Did not head the warnings and SDS assembled does not fit - Need options

Hi all

As mentioned I did not heed the warnings either directly or via my research that assembled armour is not the best move unless you're an 'average' sized body.

I ordered a fully assembled kit and did request that although the armour suits 5'6" to 6'2" I was concerned that my "Rugby player ( insert similar to NFL/AFC player but at 5'10" ) build would be too big for the armour. i was assured that the armour would be made to suit my body dimensions and not just height.

The remainder of the suit fits well e.g. ab, butt, chest, belt, shoulder bells, upper biscep arms however....

Alas, unfortunately the forearms, thighs and claves simply do not fit....

How can I close the gaps below... or shall I give up and order forearms, thighs & calves from say, Trooper Master or RT-MODs who have a larger fit.

Forearms (Both)

R Forearm gap: approx 25mm

SDSArmour7.jpg

L Forearm gap: approx 25mm

SDSArmour4.jpg

Photos Below - The Thighs:

Right thigh is very tight however, the Left thigh will not close thus, leaving an ugly and certainly not approvable gap.

Left thigh gap: approx 60mm

SDSArmour20.jpg

Both thighs need modifying. The L as shown above needs to be closed 60mm and the R needs to be opened 30-50mm to allow comfortable movement.

The fronts of the thighs cover strip is 25mm however, it is welded on an not able to be taken apart (I thought I could poss widen the front cover strip to 40mm then have also have a 40mm cover strip in the rear to give me an extra 50mm width. Although, as emntioned the front cover strip will NOT break apart as it's welded so I only have the rear velcro join to work with.

This is true for all of these parts...forearms, thighs and calves.

I believe only the calves really need to open so I'll weld/glue shut the forearms and thighs once I can extend/widen them to suit my body dimensions.

Lastly, the biggest gap:

The Left Calf: approx 70mm

SDSArmour21-1.jpg

As mentioned I gave the supplier my body dimensions so I would not be in this situation so I'm currently waiting for SDS to get back because I still believe he has not ripped me off or anything like that

I have now emailed a Trooper Master & RT-MODs re buying NEW forearms, thighs and calves kits that I'll assemble to suit my own dimensions just in case the above items are a write-off.

Therefore, this posting is NOT about AA or SDS but more about - How can I go about closing these gaps.

Cheers,

Edited by ScorpioPete

Sorry to hear of your trouble mate. Before you start trying to make the armour fit you it might be worth asking for a refund. You say you provided measurments so surely you have not been given what you was told you would. I was ask for a refund first and if not at least a replacement suit. This sucks.

Sorry to hear of your trouble mate. Before you start trying to make the armour fit you it might be worth asking for a refund. You say you provided measurments so surely you have not been given what you was told you would. I was ask for a refund first and if not at least a replacement suit. This sucks.

Cheers, man.

I'm waiting to hear back and have requested some options to fix this such as, new pieces but poss in KIT that I'll assemble, accepting these back for another try at assembled parts or any other options AA might have that I've not spotted one such option could be refunding these items, i'll bin them and buy the affected items from say, Trooper master or RT-MODs who suit the larger trooper.

Yes, a refund could certainly be an option given that the whole outfit is $1600 US assembled or $1580Aud assembled so yes, a lot to spend....given that assembled is approx $600 US more than kit I would at least expect this to fit with minimal adjustment not the huge modifications. Thus, I've paid approx $600 for assembly that only partly fits.

I did pay because ..firstly AA confirmed he would assemble to my body dimensions because I was concerned that I suited the height but my rugby player thighs are big, secondly, I did have the spare money and thirdly (and this part is my lesson learnt) I was not confident on my own building skills... however, given that I can see just what is involved i feel that I would have been able to build this.

As I've mentioned on the TAG (Terror Australis Garrison).... I'll put my hand up and say, Yes, guys (and gals).... I did not head the warnings that an assembled outfit will NEVER be the same as assembling your self... so yes, a $1600 lesson learnt. Although, I'm still confident that AA from SDS will help me sort through this because I do believe he has not ripped me off.

I'm a trusting man and will place my trust in him helping me..... I'm just looking for answers incase I need to modify as a worse case.

The reason I'm looking to modify is because AA may indeed refund the affected parts and I'll go about modifying them... as ,mentioned, the remainder is brilliant and I'm waiting for AA to get back as I only recieved the outfit on Thursday 3rd May.

Edited by ScorpioPete

I bought the fully assembled SDS as well for the same reason, I was not confident in my building skills at the start. I had to do a LOT of work on it, but it was the other way around for me, it was to big. But I would have had that issue with armor from anyone, and i knew this going in. I don't regret buying a fully assembled, as I would have been lost starting from a scratch kit.

His pieces are made to a specific size, so getting pieces un assembled might not really help you. From the picks i dont think you will get your needed wiggle room. Unless you make your shims wider.

I received amazing service from him. He replaced some defective pieces for me no problem. But that wasn't a return...

The other option is to replace the effected parts. You can always sell the other parts seperatley as those of us with SDS armor sometimes have accidents and need a new leg or arm. I almost lost a thigh last troop, and would have been in need of one...

Edited by Sparrow

I bought the fully assembled SDS as well for the same reason, I was not confident in my building skills at the start. I had to do a LOT of work on it, but it was the other way around for me, it was to big. But I would have had that issue with armor from anyone, and i knew this going in. I don't regret buying a fully assembled, as I would have been lost starting from a scratch kit.

His pieces are made to a specific size, so getting pieces un assembled might not really help you. From the picks i dont think you will get your needed wiggle room. Unless you make your shims wider.

I received amazing service from him. He replaced some defective pieces for me no problem. But that wasn't a return...

The other option is to replace the effected parts. You can always sell the other parts seperatley as those of us with SDS armor sometimes have accidents and need a new leg or arm. I almost lost a thigh last troop, and would have been in need of one...

Thanks... yes, I'm very happy with the remaining 70% of the armour it's just the forearms, thighs and calves. I'll wait and see what reply I get however, it is looking like the gaps are too wide to effectivily fix and if fixed would look poor....so I'm leaning towards NEW thighs, calves and forerams.

The angle on the forearms photo gap looks bad because of the angle created by joining the velcro at the wrist but the gap can be lessened when the forearms are parallel however, it's nevertheless still a significant gap.

Cheers

sorry to here about your prob bro . short cuts never pay off . that is why it is called " research " . Their are so many good suppliers out their now that make a good product unlike when I started when their was just 2 to pick from over 10 yrs ago . Contacting your local garrison will help out to .

Thanks man, yes, onto local garrison TAG but a greater membership base here on FISD so greater chance of finding answers.

I researched however, true to form the net (This forum included) has such a plethora of information that it's easier said than done. I felt I had done sufficient research and I enquired with other members who had fully assembled SDS and the replies were superb no mention of fittment issue. I also researched suppliers hence I know that Trooper Master and RT-MOD have larger fitting armour. Thus my research indicated that SDS fully assembled was the way to go... and laslty, I communicated with AA at SDS re my concerns that I fit the height specs but I was concerned that I was muscular hence, I supplied body dimensions in my emails and over the phone when I paid...always being confirmed that they would be taken into consideration during assembly.

Cheers,

can I ask what your measurements are?

from the look of your body size there's no way you're going to fit inside

standard armor.

15" forearms? 30" thighs?

17" calf/shin?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

can I ask what your measurements are?

from the look of your body size there's no way you're going to fit inside

standard armor.

15" forearms? 30" thighs?

17" calf/shin?

Don't mean to steal anyones thread but with those measurements what armor would be the best fit ?

can I ask what your measurements are? from the look of your body size there's no way you're going to fit inside standard armor. 15" forearms? 30" thighs? 17" calf/shin?

Most welcome to ask

Forearms: 15 inches

Upper arm/Biscep: 18inches

Thighs: 27inchs

Calf/shin: 22inches

Other the big calves/shins... the others should be ok. The forearms when closed completely are a very tight fit but too tight to troop in.

I'm thinking as mentioned, a larger supplier fit.. waiting to hear back from Trooper master & RT-MODs re their larger fit armour.

All the videos I have watched indicate I should be able to step into the armour with the exception of the shins

Cheers,

I bought the RT-MOD armor and here are my dimensions

Calves - 17 - No cutting and has a little wiggle room when fully velcroed

Thighs - 24 1\2 - I had to cut 1\2 to an inch off to get a better fit

Biceps - 15

Forearms - 13 - No cutting and I use velcro to close them

Here is what RT-MOD originally sent me when I inquired, but this is from Oct 2011 so he may have changed things.

Suit comes with fully assembled helmet - ready to wear.

-Made from .090 ABS

-All plastic components are cut, trimmed and ready for assembly.

-The suit will fit an individual up to 6"3", 220lbs depending on weight distribution.

-Key measurements are as follows: (....shims would be required beyond these.)

-Calves - 17"

-Thighs - 26"

-Waist - 40"

-Forearm - 13.5"

-Bicep - 16"

-Helmet – 24â€

-Remaining components are not size critical

Link to my build thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18247

Unless they can make the armor pieces bigger you may have to shim them. I am going to have to do more deadlifts and squats if I am ever to catch up with your thighs :D

I bought the RT-MOD armor and here are my dimensions

Calves - 17 - No cutting and has a little wiggle room when fully velcroed

Thighs - 24 1\2 - I had to cut 1\2 to an inch off to get a better fit

Biceps - 15

Forearms - 13 - No cutting and I use velcro to close them

Here is what RT-MOD originally sent me when I inquired, but this is from Oct 2011 so he may have changed things.

Suit comes with fully assembled helmet - ready to wear.

-Made from .090 ABS

-All plastic components are cut, trimmed and ready for assembly.

-The suit will fit an individual up to 6"3", 220lbs depending on weight distribution.

-Key measurements are as follows: (....shims would be required beyond these.)

-Calves - 17"

-Thighs - 26"

-Waist - 40"

-Forearm - 13.5"

-Bicep - 16"

-Helmet – 24â€

-Remaining components are not size critical

Link to my build thread:

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=18247

Unless they can make the armor pieces bigger you may have to shim them. I am going to have to do more deadlifts and squats if I am ever to catch up with your thighs :D

Thanks... I've recieved an email from RT-MODs re his armout and it looks like I might need to 'shim'

Maybe I'm simply too big (not tall) a build (damed rugby :-) and I need to look at a new outfit.... maybe I should dismiss storm/clone troopers and possibly costume as Malakili Jabba's Rancor keeper !

Be honest but not disrespectful, can a bloke with my measurements (mostly big thighs/calves/foreams) costume as a trooper... I'm sure I'm not the only big (not tall) trooper however, with large thighs, calves and forearms... maybe I should investiagte a different costume?

Cheers, all

@Peter - Yes, it can be done. The most recent (and relevant) example is here: http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=18965

Great link, thanks tkrestonva

I'll get onto "Sergeant', he's 3inchs bigger in the biscep (wow, impressive 19" biscep) ... 0.5inch bigger in forearms....1.5inch smaller in the wrist.... 6kg (13lbs) heavier.....and I'll investiage the AM - Lite armour

Thanks for the superb link.

Kindest regards, Peter

It looks more and more like I need new thighs and most definately news shins and possibly new foreams (If I cannot shim the forearms rears). Unfortunately, the shins and thighs need too big a shim on the rear to make them wearable..alas, the drawback of purchasing assembled but being a bigger body ...

Cheers, and one again, thank you very much for the link.

Pete

Edited by ScorpioPete

Excellent outcome

Andrew at SDS will post for FREE....NEW forearms, shins and thighs, untrimmed (so I can cut & Build to my chunky body) he will include lots of ABS glue, shims and extra ABS...

I can keep the assembled forearms, shins and thighs as reference to help build the new items..

Although, I was concerned but not angry I always felt that Andrew would look after me and he has... NO questions or complaint, just a few emails to guage sizing options and once that failed NEW and FREE replacement items.

I'm purchasing a new set of armour from SDS later (Shadow trooper) however, this time lesson learnt.... I'll order the kit and BUILD it to suit. I was warned a lot on the TAG garrison that fully assembled is not a good option and building is the only real way to have correct fitting armour...

I trust SDS and I trust Andrew...I just don't trust fully assembled by anyone other than Me.

Cheers, for all the superb offers of advice and the help. This truly is a superb forum, at no stage was I made to feel like a fool or feel attacked... i was just offered superb advice and help and that's a rare commodity these day.

Cheers, Pete

Glad to hear that. I thought that is what he might do. He gives fantastic customer service, one can't argue with that.

Hold onto those spare parts. Once you are done using them as reference, perhaps you might be interested in selling them? :smiley-sw013:

Glad to hear that. I thought that is what he might do. He gives fantastic customer service, one can't argue with that.

Hold onto those spare parts. Once you are done using them as reference, perhaps you might be interested in selling them? :smiley-sw013:

Never doubted Andrew..only doubted the fully assembled route... I did offer to send the non fitting items back as they are costed at $700+USD and I also offered to pay return post because was kind enough to send 2X new shins, 2X news calves, 2X new forearms, plus shims, spare ABS strips and lots of ABS glue (ABS & acetone/MEK I think it is...but not sure of the exact formula..although, that matters little as he is sending more than enough). However, Andrew was only too happy to allow me to keep the assembled items and to also then send me NEW untrimmed items for me to cut to size. He did comment I was "chunky" so best I cut and trim to suit.

I'll use the fully assembled armour as a build guide but once these new items are made the "old (but never used so new) assembled' armour is really of no value to me and although, selling is an option I would feel selfish to sell. I'll most likely put them up for free and 'reciever' just pays post, they will suit a medium built person or a slender person with some foam padding. I do hope the reciever does not onsell them as that's just selfish and a poor excuse for a caring human being.

I'm not sure if I need to use the sniper Plate and ammo strip from these legs for the new items Andrew is sending so I'll need to wait and see what arrives.

I have read and continue to read about his amazing customer service and that continues to be true, Andrew does offer superb Armour and excellent customer service. (Not a sale pitch but a first hand observation)

Cheers, Pete

Edited by ScorpioPete

Wow, you are a big guy for sure! Glad it worked out. It'd also be possible to shim those parts out so they'd close if needed.

Yes, that good Maori/Polynesian blood... makes for good warriors though and for good rugby or NFL players.. I noticed "Sergeant" also did a build for a big built (but not fat) male so his build details have been of superb value albeit, a differently sourced armour supplier.

I should be able to shim the armour no differently to the techniques that "Sergeant" adopted hence, the end result should retain a similarly balanced yet not overly "Conan" look.

I'm considering a Jango Fett build because the costume has more flexibility and importantly the original actor Temuera morrison is a Maori like me, so our Maori olive complextion should look more authentic, as will our similar tone/accent of voice...Cheers,

Oh, and Fem trooper rock .....an awesome sexy, yet not demure look, well done.

Edited by ScorpioPete

Are you going to post your build, or should I say modification? Which helmet did you get? I went with the Hero. Feel free to take a peek at my build to see what I did with my SDS armour. Lots of mods. It took me two months of solid work to get it to where I wanted it.

I might recommend too use E6000 for your build as opposed to ABS glue. When you make mistakes, which you will, it is easy to pull E6000 apart after it dries. ABS is impossible as the pieces are fused. Plus if you add too much, you can warp the plastic due to the heat generated. E6000 is also super easy to use and works great.

Are you going to post your build, or should I say modification? Which helmet did you get? I went with the Hero. Feel free to take a peek at my build to see what I did with my SDS armour. Lots of mods. It took me two months of solid work to get it to where I wanted it.

I might recommend too use E6000 for your build as opposed to ABS glue. When you make mistakes, which you will, it is easy to pull E6000 apart after it dries. ABS is impossible as the pieces are fused. Plus if you add too much, you can warp the plastic due to the heat generated. E6000 is also super easy to use and works great.

Hi Sparrow

Thanks, I'll take a look at your build and yes, I've been advised by a few TAG (Terror Australis Garrison) members to also use E6000. Our TAG local squad leader Azrael from TAG has offered to help with the build in his "shed" and he has E6000 on hand..

Cheers

Edited by ScorpioPete