New E-11...another satisfied customer!

DAZZ

I just got my new blaster from TK Bondservnt 2392, and am very impressed with the details that were put into it!

If anyone is looking for a great scratch built, I recommend that you get on the waiting list :duim:

This means that I MUST get my ATA ESB done soon!

Thanks again Vern ;)

post-1584-0-09159300-1344311343.jpg

post-1584-0-05768600-1344311392.jpg

post-1584-0-72115900-1344311487.jpg

smooth blasters are wrong. texture is on the real thing.

sergiu likes it. my real sterling has texture... but I suppose most people are used to looking

at a sterling replica that has been repainted and sanded down.

martin, I don't think you understand the "shoddy" paint job is the result of having a real un painted sterling texture set to work from.

sure... people like shiny and smooth paintjobs. but they are wrong.

even the "hammered" paintjobs that some have done don't show the real texture of the REAL sterling paint.

the flash on his photos has created a lot of highlights. it looks like it has white spots on it.

but in a less lightening light the paint looks much better.

the paint was done in several stages, primer, primer, texture with putty applied in the proper locations.

flat black inside, gunmetal bolt, inner spring gunmetal, gunmetal trigger, weathered bolt.

all weathering was done with gunmetal silver drybrushing and hand rubbing.

sealed with a matte clear.

grips are a weathered gloss replicating the finish on real grips.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I'll make sure that I take a plethora of new pictures this weekend with natural light.

I'll get the details of the scope, folding stock, ammo clip...everything.

That way everyone can have a better appreciation for this blaster. :duim:

My Sterling blaster also has some texture on it, not as pronounced but it is there. It is not shiny and smooth. I sprayed it with a bit of silicone to clean it up but when that evaporates (about 1 month) it will be again flat paint. But from what i recall there are two types of paint applied to real Sterlings: one with texture and one without too much.

smooth blasters are wrong. texture is on the real thing.

grips are a weathered gloss replicating the finish on real grips.

Exactly, the last thing you want is a weapons system that slips out of your hands during a fire fight.

I'd like to see this build without a harsh direct flash.

Vern, do you have any to post?

Link for texture reference:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/07/joe-grine/gun-review-century-arms-international-wise-lite-arms-sterling-sporter/

Exactly, the last thing you want is a weapons system that slips out of your hands during a fire fight.

Pardon, but none of my weapons used in military was wrinkle painted. You don´t want it shiny to avoid reflections by night, but if someone is not able to hold a wet and slippery gun, he better drives a green truck, or is playing vidgames in a bunker behind the lines. ;)

Sterlings were made by licensed subcontractors all over the (british) empire, they were not all made the same way over all the decades it was in production - not in details and not in paint. So there is not "THE Sterling", but many versions. I know that Vern is convinced by his opinion that his painting is the ultimate accurate version, but it is no general fact. Just the version he likes to explain. ;)

I assume this http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/deactivated-guns/modern-deactivated-guns/deactivated-sterling-smg/prod_223.html is also no real one, cause it didn´t match his rough (with missing areas) wrinklepaint-theory (and indeed some sterlings looked that way, but not all)?

Sure, they shouldn´t have a shiny gloss black, as they are no cars with top quality paintjobs - they just got a quick and sometimes uneven bath with paint, with all it´s small imperfections. Not flat black, more a satin, semiflat black. Sometimes even repainted while in military use, if to much surface is damaged scratched.

Just my 2 cants, for what it´s worth. :)

Pardon, but none of my weapons used in military was wrinkle painted. You don´t want it shiny to avoid reflections by night, but if someone is not able to hold a wet and slippery gun, he better drives a green truck, or is playing vidgames in a bunker behind the lines. ;)

I'm sure your HK G36 or HK MG4 weapons systems were, but a UK soldier from the 50's had that crude cylinder to deal with.

Where ever your hand is meant to touch my BCM M4 weapons system there's a nice grip and is painted to match the terrain.

Whether the the metal on the Sterling was ruff out of the factory or texture painted...I have no clue.

From the link you sent it looks different from the one I posted and as much as I like to discuss weapons I don't want to split hairs on the subject.

However, I'm sure that Vern is making his E11's to mirror the Sterling he has in his possession that I'd like to see pictures of.

Vern, can you post up a pic of the real deal next to one of your E11's?

in the 70's they actually made and sold sterlings with crinkle paint.

in the star wars films, the blank firing weapons had to be pre 70's imports

to england for the blank firing scenes at elstree.

the weapons used were the 1950's sterling with phosphate zinc finishes which were then anodised black.

zinc finishes are VERY textured. then bapty painted them again, for an even rougher finish.

the tubes on later spec weapons sent to germany have all been stripped of original paints during the demill process.

that's why they are smooth.

most star wars blasters that are smooth have been demilled by a gunsmith, which requires the removal of paint to weld

and braize the parts back on.

zinc finishes have to be ground off with a grinder to get all the oxides off.

in the promo shots with carrie fisher you can clearly see a new spec folding stock and crinkle paint.

in the film you can clearly see han firing an old spec pre 60's version with phosphate anodize finish.

here's a couple of excerpts from the discussion I link below:

Q

"Sterling L2A3 Wrinkle Finish Paint

A question for the Britishlink6.gif contingent I suspect, but when did Sterling SMG's gain their wrinkle finish paint? was it applied in the factory, or a base refurbishment feature - and if so when did it become a feature?

Thanks in advance of some quality posts!

"

A

"Sterling SMG's were painted with the wrinkle finish during new production when going for commercial or export sales. Britishlink6.gif military variants were painted with smooth Suncorite 259 paint at the factory and during subsequent FTR programs."

A

"Dead right Brian. Additionally, the crackle paint was painted over the phosphate finish. It was the same paint, made by TRIMITE, that was used on MGB dashboards if you're interested"

A

"I've experimented here doing Sterling refinishing for customers using a crinkle finish paint I get from a company called Easton. I apply it over fresh manganese phosphate and it's very tough once cured out and has the same fine crinkle like the originals."

(he's talking about 70's crinkle finish guns sent from sterling.)

A

"|The UKlink6.gif Military spec for the Fazakerley and Sterling SMG's specified the bog standard UK MoD finish. This included the L34 silenced guns too which put the Sterling company out a bit because when the UK MoD ordered xxx (restricted quantity), they couldn't be supplied from stock because the stocks were all crackle finish. So they had to do a new run, just for the UK MoD.

As a matter of interest, the UK MoD found themselves sitting on a large quantity of commercial crackle finish end caps and butts. In order to utilise these within the spares supply system, special relaxation was sought - and approved. But there was no relaxation granted for a large quantity of commercial crackle finish casings. As a result, they were scrapped although some were bought back by Sterling. So, in theory, the owner of an ex UK Military gun could have a crackle finish butt and/or end cap. But that's all............. Not plain finish, Not UK Military

There's a good, cheap little book about the Sterling SMG that you might enjoy reading Stan. Available from Collector Grade I seem to remember"

here's a link of british military types discussing the 70's paintjjobs done. 70's sterling paint

I'll try to post photos of original finish weapons from both periods. 50's and 70's

the main point here is that the factory in the 70's painted them with a rough finish. and the UK MoD had changed it's spec from rough

to smooth.

in the 60's and earlier versions in the 50's we have different methods of finish used.

here's one demil with all of it's finish removed.

file_14_2.jpg

Sterlings were made by licensed subcontractors all over the (british) empire, they were not all made the same way over all the decades it was in production - not in details and not in paint. So there is not "THE Sterling", but many versions. I know that Vern is convinced by his opinion that his painting is the ultimate accurate version, but it is no general fact. Just the version he likes to explain. ;)

I assume this http://www.deactivat...g/prod_223.html is also no real one, cause it didn´t match his rough (with missing areas) wrinklepaint-theory (and indeed some sterlings looked that way, but not all)?

Sure, they shouldn´t have a shiny gloss black, as they are no cars with top quality paintjobs - they just got a quick and sometimes uneven bath with paint, with all it´s small imperfections. Not flat black, more a satin, semiflat black. Sometimes even repainted while in military use, if to much surface is damaged scratched.

Just my 2 cants, for what it´s worth. :)

that gun has been repainted after demil.

the finish has been ground off and repainted.

it's not my idea... it's the different paintjobs in the film sterlings that I can and do replicate.

I can do crinkle, promo or 50's style.

the esb version shown in this thread by the original poster is an ESB version designed to be

shown as a original finish gun, painted over with paint by the prop department, or bapty's gun prop store.

THAT alone is why it's so rough.

if anyone wants a british spec smooth, that's easy. but those finish types were not used

in STAR WARS.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious why Master Replicas used the flat type of paint on their E-11. If they had a screen used blaster with crinkle paint in hands, I'm sure they could have replicated that appearance, at least to some degree.

I have a casting from a real sterling and it's filled with bumps.

my original sterling parts have a texture that's not crinkle paint because they are not 70's commercial sterling they are older.

have texture applied during a chemical bath then are painted

and then were painted again.

then shot on screen.

no original prop is a shiny smooth paint.

only the promo photos use crinkle, and I've never seen a crinkle paint in any screenshot.

most closeups use the older real sterlings

Nice blaster, after searching around the forums I have noticed Vern's name popping up a lot, very good builds and a wealth of knowledge