Help: My Forearms are too Tight!

My forearms are completely closed with finishing strips.  I can slide them onto my arms but they are very tight.  They are so tight that I cannot slide on the forearms while wearing gloves.

How can I expand them?  I've tried using a heatgun and I've tried heating a can and passing it through the forearm.  I've also tried removing the finishing strips, but I was not able to do it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this is the last hang-up before my build is finished.  I cannot remove length from the top of the forearm (near the wrist) because the length is proper on my arm.  Thanks!

Here's 2 views at the bottom of the forearm (where it meets the elbow).

IMG_0103_zpsc3d7b754.jpg

IMG_0102_zps41a29b03.jpg

Finally, here's the top of the forearm - there's plenty of room there.

IMG_0104_zps2aaf978b.jpg

I would put a shim on the 'back' of the armor.  then apply the same width coverstrip.  making it with just a coverstrip makes it look

funny.  it's best to shim from the inside, and then use a coverstrip that's the same usual size.

works well.

The back of the armor would be as the arm hangs the seam to the rear.

you only need about 1/4" shim at the elbow, the regular coverstrip should cover the seam quite well.

make the shim a long triangle with the widest point at the elbow.  Then taper the forearm only on the back side.

should be able to use the same coverstrip... if you remove everything carefully and polish up afterwards it should look fine.

most people put the gloves on after the forearms.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

If you used e6000 glue, it will definitely "rip" apart. VERY GENTLY pry it apart, using a blade to "cut" the strings of glue as they expand. This will loosen the overall grip and it slowly becomes easier and easier to remove. Just be gentle as the ABS will break.

Vern's suggestion of shims is better than my "fix" so I'm going +1 the shims.

Ouch. CA glue. Bummer.

I guess you could score the less visible cover strip down the center and split it. Then you could glue in a wider inside strip inside the forearm. Depending on how mich much extra ABS you have carefully create a cosmetic shim between the halves of the split outside cover strip. Maybe some high grit sanded ABS paste would hide the two seams? 

We highly suggest you use E-6000 from now on just in case it doesn't come out the way you thought it would.

-Eric

try putting the forearms in the freezer for awhile sounds funny but CA dosent do well when its frozen makes it real brittle give it a shot never hurts to try.

I tried the freezer and it didn't work.  I'm going to cut the bottom finishing strip in half, insert a triangle shim and see how good of a repair job I can do on the finishing strip. Wish me luck!