trooper helmet ear not fit right

i trimmed my ear and attached it, and i have major space on front and back, if i move the it and drill new holes then it fits better, or so it seems, i really dont want to drill new holes and find out it doesnt work. Has anyone had this problem with the AP helmet and if so how did you fix it.

3YG2FeH.jpgoTDicGR.jpgnnpbmvz.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

It looks ok to me but if you want it tighter you can push it together without the bolt in it and drill a new set of hole underneath the bottom of the ear piece. Thats what I did to get a smaller gap but no matter what you will still have a little gap. If you look at reference photos of the on screen helmets most of them had some visible gap around the ears.

Curtis :D

It looks ok to me but if you want it tighter you can push it together without the bolt in it and drill a new set of hole underneath the bottom of the ear piece. Thats what I did to get a smaller gap but no matter what you will still have a little gap. If you look at reference photos of the on screen helmets most of them had some visible gap around the ears.

Curtis :D

can you possibly post pics about what you mean?

You could try trimming more plastic away to help bring it closer to the helmet. One thing I have learned about the ear caps is to rough trim them first, then offer up and see where to trim more. Offer up again and trim again until you get it close. I suppose it is different with an AP because it has the holes pre-drilled so they should all be assembled the same but even so, the ear caps are tricky to get right.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I found with my AP helmet that the left ear fits real well and the right ear fits completely differently and not very good. I made the mistake of initially trimming them the same way. So my advice is be very careful when trimming them since they are physically different shapes.

i trimmed my ears exactly like you did on my first AP and much to my horror realised there was too much of a gap a bit too late.

i've learnt to ignore the trim lines and hole dimples to get a nice ear fit and brow position on the AP lid.

Unfortunately there isnt much you can do now (You could always try and get a new set of ears and try again) but as people have stated it aint no biggy.

Cut it like this in back and push the bottom out. Redrill a new hole and it shoud look a bit better. First cut it and then see how it fits...

thanks, i think ill try that. I also noticed that the bottom holes on the helmet arnt actually lined up like on the other side, so the "ridge" part has to bend to fit....... which i dont know for sure but i think if i drill new holes then it wont have to bend and will fit alot more snug correct me if im wrong

TK-4510 said:
Cut it like this in back and push the bottom out. Redrill a new hole and it shoud look a bit better. First cut it and then see how it fits...

This is exactly what AP recommended to me. As I got the suit directly from his hands (not delivered), he had traced cut lines directly on the ear piece. Rounding up that corner will result in a much better fit. I don't like the clarity of those images, but at least, it's demonstrating the idea of rounding that corner ...

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

My AP helmet arrived yesterday! Woo-Hoo! :dance:

I used the "rounded corner" trimming technique on my earpieces after stuffing myself on turkey today, and I think it turned out really well.

I literally sat if front of the computer with BigTurc's pics up, and tried to emulate the curves on his bucket.

I'd post pics, but currently the helmet's all covered in blue tape and newspaper-- I'm painting the interior tomorrow. Awwww yeah. B)

A question for everyone that has an AP kit -- after owning the FX, the ABS on my helmet seems really thin. Particularly in the indents for the Hovis.

If I hold the faceplate up to the light, it's almost translucent in a couple of spots. And I also notice some swirling within the plastic. <_<

Has anyone else noticed simiar properties in their AP bucket?

I'm really curious...

Hope everyone had an awesome thanksgiving!

Thanks again, Al, for posting the photos. It's been a HUGE help to me while I've been putting together my helmet!

Well, happy to know my pictures are used as a reference :) Well worth the effort put into these, which is really not that big !!!

If it can make you feel better, my bucket has the same "issue" ... which is not an issue, where within the hovis cavities, the plastic is really thin. Just be careful not to pick up your helmet by pushing the Hovis in .. I think that could be pretty bad in my case .. again, maybe not! I've played a lot around that area while installing the speakers and wiring everything (see helmet thread), and I had no problem at all.

I've seen the swirling too, but it's really just under some intense lighting and really close, basically, impossible to see.

Hope this helps and now, stop searching the problems and complete the suit! :)