advance!

- Punkers

Edited by Punkers

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on the Brown box delivery and for jumping right in to the trimming. I am not sure where you live compared to Ryan (Bluehickey), but if you guys are close, I am sure he can lend some local assistance or advice. Look forward to following your progress with that shiny AP. 

:popcorn:

congrats on the Brown box delivery and for jumping right in to the trimming. I am not sure where you live compared to Ryan (Bluehickey), but if you guys are close, I am sure he can lend some local assistance or advice. Look forward to following your progress with that shiny AP. 

:popcorn:

Thanks, I may have some EIB specific questions to send your way as I see you are detachment staff and EIB :) I do have one right off the bat.... Can I "cut the butt" plate and split the kidney from the butt plate at the belt and create basically a "brief" for better flexibility and comfort? And what would you suggest for a suspension system for the AB plate? Some suggest suspenders but not sure what to get to hide the straps and ensure they aren't visible etc.

I'm a bit north of Bluehickey but I am sure he would be happy to lend a hand as we have spoken at a recent troop (good guy).

Tyler, 

When in doubt be sure to keep a copy of the CRL printed and handy. 

The back of the TK armour is essentially three pieces: The back plate (OII), the kidney and the butt plate. So yes, you would separate the kidney and butt plate, but then later strap them together. 

The front is two pieces, the chest plate and the Ab/cod. It is NOT recommended to cut the cod piece to make a "TK brief"

There are so many different strapping methods, I trolled tons of build threads and EiB and Centurion threads to find various strapping recommendations that worked for me. What I chose to do is have a connection from my upper Ab to my upper kidney plate that goes over each shoulder, so it is suspender like. Honestly, once I have everything on, I am not sure that strapping is actually doing anything. It will be a bit of trial and error and I am sure there are lots of recommendations you can get when you ask around. 

Good luck with the continued research and build and feel free to keep asking questions. Many AP kit owners on these forums to assist with any AP specific queries..

When in doubt be sure to keep a copy of the CRL printed and handy. 

The back of the TK armour is essentially three pieces: The back plate (OII), the kidney and the butt plate. So yes, you would separate the kidney and butt plate, but then later strap them together. 

The front is two pieces, the chest plate and the Ab/cod. It is NOT recommended to cut the cod piece to make a "TK brief"

There are so many different strapping methods, I trolled tons of build threads and EiB and Centurion threads to find various strapping recommendations that worked for me. What I chose to do is have a connection from my upper Ab to my upper kidney plate that goes over each shoulder, so it is suspender like.

Ya I have the CRL PDF on my phone and always will check it with questions, but things and opinions always change, so I wanted to be sure that I get any new tips / suggestions for how I should put together my build with the most accuracy and possibility for EIB certification as possible.

With regards to the "suspenders" should I just use nylon straps or invest in some kind of pre-made suspender kit? If not best answered by yourself this is an open question to the thread.

With regards to the "TK brief" there is nothing preventing certification for EIB in separating the cod from the kidney plate and re-attaching with nylon strapping correct? As a friend pointed out in order for the TKs to sit or the hero costumes to do so, these were obviously cut.

Thanks again and everyone's input is much appreciated. Just trying to get all of the accessories in order before I start building.

P.S. does it matter which "split" rivets are used ? Is this stuff just regular hardware store stuff?

In regard to your split rivets, just make sure you get 8MM heads and the rivet shaft itself is around 7/16 (just around 1/2" inch)  Don't go too crazy on suspenders. You can buy cheap ones off ebay or even make a set from nylon webbing.

For my build, I printed off a copy of the CRLs and used them as a checklist.  This expanded into a binder I call the TK Bible.  It contains printouts of the CRLs, the description of my armor from the maker, the ANH Stunt Centurion Checklist, Armour and Helmet Paint Colours reference, other reference documents, and all of my receipts and empty packages for items I've used in my build (snaps, painting templates, Chicago screw bag, split rivet packaging, E11 bolt specs, etc.).  It stays in my armor tote.  This way, if I need to fix something a year from now, I have all the information in one place.  No time wasted tracking down old information.  Anytime I referred to something here or purchased something, it found its way into the binder. 

I applaud you for creating a build thread.  My biggest regret in building my armor was not doing so - it would have been very helpful and an excellent motivator.

I wish I could provide you a defnitive answer here, but I am by no means an expert on the cut cod. I will simply state that from what I have read from the most knowledgeable and trusted builders over the last year plus is not to cut the cod. Some folks still do and love it. Some do and then wish they had not. ultimately your call. 

In regards to getting EiB approval with a cut cod peice, I will leave that to our DO, FunkyTrigger to comment. if he does not chime in on this thread, I encourage you to reach out to him and get his feedback. Also have a search for threads and posts on the topic to see the various opinions out there. 

good luck!  :duim:

Thanks all for your input and assistance!  I really appreciate it.   I think that I will go with custom made suspenders with Nylon strapping, plastic clips with adjustable buckles, and heavy duty snaps to attach to the AB plate.

I will await any reply from FunkyTrigger or others but if I haven't heard from them by the time I start in on fitting the AB plate etc, I will just use what I research to move forward with the cod "TK brief".

Week Two:

I have been working on trimming and sanding for several of the remaining pieces that haven't been trimmed and put gluing on hold due to tactical errors that led to less than desirable results on the forearms.  I am looking at fixing them or perhaps reordering forearms depending on the severity.  I will refrain from images of them at this time since I will admit being my first armor build they didn't turn out how I would have liked :(

Here is my progress with the trimming and sanding prior to fitting or assembly on the leg pieces, biceps, shoulder bells, and hand plates:

DSC04969_zps56c43814.jpg

DSC04971_zps922273bd.jpg

Today I glued one of the finish strips on the left forearm after picking up some strong rectangular ceramic magnets at Lowe's (be sure to cover them in tape or something to prevent "mucking up" your armor) and selected some good "clear" ABS glue.

photo_zps93278e18.jpg

Do not cut the cod. Your friend who stated that the hero suits must have been cut doesn't know what he's talking about. Their suits were made from thin flexible plastic that simply bent. I could sit down in my 2mm ac abs TM suit without modification. The only suit I would cut would be an fx suit. Otherwise you'll ruin the whole look. But it's your suit, your call.

I can't read every thread and every post on FISD so if you guys have a question you can always PM me.

I only noticed your thread as the long term Stormtrooper expert Firebladejedi has commented on the thread.

I won't fail your applications if you cut your cod.

However... don't cut your cod.

Every armour I have seen where someone tampers with the cod ends up looking awful.

I look for form fitting armour in your EIB and centurion builds.

The armour has to fit you and have appropriate sized cover strips.

Or your armour will be failed via the improper armour construction route.

Good luck with your builds.

I won't fail your applications if you cut your cod.However... don't cut your cod. Every armour I have seen where someone tampers with the cod ends up looking awful.

Thank you! I will definitely keep it attached.

This weekend I finished one of my forearms, separated the kidney from the butt plate, and glued on straps N' snaps for the kidney and butt.

image_zpsf09c0f83.jpg

image_zps54f246f2.jpg

image_zps6d66a76c.jpg

Here is how it hangs with the straps attached.

image_zps3af7a6be.jpg

Just watch how far you have your snaps apart, the more elastic you use the more it expands. Also a good tip is to use double snaps on place that take a lot of strain, that way if one fails you have a spare. Keep up the good work :D

Just watch how far you have your snaps apart, the more elastic you use the more it expands. Also a good tip is to use double snaps on place that take a lot of strain, that way if one fails you have a spare.

Those are actually not elastic, they are nylon straps and snaps. I am however slightly concerned that they may end up being a tiny bit too long, but the gap will be covered by my belt so as long as they don't detach in the middle of a troop I should be fine. That's why I put four straps rather than 2 / 3.

I would recommend using elastic, I find in situations of moving about, bending, running, dancing that you do need some give, but that being said it is only a recommendation. Keep up the great work :D