TK CRL Changes!

Darth Aloha

Does this mean everybody that has been approved before these changes have to change their armor now, or does it just refer to new members only?

New members only, as it always has been. That does not mean however that you should be discouraged from making them anyway in order to keep up to date.

New members only, as it always has been. That does not mean however that you should be discouraged from making them anyway in order to keep up to date.

I was going to ask if there were any actions to be taken on current members who are not up to par with current CRLs . . . but then I read Mathias response.

Are you sure current members are not required to update their costumes? I'm a stickler for screen accuracy and there are quite a few TKs in my garrison who are rocking plastic belts and one piece back and butts. So if I approach them, as our garrison's GML, and explain the updated CRLs and they tell me to "take a hike" I should just leave it at that?

If I was ruler of the world then they should have to update to comply with the current basic CRL. Sadly, I am not. So already approved members are not required to keep their costumes up to date. And it is certianly a hot-potato whenever it is brought up on legion level - as strange as it may seem.

No one can force a member to update their costume. Only if they become inactive and then are forced to re-apply for membership can the new CRL be enforced. A broken costume that is deemed unfit for trooping can also be required to be repaired before it is allowed for trooping.

If I was ruler of the world then they should have to update to comply with the current basic CRL. Sadly, I am not. So already approved members are not required to keep their costumes up to date. And it is certianly a hot-potato whenever it is brought up on legion level - as strange as it may seem.

No one can force a member to update their costume. Only if they become inactive and then are forced to re-apply for membership can the new CRL be enforced. A broken costume that is deemed unfit for trooping can also be required to be repaired before it is allowed for trooping.

QFT

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't urge members to modernize their costumes even if we're told to take a hike. Unfortunately the plastic belts and split butt/kidney aren't the only requirements on the base CRL that they probably don't meet. The list is long for some out of date TKs and gets longer every year. 

Change is hard. Some people are very attached to the way things were.... and often quite proud of the way things were done in the old days. Over time I would hope that standing out in a crowd of great looking TKs would be motivation enough to upgrade their kit. I'm not sure they realize that the public CAN tell the difference between the old and new even if they can't articulate why one TK looks different than the others. 

Maybe the attachés can chime in with a list of reasons to explain someone with an old out of date TK why they should modernize?

Aloha, 

-Eric

I'm always open to suggestions or ideas or first-hand experience for encouraging and incentivizing TK upgrades in a way that does not demean or seem elitist. I struggle with this as well. It's an honor to have been around so long that your FX was once cream of the crop.

9 of 10 guys I work with are new, so it's not an issue. But we have a lot of FX troopers and I'd love to help them feel great with simple upgrades, like colored ab buttons and canvas belt! (and a new lid!)

It's not elitist until we refuse and make up excuses by calling others elitist. We could say the exact same thing about already approved members who are too "elite" and so modifications are beneath them.

What many people on both sides of the issue don't understand is that within reason, it has nothing to do with the 501st status, it's all about showing up at events and convincing people that we are top notch costumers officially recognized by LFL when we barely have any routine other than keeping new people out of our closed circle based on nearly arbitrary criteria. Do we prefer not showing up at events at all and just whine on forums for another decade? No.

It's not fair. We're supposed to be all including and a bunch of us in my city are tired of being the only 4-5 guys doing all the non-major local events. Partly because (according to "independent legion TK's") we have some stupid rules.

If people finally recognized me as the ruler of the world (which I am, but I'm done convincing) I say we write a CRL for the most accurate costume, no Tier 1,2,3 make one and that's it. That means we stop misleading people into making build mistakes, and when it comes to status let people try to do as much as possible so the GML's (not one person) approve within reason so we can start trooping with new guys, and embrace them in our system of troopers helping troopers. Then we fix stuff at armor parties, workshops, instead of arguing bureaucratically like a college administration.

This has been discussed on a legion level, and a lot of the older guys will grunt and grumble about it, but the fact of the matter is, if you dont keep up to date you just will fall behind. Is it REQUIRED, not immediately no, but everything i have read in the legion charter says your armor must be kept up to current legion standards, so i think the answer is ultimately, yes, older troopers do have to update their armor. BUT it is not required immediately and how much it is enforced seems to go by Garrison GML's.

I do believe that it's good practice to do it as soon as you can before you have 10 updates to make at once. What we are trying to do in the ECG is have a once a year "check your costume CRL's" so all the members are aware of any changes that may have been made to their costume types. I persoanally will give different time frames for the adjustments to be made depending on how major they are or how much cost is involved. Something like AB button colors i would say should be done within a couple of months, as the paint to chage this is not expensive. and it will take minutes to do. Something like as an example, thew metal clips on the detonator i would give a little more time on as they cost a little more than paints and some time consuming labor is involved.

As for new guys, ive been lucky in the ECG and almost ALL of my newer members are excellent representations of their characters. Only 2 of the TK's ive cleared in the last 2 years had FX helmets and one of them already swapped it out for a better helmet. The legion is naturally moving forward, and especially with TK's, id love to see a sea of TK's and they all look uniform again (like back in the day when everyone had FX) with the same style helmet. Its getting to the point that an FX helmet is really starting to look like a sore thumb in a crowd of TK's. We are supposed to be the best of the best, thats why we are where we are.

Edited by Darth Voorhees

That's a very reasonable system you have to help your troopers keep up, so you basically require them to make modifications given a suitable time frame? For about how many troopers was this necessary and how was the reception?

That's a very reasonable system you have to help your troopers keep up, so you basically require them to make modifications given a suitable time frame? For about how many troopers was this necessary and how was the reception?

The reception has been very well so far. BUT a couple of older troopers that need upgrades havent chimed in yet. I literally thought of this idea only a couple of weeks ago and then i went on vacation. I posted it the same day i posted my response here. But so far everyone seems to like the idea. I dont want to pressure people into doing upgrades, but at the same time i try to make them understand we are representing each other as a Garrison. The ECG was one of the first garrisons and i think we should be at the front of the pack when it comes to accuracy and keeping up to date. So im doing my best to get everyone up to standards. :)

I'm maybe out of the subject here, but, was the MRCE and eFX bucket once accepted? I saw pictures of TK on the 501st website with these buckets on. And I remember noticing them at a comic-con too.

Eric

I'm maybe out of the subject here, but, was the MRCE and eFX bucket once accepted? I saw pictures of TK on the 501st website with these buckets on. And I remember noticing them at a comic-con too.

Eric

Sure was. Actually, they still are. *If* you make the necessary mods. This went in to affect a few LMO's ago and was policy. Not sure it was changed since? It was really funny as at the time you need to add the correct number of ear screws, lenses, and tube stripes to the MRCE but the FX could get in unmolested.

It was also the case that the time you could get an MRCE for what - $90? A lot of people moved off of MRCE from FX for that reason. They look a bit funny straight-on, but were considered a big step up from FX and also had more room than ATA

Sure was. Actually, they still are. *If* you make the necessary mods. This went in to affect a few LMO's ago and was policy. Not sure it was changed since? It was really funny as at the time you need to add the correct number of ear screws, lenses, and tube stripes to the MRCE but the FX could get in unmolested.

It was also the case that the time you could get an MRCE for what - $90? A lot of people moved off of MRCE from FX for that reason. They look a bit funny straight-on, but were considered a big step up from FX and also had more room than ATA

I know with all the mods you can get it accepted now. But I did not know back then you could just get the bucket and it was cool. 

I can honestly say that I can't wait to get the funds to change my FX KFC bucket for an AP!

Is there a photo of the Kidney & Butt Plate upgrade for ANH... Need the strapping points of the two pieces??? 

Here's a nice clean strapping example from Simpixels:

C1B86C51-E41E-4B54-BCAF-F32C63243ABA-164

The split butt and kidney can be seen in many screen captures:

gallery_14191_18_167220.jpg

Hope this helps.

-Eric