School Carnival Fundraiser - Los Angeles

LadyInWhite

Last weekend I had the pleasure of POC-ing my first event, a fundraiser at my son's school. Every year the Halloween Carnival is their biggest fundraiser, raising money to pay for staff, teachers, computer lab, campus maintenance, etc. And in L.A., this is a big deal; schools keep cutting funding; most schools can't even afford a libriarian any more. Parent participation is critical to school performance. And these little carnivals are way better than bake sales!

This one is a huge community event, with booths, a haunted house, racing go-karts, rock climbing wall, carnival rides, inflatables, blah blah. So this year I decided to host a Shoot-a-Trooper booth, which they called "Stormtrooper Blasters" due to the sensitivity of some parents around the word "shoot" and "guns" and so on.

A rather handsome team showed up.

DSCN1214.thumb.jpg.82f8d52266997815f4de7e9bdbac6ac0.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Last weekend I had the pleasure of POC-ing my first event, a fundraiser at my son's school. Every year the Halloween Carnival is their biggest fundraiser, raising money to pay for staff, teachers, computer lab, campus maintenance, etc. And in L.A., this is a big deal; schools keep cutting funding; most schools can't even afford a libriarian any more. Parent participation is critical to school performance. And these little carnivals are way better than bake sales!

This one is a huge community event, with booths, a haunted house, racing go-karts, rock climbing wall, carnival rides, inflatables, blah blah. So this year I decided to host a Shoot-a-Trooper booth, which they called "Stormtrooper Blasters" due to the sensitivity of some parents around the word "shoot" and "guns" and so on.

A rather handsome team showed up.

DSCN1214.jpg

Admittedly my darn thighs were acting up again. I swear I'm going to buy some very light weight FX thighs to replace these very heavy AP ones...

Everyone got in on the action... including a vengeful Sith Lord...

DSCN1209.jpg

TKs made new friends...

DSCN1227.jpg

DSCN1212.jpg

As did Vader...

DSCN1228.jpg

Full photo album (taken by Vader's wife, so a little biased toward that typically self-centered Anakin guy) here.

I'm still waiting to hear how much the carnival raised this year, usually around $25,000, 100% of which goes to the school. Our booth was extremely popular. We had some kids who came back 7-8 times, and some kids would stay for an hour...

If I could do anything differently next year, it would be to put the backdrop in the shooting booth, and not have a separate photo booth. Nobody seemed to care about the photos so much as their desire to blast the troopers. Dang little rebels.

If i am approved for the southern cali garrison i am down to go next year :)

Sure was fun that night. Too bad I didn't have my own nerd gun to shoot back at all the pesky ones constantly aiming for my unit. Ah who am I kidding I would probably have done the same at that age :P