Best holster for a trooper on a budget?

I have come to the point in my build when I have everything except the belt, the holster, and the E-11. I bought my belt this morning from trooperbay and I will be ordering my doopydoos all resin E-11 this afternoon. I am undecided as to which holster is the best and doesn't break the bank. I decided against the trooperbay one and wanted to get one here. The cheapest one I can find is not made in the US and is made out of faux leather. I just can't decide!

Any advice?

Sorry Vern. I wasn't implying that yours were budget holsters. I just like to point members in the direction of trusted sellers that make quality goods.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this would apply, but Tandy leather sometimes sells oil tanned scrap by the pound.

I just picked up a scrap big enough for probably 2 holsters for $12.

It means you have to make your own, but if you've already set snaps for your kit you've done the hardest part. There are templates and instructions out there that only need a little modifying. Trace them out on paper first to make sure that they fit your e-11 and all works well.

It's a pretty easy leather project - I found it a lot less intimidating than cutting into the plastic.Granted I've done leather work before - so familiarity probably helped some.

So very budget conscious, but you have to invest a bit of time.

P.S. - skip buying leather needles for a sewing machine and instead buy a thonging chisel - it runs between $6 - $9 and you use it to punch the holes needed to stitch the leather up. Lot less frustration and broken needles when you have the right tools.

I don't know if this would apply, but Tandy leather sometimes sells oil tanned scrap by the pound.

I just picked up a scrap big enough for probably 2 holsters for $12.

It means you have to make your own, but if you've already set snaps for your kit you've done the hardest part. There are templates and instructions out there that only need a little modifying. Trace them out on paper first to make sure that they fit your e-11 and all works well.

It's a pretty easy leather project - I found it a lot less intimidating than cutting into the plastic.Granted I've done leather work before - so familiarity probably helped some.

So very budget conscious, but you have to invest a bit of time.

P.S. - skip buying leather needles for a sewing machine and instead buy a thonging chisel - it runs between $6 - $9 and you use it to punch the holes needed to stitch the leather up. Lot less frustration and broken needles when you have the right tools.

This is exactly what I did: found some leather scraps, cut it according to plans found online and when I was all done my total cost was $26.

• 2 months later...

Don't think of your holster as a cheap un important item on the side.

A good leather holster is a beautiful part of your costume and functional.

I regularly holster and de holster my blaster during troops for various reasons and goings on.

The difference has only got to be around $20 over there.

My advice is either make your own from the real leather scraps, or save up and order it next week.