Help Needed: Return edges

Okay, so after taking a look at the FX chest plate mod and return edge tutorial, I decided I MUST do the same to get my TK looking right.

I bought a hobby iron from my local hobby store, only $23 and man let me tell you, there are certain tools that pay for their investment with almost each use, first was my dremel and secondly is my heat sealing iron. It can really give your armor a much higher quality and finished look. If you havent already done so, PICK ONE UP! You'll be glad you did!

Here are a couple good ones I would recommend:

entry level:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/global-custom-heat-sealing-iron.html

superb:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/coverite-21st-century-iron.html

So my first attempt was my chest plate, say goodbye oversized FX (literally hanged down all the way over my belt, i really didnt have an option)

So I am a total noob with return edges so I need a few tips from those experienced ones of you. Be easy on me, I'm giving it my best effort to get my very first kit up to par with some of you pros (*cough* pandatrooper)

Here's what i'm working with:

OPzFxJ5.jpg

RVIP8Tx.jpg

NVOqz3M.jpg

lpK1cOu.jpg

My question is how do you guys get this totally smooth? I got sandpaper from 180-1500 grit with buff and was to bring back the shine, still has a dull look though!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Purchased the same hobby iron. Attempted a return edge on FX shoulder bells but didn't seem to get it. Can you explain a bit in detail how you used the hobby iron on the armor. I tried holding it in one spot to see if it would start bending back but it didn't, seemed more to just flatten the edge more. What did you do?

On 9/19/2012 at 12:42 PM, darthnayce1138 said:

Purchased the same hobby iron. Attempted a return edge on FX shoulder bells but didn't seem to get it. Can you explain a bit in detail how you used the hobby iron on the armor. I tried holding it in one spot to see if it would start bending back but it didn't, seemed more to just flatten the edge more. What did you do?

Nate,

It took me a while to get the nack of it but it takes a combination of patience, and slow consistent motions.

First, ensure your iron is not too hot, should leave a small mark with slight touch, but not extremely thin-out the plastic or turn brown over an extended duration. Practice a few times on a scrap piece or two.

Here's what I kinda threw together for you to get a better idea:

Don't try to force the return edge and angle your iron into the ABS edge, and certainly don't put it straight down onto the ABS edge, the typical results are shown below. If you notice major "curling" of the plastic or wavy warping marks flowing across the edge, you know you are most likely doing something wrong. You have to really get a good placement of the iron, and be slow and precise with it.

OjWmgOS.jpg

You are going to want to put your iron FLAT on the surface of the plastic, slightly lower than your marked intended return edge. Now applying SLIGHT pressure downwards into the edge, hold your iron there for a good 10-20 seconds or so. Rock the iron back and forth keeping everything consistently heating. As you notice the ABS start to begin its fold, slowly go back and forth over the edge of it, this helps prevent warping. Don't rush it. If it starts to get too flexible, STOP, let it cool andsimply start on it again. Blend each stretchd edge into another to keep an even line, and you will eventually have a somewhat decent looking rough product. To finish I had my dremel rotary sander to clean up the inside edge of the return and purchased the various sand papers and worked my way up in grit progressively until getting a nice, smooth, "almost like it was cast looking" edge.

Z2mi26d.jpg

Let me know if this helps, if you have the same iron as me, (top link) i found the best setting was actually the highest. (right past the 3 digit). also be very careful with rough, or unsanded edges with this iron! The teflon coat is extremely brittle, and cracks off like nothin. Have a few nice sized chips in mine after the first day of use. Rushing. second go went flawless, well as close as i could get it.

Fell free to ask questions or PM for further assistance!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I hope you don't mind, but this is about to become the world's most coveted how-to thread on Facebook and Twitter. :)

Keep the advice and directions coming, if there are more to share. Most everyone I know who tried this couldn't get it to work... but if it helps even one other trooper succeed, it's worth it's weight in virtual gold.

Good job and thanks!

• 1 year later...