Ebay Advice

NinePoundHAmmer

Hey all,

I'm looking to get my first suit together and I came across a few kits on Ebay I was wondering about. The seller had a few of these auctions up: http://www.ebay.com/...ME:L:OU:US:3160

It says they are 501st approved and made from 2.5mm ABS plastic. Are these actually any good? Want to make sure I'm not ordering cheap plastic that will break in two seconds. Any feedback is much apprecaited. Thanks!

Run....run fast!!! That is not 501st approved and you would send more in trying to get it that way.

You are in the right place to research though. Check out this section and ask many more questions before buying. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showforum=38

Not 501st approved and a crazy looking helmet with a rivet in the back.

It's 2.5mm ABS which means you could probably beat the living hell out of it and it wouldn't break.

It looks like a mix of a FX recast and a rubies or something. I'm not really 100% on all the makes, but it looks kind of cheesy to me. If you want a halloween costume on the cheap, this wouldn't be a bad buy, but if you're looking to join the 501st and get into costuming an replicating the look of the movies, this is not for you.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to F.I.S.D.!

You did good by asking here.

Do Not Buy Armor on Ebay! Look around here on this site and ask questions. You will be glad you did.

Here are some questions to think about.

1. What Stormtrooper are you trying to imitate?

Star Wars, Empire, Jedi?????

2. How much do you want to spend?

Besides the armor, there are other accessories that are needed. Gloves, Neck Seal, Black undersuit, Boots, Blaster. If you are building, Glue, Clamps, Utility knife and replacement blades, Sand Paper, etc...

3. How good are you at building, measuring, cutting, using paints, etc...?

4. Are you in touch with your local 501st Garrison? If not please do so. You can have people who live near buy who can help out.

Good Luck in your quest in becoming a Stormtrooper. Always feel free to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge and talent here. You will learn alot!

Andy

Hi, Eric! If you are certain about becoming a Stormtrooper (awesome choice), you will want to get a good suit of armor from one of our armorers and avoid anything even remotely ebayish. This is how we make sure everyone's armor is truly top quality :)

You did the right thing coming here and asking first. :)

The second thing you need to do is avoid eBay at all costs. It may appear to be cheap and a great deal but the work and effort and money you will put in to replacing it...it justs adds up a lot.

Check out the thread about getting started . ;)

Wow thanks for the responses everyone! I had a feeling this wasn't going to be the real deal. Ideally I'm looking to recreate a tropper from Star Wars. With someone who has a flexible budget, would it be a bad idea to look into purchasing a kit like this just to practice building and cutting on?

I'd love to eventually become 501st approved but before investing in a really quality replica suit would love to get some practice with assembling a suit.

Thanks!

Hi Eric, and thanks for listening to our advice. :)

While it may seem like a good idea to buy it only for practice, it really isn't that hard to trim and assemble a real kit. So buying this one even if only for practise ends up as a waste of time and money. Even worse is that you'd contribute to making those ebay sellers make more money and help keep them around for fooling more people. So please don't bother with this kit at all.