AP/TM comparison

After deep research and a lot of topics reading I've come down to these two options, because I'm 5'8" and I want an ANH armor kit that doesn't need to be painted,

so I'm asking if someone of you guys has both and has compared closely piece by piece the two armors. What can you tell me in terms of material toughness, overall look,

differences, feeling? Both are great kits, I don't know what to choose!

I'm not looking for canon perfection, but another question is if: since the AP has doubled pieces, has someone tried to heat them up and tryed to made them a bit asymmetrical? It can be done without ruining it or it's too risky?

Thank you!

If you do, don't wear your helmet.

Obviously, I would only like to know if you can sit down on a car seat with the full armor on of if it's likely to break...

Sitting isn't the most comfortable task, sitting in a car is sometimes impossible. I wouldn't worry too much about it breaking though. ABS is pretty strong. AP is made out of ABS and I believe TM is going to start making his kits out of ABS.

Obviously, I would only like to know if you can sit down on a car seat with the full armor on of if it's likely to break...

I can :D

VIETPARADE5.jpg

I have had to drive before wearing the armor. If the back and butt plates are separated you can bend a little. But you might have to remove the thigh pieces to bend the legs enough (I do). Also either remove your thermal detonator on your belt. Or if it's attached, remove the belt. I think not wearing the helmet is a no-brainer. Even with all this IT AIN'T comfortable!! Plus I wouldn't drive over a few miles this way because it could break. But to be honest I don't think driving while suited up is really very safe as you ARE restricted in movement.

Lol, I knew I had to separate the questions in two different topics :P

This was mainly on AP/TM comparison :)

As concerns driving, I'll dress up fast when I arrive :) I want surprise a friend who lives in a near village on the first floor, I really want him to see me banging on my ear as if I have a transmission problem :) he's a huge fan of Star Wars and he'll go mad! I didn't want to dress up in front of his house so he won't spot me too soon!

Back to AP/TM, no one has both?

I wanted an ABS kit for I read in another topic that ABS is more resistant, maybe I should wait for an ABS one from Troopermaster...?

The decision is really all yours. There is too much money involved for me to feel comfortable to tell someone whcih armor to buy.

Just continue doing your research and make a descion on what you feel will work for you.

As for driving in armor...

FiveBelow_11-11-07025.jpg

FiveBelow_11-11-07024.jpg

FiveBelow_11-11-07022.jpg

Wow! I look totally drunk in that last picture! :lol:

I actually only drove a little over a mile, but I would not recommend it. It was very hard to do and in hindsight very dangerous. I didn't have my bucket on while driving either. OK, disclaimer over!

Shhhhh! Don't tell James3 that I am posting those from his photobucket! :P

Left to right, AP, TE, TM. Between AP/TM I'd go TM without a second thought. The re-used parts (both arms identical) and the leg issues would be enough to turn me off of AP.

Also, AP is all using .080 (thickness prior to forming) TM uses a few gauges for different parts, yielding a greater formed thickness on larger parts like the chest. I have a few TM parts on my suit, and I've found them to be both substantial and detailed.

The re-used parts (both arms identical) and the leg issues would be enough to turn me off of AP.

Yes, it's a thing that really bugs me, I'm not sure I can stand it :P

I think I'll wait for Troopermaster to finish his new vacuumforming table and get an ABS suit from him, so I'll have the best suit in the toughest material.

The only thing that I don't like in TM armor is the "pinch" on the top of tighs, but maybe I'm too picky :P

Thank you, guys!

As may have been said in this thread, so forgive me, it's all to do with the top thigh curve meeting your groin area.

Cut the ab plate under the belt as that helps too.

There is a topic on here about reintroducing a return edge to cut ABS plastic.....so if you do have to cut it down you can reintroduce that inner folding curve no problem

What do you mean by "pinch"?

Please explain how you think they differ from the original ANH thighs and not comparing them to other replicas. I am always open to suggestions and constructive criticism :)

Here's a little comparison between some shots from ANH and some pictures of TM suit: the "pinch" I noticed is surely worsened by viewing angle, but there is. Excuse me, but I didn't find better reference pictures.

What I mean is that viewed from the side, instead of being a smooth bend it has a "wave" that comes back forward on the top. On the sides of the ABS strip used for the butt seams the plastic seems "pushed" too much, so the outer cut seems too deep, I hope I explained what I meant :)

post-1353-1200420351_thumb.jpg

post-1353-1200420364_thumb.jpg

post-1353-1200490385_thumb.jpg

To me the TM looks pretty much perfect. I dont think you can get any armour thats more accurate :duim:

It is, indeed, but my picky eye could't resist the temptation of pointing out the only two curves that IMHO don't match perfectly :P

I see what you mean now mate.

Looks like I will be doing some more tweaking. I've actually been doing some retooling of my most of my moulds since I received some HD screen caps from RoCKo. Only very slight changes but that is what it's all about for me. That's the fun part, researching and finding new things, and ways to improve.

Like I said, any constructive comments most welcome :)

BTW, that first pic, the thighs are different shapes from left to right so you cannot compare the tops as they are different from each side if you look closely.

BTW, that first pic, the thighs are different shapes from left to right so you cannot compare the tops as they are different from each side if you look closely.

I knew you would say that ;)

So, for the right leg, compare the ANH of the first pic and the TM of the third, from the front they should look the same and almost symmetrical, but yours has a deeper cut on the left.

I'm not a Tigh-Fighter, LOL, just trying to be constructive to make your suit even better and closer to perfection!

Thanks for the attention, much appreciated!! Since I'm know on your list, A NEW HOPE for me is that you modify that in my future armor :P

Ok. nothing more to say, other than you're going to make a dream come true!

post-1353-1200516698_thumb.jpg

I like what you've done in the pic and think it does look good. Unfortunately though, the left thigh is not right and does have a peak unlike the right hand side.

Not the best pic, but you can see on the short guy in the middle how the left thigh 'peaks'. I have better pics on a disc somewhere that I will dig out.

millenniumfalcon_duke_anh1080p_troo.png

I like what you've done in the pic and think it does look good. Unfortunately though, the left thigh is not right and does have a peak unlike the right hand side.

My apologies, you're right, I've watched again all the stormtroopers scenes af ANH frame-by-frame and the peak is almost always present.

I've updated my pic and here's a screenshot in which it's clearly visible (see also here, the trooper on the right). It's so difficult to see it because it's always covered by belt boxes! I wonder if it's made on purpose and why... maybe because of the holster? Trimming needs? Or just to add a bit of asymmetry? Who knows!

post-1353-1200515912_thumb.jpg

The new pic looks better :P

I've no idea why they are shaped differently. None of the parts are mirrored pieces for each side like you would imagine they are. Just look at the forearms, one is slightly longer than the other and has more indents.

I used to think that several people must have sculpted the armour for it to be so assymetrical, but one person sculpted the whole suit.....Brian Muir. I'll ask him about it next time we meet :)

The new pic looks better :P

I've no idea why they are shaped differently. None of the parts are mirrored pieces for each side like you would imagine they are. Just look at the forearms, one is slightly longer than the other and has more indents.

I used to think that several people must have sculpted the armour for it to be so assymetrical, but one person sculpted the whole suit.....Brian Muir. I'll ask him about it next time we meet :)

Its ironic that the imperfections of the original suit has now become the race for perfection - to become as accurate to the original as possible.

In my opinion, TM still looks the most accurate to me...photo comparing part to part with ANH stormtrooper stills. :)