SIMpixels 2mm TM ANH Stunt Build

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Si,

Can't say this on our local forum but IMHO your build is looking great!

Thanks Andy, how is yours progressing?

Hey Si have you managed to fit a split rivet into a male snap?

Looks like it in one pic there?

I sure did Phil, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

All 7 spots that require a split rivet have a male snap fixed behind. :)

That's brilliant Si.

Can you post some pics about this on your UKG build thread about how you achieved it?

Did you shorten the split rivet and use a tool of some sort to bend it?

Is the snap totally still or does it move slightly?

That's brilliant Si.

Can you post some pics about this on your UKG build thread about how you achieved it?

Did you shorten the split rivet and use a tool of some sort to bend it?

Is the snap totally still or does it move slightly?

No worries Phil, I'll put some pics together for that once I've finished the build.

The rivets weren't shortened down, in hindsight it might have been a good

idea to file a mm or two off it. I'll know for next time. Once the male snap

part was over the rivet I used a large flat blade screwdriver to open the

split just enough to get my popper tool into the gap to open the rivet fully.

Then hit it with the screwdriver again to make sure it was right down.

It was a real hatchet job but it seemed to work.

They did rotate a little bit once finished, but they were as close together as

they'd go. A tiny drop of superglue on the inside of the male snap fixed the rattle. :)

Hey Si have you managed to fit a split rivet into a male snap?

Looks like it in one pic there?

Yerrp, one of many little tricks that I use in my builds for the guys in the 'G' B)

SideRivetSplit-popperfixing01.jpg

SideRivetFixingalternatives02.jpg

With the splitty to male popper I've found that you get a better fit if you use the Heavy Duty camping snaps instead of the Pryms (tested both by the way), it as a smaller hole in the base so when you spread the wings out there is far less movement when its finished and in position

Personally I prefer the 'covert' split rivet elastic route. Use the right washers and single caps and it's pretty hard to tell the difference B)

CovertSplitRivetelastics01.jpg

CovertSplitRivetelastics02.jpg

:)

Yerrp, one of many little tricks that I use in my builds for the guys in the 'G' B)

With the splitty to male popper I've found that you get a better fit if you use the Heavy Duty camping snaps instead of the Pryms (tested both by the way), it as a smaller hole in the base so when you spread the wings out there is far less movement when its finished and in position

Personally I prefer the 'covert' split rivet elastic route. Use the right washers and single caps and it's pretty hard to tell the difference B)

Nice work, thanks Billy. Your diagrams are great!

Edited by SIMpixels

Si, sorry for the Hi-jack mate, didn't mean to distract from your build thread, and I think you know just how frigging AWSOME! I think your progress is,

it's the Dogs Danglees mate :duim:

As for my diagrams (or 'Bill-a-grams' as Aaron-synaptyx christened them years ago), I think you can tell just how much I love 'Airplane Safety Brochures', Ikea 'Instructional' leaflets, ohh and not forgeting those old Airfix model 'A to B' guides :D

I do try to keep them as simple as I can so that you can look at them quick and still get a good idea of what's going on.

:)

Mathias, no problems matey, fill ya boots :duim:

Mathias.

We need you to see and approve Billhags single cap rivet so that the old split rivet isn't the only approved Centurion rivet.

There are many UKG builds and including my own that use the single cap.

It's a better system than to permanently fuse a clamshell with elastics and split rivets with washers.

What can we do to convince you?

Like I said earlier, it's not my call on that matter anymore. I'm fine with okey'ing the cap rivet method as long as it's done properly. The LMO is the one who makes the call now though, but he's AWOL.

Billy: Thanks! :duim:

Toffee pennies for everyone!!

CF0A33C8-9ED7-4EEE-AD42-0C438BD58CEC-10082-00000C5227941DBC_zps4dcab26f.jpg

Have spent the past few days trimming and sticking. The final cover strip on my left thigh is drying as I type. Some strips still to go on my right forearm and my right thigh parts are still yet to be trimmed. Feels like I'm really getting somewhere with it all though.

I have sorted my belt this evening. Position-wise, does it look about right? Before I add the poppers to the ab plate I wanted to be sure it was sitting right. Just below where the button plate will be (once I've glued it on).And yes, I know I haven't covered the rivets yet. ;)

2C2794C8-0F3A-4A81-A661-0A265841DAE8-10082-00000C522A51F1B4_zpsa77c54ea.jpg

I also need to trim some excess from the sides of the bib around my neck seal. Is that usually the case or do you guys leave it?

Si.

Toffee pennies for everyone!!

Have spent the past few days trimming and sticking. The final cover strip on my left thigh is drying as I type. Some strips still to go on my right forearm and my right thigh parts are still yet to be trimmed. Feels like I'm really getting somewhere with it all though.

I have sorted my belt this evening. Position-wise, does it look about right? Before I add the poppers to the ab plate I wanted to be sure it was sitting right. Just below where the button plate will be (once I've glued it on).And yes, I know I haven't covered the rivets yet. ;)

I also need to trim some excess from the sides of the bib around my neck seal. Is that usually the case or do you guys leave it?

Si.

Looking good so far, keep it up

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm back after my Christmas break, hope you all had fun. :)

d65ba59a4ea111e28d6622000a1fbc43_7_zps61aec8c5.jpg

Spent last night gluing strips and sewing bits of elastic. I did my biceps hooks too, here's how.

Started with a 22x90mm offcut of 2mm ABS, shaped it, marked it up as shown and filed grooves to help with the bending. Warmed it with a cigarette lighter one bend at a time, pressing it against a flat surface until I got the shape I wanted. Filed off the charred bits, sanded smooth and glued in place.

Done.

26B0506C-2CB7-46DD-8C0B-D704A3F39F8B-11808-00000BB9A93D739B_zps0bafeacd.jpg

clap2.gif

SEE!!, now that's the way it's done....no fluffing or fannying about, simple and easy,...just how all 'How To's should be

Huzzah!!...well done that Man clappingmore.gif

:D

Think's we might have a new UKG armourer in the making a Billy :0Lighten:

Fantastic Si :jc_doublethumbup: ,it's so fresh seeing new takes on idea's , it looks like it's ment to be B)

This is now a FISD tutorial. Nicely done!

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/37-howto-create-a-bicep-strap-hook/

-Eric

OK, I'm back after my Christmas break, hope you all had fun. :)

d65ba59a4ea111e28d6622000a1fbc43_7_zps61aec8c5.jpg

Spent last night gluing strips and sewing bits of elastic. I did my biceps hooks too, here's how.

Started with a 22x90mm offcut of 2mm ABS, shaped it, marked it up as shown and filed grooves to help with the bending. Warmed it with a cigarette lighter one bend at a time, pressing it against a flat surface until I got the shape I wanted. Filed off the charred bits, sanded smooth and glued in place.

Done.

26B0506C-2CB7-46DD-8C0B-D704A3F39F8B-11808-00000BB9A93D739B_zps0bafeacd.jpg

SEE!!, now that's the way it's done....no fluffing or fannying about, simple and easy,...just how all 'How To's should be

Huzzah!!...well done that Man

Woohoo! I got a "Huzzah!" from Billy! Cheers bud. :D

Think's we might have a new UKG armourer in the making a Billy :0Lighten:

Fantastic Si :jc_doublethumbup: ,it's so fresh seeing new takes on idea's , it looks like it's ment to be B)

Thanks Steve, but I dunno about that.

On most of my stuff I just cut, file, sand and hope it turns for the best. :D

Very nice, looks like there may be a new How To post coming up soon :D

Cheers Glen, I didn't imagine that would happen! :)

Huge thanks Eric, very happy to see my first ever tutorial up there.

Makes me feel like I'm actually contributing to the site now. :)

I hope that folk find it useful.

Si.