doopy survivability?

Owen91

Hi everyone!

Might anybody know something about the durability of the Doopy Doo E-11 blaster? I've seen a few posts by members that hinted at their fragility and, having one on the way, it has me concerned. Is it sturdy enough to survive the unexpected? (grabbing hands, bumping into things, maybe even a drop/ etc.)

you drop it on concrete and it will crack.

been there, done that.

it's always fun when some old lady's purse strap get's caught on your hengstler as she's quickly walking past the line in

a packed convention, the situation attempts to tear it off.

(another reason why I make my bracket different than anyone else! it's in a folded U shape and is springy!)

now my hengstler has a shock absorber built in!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Bottom line. It's resin, which is brittle. It will almost surely break if dropped, handled wrong or just generally mishandled. Don't get me wrong, with epoxy as glue, a few coats of thick textured rustoleum and a clear coat it feels pretty solid. But as an example of the fragility, Gazmosis handed his off to a kid once and the minute he had it in his hands the kid broke the selector switch. I am very careful not to let anyone else hold it and I never have it holstered (just swings around too much, even my hyperfirm does, but why would you holster it anyway?). Overall though, for general trooping and just holding it for pics it should last forever.

If you want durability get a hyperfim from Lewis. Absolutely amazing looking and pretty much indestructible. When I got mine I must've dropped it a hundred times just because I liked the rubbery thud it made. Can't break those!

Good luck!

Doopys on the bottom, hyperfirm on top, they're actually exactly the same size, the bottom one is just closer, optical illusion!

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

are we talking the doopydoos full resin kit or the add-on kit for the hasbro E-11, I have the modded hasbro and it has survived falling over on a sidewalk, dropping onto my tile floor from sofa level, banged into a wall or too, and countless bouncing into people at a con.

On 11/3/2012 at 8:25 AM, Solcar23 said:

Bottom line. It's resin, which is brittle. It will almost surely break if dropped, handled wrong or just generally mishandled. Don't get me wrong, with epoxy as glue, a few coats of thick textured rustoleum and a clear coat it feels pretty solid. But as an example of the fragility, Gazmosis handed his off to a kid once and the minute he had it in his hands the kid broke the selector switch. I am very careful not to let anyone else hold it and I never have it holstered (just swings around too much, even my hyperfirm does, but why would you holster it anyway?). Overall though, for general trooping and just holding it for pics it should last forever.

If you want durability get a hyperfim from Lewis. Absolutely amazing looking and pretty much indestructible. When I got mine I must've dropped it a hundred times just because I liked the rubbery thud it made. Can't break those!

Good luck!

Doopys on the bottom, hyperfirm on top, they're actually exactly the same size, the bottom one is just closer, optical illusion!

---------

Loving the optical illusion :) and yes Hyperfirm is the best way to go. You can drop that off a 2 story building and it will just bounce back :) haha jk but it is very durable. Great looking gun too!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

are we talking the doopydoos full resin kit or the add-on kit for the hasbro E-11, I have the modded hasbro and it has survived falling over on a sidewalk, dropping onto my tile floor from sofa level, banged into a wall or too, and countless bouncing into people at a con.

Or are we talking about pipe built kits?

Doopy's ain't just Doopy's

There's a few kinds, with varying durability

Mine is an aluminium pipe, so it's probably tougher than a PVC one or a solid resin one

Hard to think how it would compare to a Hasbro (the Hasbros are durable for different reasons, there's a lot less resin to break, and they're lighter, so they're less likely to 'damage themselves' as it were, by bumping your leg in the holster and such)

Anyway

Literally hundreds of kids have handled my blaster, none have ever broken bits off

Sure, I wouldn't want to drop it or anything

But it has never struck me as fragile

(also note I used a stupid amount of glue and hidden screws all over the place)

And yeah, Hyperfirms are totally more durable (being almost indestructible)

My resin doopys stays home on display, Hasbro mod goes trooping. Neither is impossible to replace, but it stings a little less when it's a $40ish kit instead of $100 (estimated prices - haven't looked at their web site recently), although 'used' hasbros are getting a bit more difficult to source on craigslist...