Here is my newly constructed mannequin!

I took some cues from Scott M's tutorial and a few other sites and built my PVC mannequin to display my armor at the Christmas party this weekend. I think I have about 25 bucks in the material and another 25 in a new underarmor "like" suit. I got all of the hardware from Home Depot and the suit pants are Nordictrack from Sears ($15 on sale) and the top is an off brand from a discount store here in PA called TJ Max ($9). That way I could dress this thing and wouldnt have to undress it every time I wanted to wear the armor. I can now just remove the plastic and still have 2 other under suits to wear. I wanted it to look pretty natural and not like a stick figure and suprisingly I think I pulled it off. I'm pretty happy with it. The parts fit together pretty tightly so I didn't glue anything yet and that allowed me to move it around til I got the pose I wanted. I actually think it looks better on the mannequin than it does on me! :lol: Let me know what you think!

DSC02663.JPG

DSC02654.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

Yeah I'm gonna work on that tomorrow. I just got him done about midnight my time and he is just leaning there. I really dont have a way to secure him yet. I need to re-pose the legs a little but I was so excited that it was finally on display instead of in a cardboard box that I wanted to get pics up ASAP for you guys to check out. Its also gonna look a ton better with the AP lid when I get that done.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures during the construction. I thought about it but I have so much preparation for our party this weekend that I didnt have time. I just wanted to get it together while I had my help there. Besides Scott's tutorial is very good. I just added padding and the undersuit. I did take the bottom apart last night and glue the hip and pelvis joints so he doesn't squat anymore (no more "crop dusting") He stands much more erect and looks really good. If you all want I can take him back apart after the holidays and do a full tutorial. On another note my wife is attempting to name him! :rolleyes: I said to call him Lucas in honor of George but she said that was too modern for a first name. She wanted something more classic like Chuck, Larry, or Ed. What do you think a good name for my mannequin should be? Talk amongst yourselves!

Tim- I think it looks great. Don't go through the trouble of taking it all apart. I was just curious how you put it all together

As far as a name goes: Jimmy! Always makes me laugh when I don't know someones name to just call 'em "jimmy"

• 1 month later...

I am actually going to be tearing down my mannequin to get my armor up to elite standards so when I do that I will take some assembly pics. Until then here is Scott's tutorial.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...
I took some cues from Scott M's tutorial and a few other sites and built my PVC mannequin to display my armor at the Christmas party this weekend. I think I have about 25 bucks in the material and another 25 in a new underarmor "like" suit. I got all of the hardware from Home Depot and the suit pants are Nordictrack from Sears ($15 on sale) and the top is an off brand from a discount store here in PA called TJ Max ($9). That way I could dress this thing and wouldnt have to undress it every time I wanted to wear the armor. I can now just remove the plastic and still have 2 other under suits to wear. I wanted it to look pretty natural and not like a stick figure and suprisingly I think I pulled it off. I'm pretty happy with it. The parts fit together pretty tightly so I didn't glue anything yet and that allowed me to move it around til I got the pose I wanted. I actually think it looks better on the mannequin than it does on me! :lol: Let me know what you think!

Tim, I think it looks great! I've been checking on mannequin prices on that big auction site for when I get my armor (so that I can both display my armor when I am not wearing it AND scare people who walk into my place for the first time!), but had not considered MAKING a mannequin.

By the way, if you're out there reading this post Julio...then let me acknowledge right now that I got the idea of standing my (future) armor up to scare people. Thanks for the idea! B)

• 3 weeks later...

I've started mine and was nice to see the tutorials from Mike and this post as (curiously) I had the exact same idea and have the materials already.

Question: What did you use for padding? I'm thinking of shape cut foam, but I'm always open to other peoples way of doing things.

L.

I actually have mine torn apart and in the next couple weeks might be doing a full tutorial with lots of pics. But to answer your question for the body I used and old bed pillow! I just cut a hole in the middle of the short ends of the pillow and fed the body pipe up through and then cut holes in the top of the long sides and fed the shoulder pipes through to the fittings. Add duct tape and i instantly had a nice solid chest and back and stomach. For the rest we wrapped the pipes in batting. I guess you get it in cotton or polyester from the fabric store. Either the stuff you put in pillows or you can buy it on a roll for appolstering chairs. We wrapped it around the pipes and secured it with duct tape. You kinda have to play with it as you are dressing the mannequin in the tight fitting under suit but you can get looking pretty good concidering most of it is covered by white plastic anyway. I love my mannequin and being able to display my pride and joy everyday. Its a crowd pleaser too. I will have to post a pic of him dressed for Christmas! We had fun with it.