Happy 46th birthday..... STAR TREK!

Sonnenschein

Speaking of boldly going where no Trekker has gone before ...

Seen at DragonCon last weekend - this is what happens when you leave your fan table unattended after hours ...

217841_10151410865969616_1427811390_n.jpg

Well played, TNG crew. :P

Well played for sure! It's a full season 1 crew, too. Good job!

Hey, I could Beverly Crusher now that I'm an old hag! :D I mean, let me rephrase that - because SHE is not an old hag. :P

Just started watching the original star trek series again, amazing how far we have gone with special effects lol

How is the Blu-Ray conversion? I've been wondering if it'd be worth getting...

I was just discussing early TNG on another forum yesterday, and someone made a good point- it ages well, because it's so optimistic (and optimism always ages better than cynicism).

They did an awesome job on the conversion. It may be a little pricy, but it's def worth it.

But season 1 is sometimes a little cheesy, almost TOS like.

It is! Cheesy, slightly campy, and super-optimistic! I love that about it.

I'd be willing to wait for season 2 though. For hi-def, I mostly want to see the Borg cube in all its glory- ugly as hell, but the thing is practically pure greeblies in cube form... the DETAIL :blink:

According to what I heard, the parts from the cube could have come from literally any kit- it was apparently completely made from the snap-out trays that the bits come on.

I see a vision of the future, with screencaps and much squinting of eyes...

Of course you know R2 actually appeared in 'Trek '09, yeah?

YES!

No wonder we could never find the droid we were looking for- little bugger was in a different universe!

I've never been able to spot the Enterprise in Coruscant, though. :(

I'm not even sure which episode it was in (I think it was TPM)

Edited by Darth Furious

from here:http://furiousfanboys.com/2010/06/the-best-star-wars-easter-eggs/

Regarding the famous Return of the Jedi tennis shoe…

One of the most famous legends about Star Wars is the presence of a tennis shoe in Return of the Jedi. While this was apparently fixed in the 1997 Special Edition; they did actually exist in the original version; although they are close to impossible to see. A 2003 issue of Star Wars Insider Magazine delved into this legend, and this is what they had to say complete with quotes from the effects artists who did it:

To the untrained eye, one on-screen ship from RETURN OF THE JEDI might look less like the Millennium Falcon that something far more ordinary – a tennis shoe – but it played its part in arguably the greatest space battle ever filmed. The pitched warfare over Endor was the most demanding assignment George Lucas had presented to the artist at Industrial Light & Magic up to that time, and it remains the standard by which all others must be measured. That a flying tennis shoe could remain unseen amid the tumult and chaos of some 50 ships careening into combat is a testament to the acheivement of former ILM effects virtuoso Ken Ralston, who supervised the sequence…..

…..Which brings us back to Ralston’s tennis shoe – among other things – and the fact that it’s an amazing accomplishment just to see how many ships there are buzzing around the moon of Endor, or how many ships there seems to be. “I was always trying to stick stuff into shots,†Ralston laughs. “JEDI has my tennis shoes and also a yogurt container as part of the ships in the background! Who would know? It’s like there’s all this stuff going on – and I thought, ‘Hey, it’d be fun.’ It was my way of just saying, ‘See what you can get away with?’ Some people noodle this stuff so much, fretting about it, but it’s like, you know, you can’t tell what this stuff is – just stick it out there!â€

IIRC, the potatoe was one of the asteroids in ESB

Love the name of that site. :D

Some people were trying to identify background ships in ESB, came up with this:

1024px-Rebel_fleet_ESB.jpg

Must have floated a long way from Bespin... :huh:

Edited by Darth Furious

Karin, start at middle right, look inward about an inch. It's half-hidden in a hole of sorts.

I really don't want to 'spoiler' it for you (it's so much funnier if you see it without knowing what it is in advance), but if you still don't see it, I will tell you exactly what to look for.