Hinges on Forearms

Yes it does, but I have read about some guys with monster arms that needed to clamshell them to put them on. It's not pretty and wouldn't be allowed for EIB or Centurion but I suppose it's a solution if your a big trooper.

Yes it does, but I have read about some guys with monster arms that needed to clamshell them to put them on. It's not pretty and wouldn't be allowed for EIB or Centurion but I suppose it's a solution if your a big trooper.

Ā 

Here's the CRL, it's actually for initial 501st approval but will carry over to the upper levels as well:

Ā 

Forearms

For 501st approval:

• Forearms are fully closed.

I read that to mean that there is no visible gap!

Ā 

it does not say "Fully glued!"

Ā 

thighs say fully closed too! not fully glued!

Ā 

I personally think this is a mis interpretation of the referance!

Ā 

the language actually allows for both glued and clamshell

Ā 

there has to be some variety placed into the language "fully closed"

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I also use small pieces of foam to stop the rotaion, I fixed them with super glue and they seem to hold

I read that to mean that there is no visible gap!

Ā 

it does not say "Fully glued!"

Ā 

thighs say fully closed too! not fully glued!

Ā 

I personally think this is a mis interpretation of the referance!

Ā 

the language actually allows for both glued and clamshell

Ā 

there has to be some variety placed into the language "fully closed"

agreed. unless you are shooting for EIB or Cent then the DO will decide. you could go with a "bra strap" closure kind of like the Shin closures under the cover strip so i wouldnt be seen.

Edited by Darkshadow

my point is that the DO should consider the language used does NOT mean fully glued!

Ā 

for any level not just base acceptance!

Ā 

the CRL does NOT say fully glued!

Ā 

it's just covering the no visible gap!

Ā 

EIB and centurion do not say glued

Ā 

this is a misconception!

Ā 

and the sniper knee should always be kept with rivet or without

we should never remove the word ideal from the CRL

Ā 

we must have variety that is the spirit of the language used!

Ā 

if the original authors of the CRL wanted it glued then they would have used those words!

Ā 

the shins also say fully closed?

Ā 

does that mean we glue those?

nope! see my point?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Ha Vern gets it! Sometimes the crl's are made ignoring the fact that not everyone is a skinny british guy from the 70's, outing pretty much all larger folks and even short ones that must make accommodations from getting centurion cuz the cant fit in the armor properly (such as having to make 30mm coverstrips). There should always be exceptions. Sure a 300 pound stormtrooper would look odd but he should still be eligible for centurion if he (or she) has the correct rivets, trim,etc..

Ā 

My forearms are skinny but my hands are big, so although my arms are fully glued I can get my hand through but now have gaps in my wrist so I have to use foam, but it doesn't look good cuz you can see the foam at certain poses. Crl's should be more flexible IMO. I would gladly use a clamshell method but all I can think of is using elastic to hold the two halves against my arm

If you use hinges then that's something between you and your GML. But I will not approve that for any FISD specific award. Hinges are visible from the outside.

Also, have you considered the potential drawbacks?

Ā 

Secondly, looking the way it should look is not the same as right. That's like saying a knock-off bootleg is as good as the original. We all know it doesn't work like that. Assembling armour the way the originals were assembled have pro's and con's. But it has a lot more pro's than most people think. Those costume builders in the wardrobe department knew what they were doing.