AP vs. RS

One last investigation before I commit....after extensive research I have narrowed my choices down to either AP or RS armor. Is it true that RS is the most screen accurate armor available? I like that idea a lot but it is definitely reflected in the cost. Budget wise AP is the fore runner where I am concerned. Was hoping for some feedback from people who know. Help me get where I am going please. I will be doing a TD build based on cantina captain. Thank you.

Rs is actually cast from a real honest to god anh stormtrooper suit. A first generation cast as rs owns it.

I think ap came from the gf molds which came from reworked rotj.

I am not sure on the ap but i know on the rs.

AP was cast from an original suit used as a "tour" suit.Then cleaned up and modified to look more anh.

the helmet, ears and armor have a really clean, powerful and strong aspect.

The GF lineage of sculpts shows that a suit was found in a trash can at elstree studios

and went though a series of re-sculpts and modifications to bring it closer to ANH

in the beginning of the armor production for 501st members we had TE and AP styles.

one of the longest running armor makers. in the beginning TE and CAP offered the bumpy cap

and armor.

RS props is cast from a sandtrooper set of armor, with certain parts resculpted by TM.

some parts were missing- sniper knee, shoulder bridges, and other parts were

re-created. essentially the RS props suit is much more of a direct representation of

a sandtrooper suit. the RS props sandtrooper suit was then repainted and

made into a standard stormtrooper suit and is shown running down the tantive 4 hallway.

the armor comes with bumps, waves and imperfections cast from the original.

all the sandtrooper scenes were shot, then armor was repainted and used in other scenes..

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 2 weeks later...

RS props is cast from a sandtrooper set of armor, with certain parts resculpted by TM.

Not resculpted. Added. The missing parts come from TM, but he didn't change any existing parts.

RS is hands down the most accurate one of your two choices. The only one close to RS is TM. And if you want to make a sandtrooper, why not use something that is cast from a real sandtrooper armour?

TM did not use original parts to replace the missing parts, instead he provided parts he himself sculpted.

this means that the Rs suit is a combination of real and fan based parts.

much like the AP suit which is a combination of real and fan made parts resculpted.

I personally would go with RS props since it's a sandy and a white tk all at the same time

it was used in tunis and england both...

TM did not use original parts to replace the missing parts, instead he provided parts he himself sculpted.

Yes. But that does not mean "resculpted". Resculpted indicates that he changed something existing from the RS suit.

they are not original sculpts.. and are fan made resculpted parts

meaning that the original design was re-created from fan based measurements

not recast... but re-sculpted the RS suit is like other suits it's a combination of recasting and resculpting.

all suits have some form of casting sculpting and recast procedures.

every suit of armor has the same elements of art.

in every case where we have armor cast from the original there has been some modification.

below is my description of how it's been explained to me:

TE: created parts by recasting originals from the elstree dumpster. (most likely an in studio recast of the SDS bucks, with mods)

CFO: cleaned up thighs, fixed areas that needed to be updated. ( cast from the oakley molds and updated for asthetics and fit )

AP: cast from the GF series of bucks, most likely cast from a tour suit, which is post sds in design

RS props: cast from an original suit found in england. parts added by TM that were missing.

I would base your choice more on what will fit you best than suit lineage. All of the vetted fan-made suits are excellent, with only minor differences that will take you weeks of research to even discern. The builder has as much to do with the final look of the product as the armor maker, too. You will save yourself some work by buying closer to your size, and it will look better on YOU.

Edited by fritzthefox

I was just trying to show how all the suits are laid out... and the fact that none of them are unmodified in some small artistic way.

RS props is the best

I love my Ap kits. it's fun.

I started in 2009

things have changed in the stormtrooper world.

Interesting to read all these facts (that I probably should know by now) and learn all the small differences and origins. I've only experienced 3 suits in person FX, ATA, and CFO, so I can't really give any better opinion about RS or AP than what's been discussed already. All I can throw in is I agree having a suit that fits you is really the key thing to look for. I think as far as total complete accuracy, if you have a squad of troopers wearing RS, AP, ATA, TM, and FX standing together...the FX one will be the only one that sticks out without close inspection. From what I've read about RS, I'd probably choose it, between the two, if money was no object, but that's just me.

In the end, the two best suits are TM & RS hands down. You can't go wrong either way, and it's really a difference in preference.

perhaps I should correct my observations then mark...

perhaps we should point to a better set of facts?

I'm aware that both CFO and RS Props suits are artistically modified

and TE and AP also were modified TM is a fan sculpt that provided parts for RSProps

and that none of the armor out today is un-modified

even TM has upgraded his work over time so a 09' TM is just a tad differet than say a '13 TM.

can we improve upon these observations?