RS Prop master Stunt helmet head bump

This is the only thing I could find

esMhl.jpg

BUT that could just be a drip from the house paint or whatever they used over the khaki ABS. I really don't know much about the production of armor :P

Edited by anphrax

Not a screen cap from ANH but this was posted on The Prop Den by TrooperMaster:

6ctFRrM.jpg

Quote: TrooperMaster - "I'm positive this is the exact suit and helmet that Simon now owns. The two right forearms, no ribbed shoulder straps, no abdomen button plate (even looks to be painted black in the divet) and the rivets on bottom edge of the chest instead of on the lip are all the same as Simons. The helmet has the same cut out eyes. Below the ear cap has a piece of the helmet sticking out in exactly the same place as well as the face plate being in the same position.

There was always something strange about the details of this suit that didn't add up when I first saw this photo. Now I have had time to study more reference photos I am positive that this one above IS Simons.

I am looking forward to seeing a photo of Simons helmet before he removed the paint. I bet it has the very same distinctively short vent stripes in the tear duct and 14 stripes on the right hand side tube."

Link to thread--------

And my RS Helmet for more angles in case anyone wants to do some digging and find it on-screen.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Isn't the paint could exaggerate the bump?

I mean that when you apply several layer of paint on fresh coat, the paint can react and create some bumps. That could explain why this ESB helmet is so bumpy. (considering that it already have bumps on the HDPE)

This is the only thing I could find

esMhl.jpg

BUT that could just be a drip from the house paint or whatever they used over the khaki ABS. I really don't know much about the production of armor :P

Thanks Andy. I also checked out your build thread, looks great.

Looks intersting. I wonder if that 1/2 inch dent on the top show up on a RS lid?

Yeah, the bumps are a definite texture inside the helmets. I am sure the one you have highlighted is a present on the tool. Maybe some of the other texture can be explained by being present on the plastic underside before forming. The material, to make ponds as AA tells it, is more of an industrial plastic and is not supplied with any protective films etc. It if is formed with dirt and dust on it, between the plastic and the tool it will be present on the pulled piece. Also, when formed the front of the back and cap will naturally stretch and thin more than most of the other areas on the piece, thus showing more imperfections.  The inside of the helmet has what can only be described as brush strokes inside. I asked Brian Muir if this could ever have come from the sculpt or mould, he thought it was extremely unlikely it was from the sculpt, as a brush wa not used to finish the clay, but it was possible (but unlikely) it was from the gel coat of the tools. Maybe, thinking about it the brush strokes atre from cleaning the plastic. When puling the HDPE type of plastic it forms like a liquid so tightly to the tool and collects EVERY detail, details that ABS or even HIPS will not pick up, its an interesting plastic.

As to the question about the gouge noticed inthe ESB helmet, no, its not present, maybe tool damage after Simons lid was pulled. 

Rob. 

I believe all the originals have this same pattern on them but as you say, some less bumpy. No doubt that if all the helmets were pulled from the same mould then they must have all the same bumps. This ESB helmet is without a doubt the bumpiest I have seen so far.

I don't think these bumps were anything to do with dirt on the moulds. If AA was pulling fishponds and garden ornaments he would have had is own forming tools made from resin or fibreglass and not used dirty garden pots. Professional vacuum formers use high performance machinery and AA was no different. I believe the bumps are cause by the metal filings or whatever was used in the forming tools to keep them warm. The hotter the tool, the more pronounced the bumps or the more it was used, the more pronounced the bumps - that's my theory.

I personally would not like a replica with bumps or waves or defects.

the main shape but clean?

can I get that?

I'd like to see that...

I guess I'm asking for a gino?

is there any way I could get a RS props with a cleaned up texture?

on some of the photos here it's clear that it's paint bubbling.

it appears that to get the best result from RS props armor is to

paint it.

they cast :

stunt armor hdpe painted.

bumps. age... time

ripples on the inside.

so it is a replication of an industrial process for a background suit.

the construction process results in a wavy or warped cast from the inside of the helmet

because of the material used. it does NOT REPRESENT a true cast from the inside

nor should it be used to cast replicas.

what would happen if we had a hero suit cast?

would it be better since it's abs? let's ask for a hero suit recast?

while we love the hdpe replica can we not have the abs replica for anh armor?

sure... it was hdpe for background... yet was not abs used for the hero suits?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Sorry for going a little bit off-topic here, but Vern, I have to ask, WHY do you write the way you do, with a whole line space between each sentence, and sometimes splitting up the sentences mid-sentence.

I see you have fairly correct grammar elsewhere, so it can't be that you are illiterate.

And you have to have noticed that everyone else writes differently than you.

Which leads me to think you're perpetuating this style of writing just to be unique, well it defeats its purpose.

Would you please consider writing as we all have agreed upon?

You know, correct spelling and grammar goes a long way if you want to be taken seriously.

Consider it kind advice from a fellow trooper.

Paul, You missed my point (I think) I think the issue could have been dirty hdpe and maybe to a lesser extent the moulds. As for the mould construction, we dont know who made the moulds, was it AA or was it the studio? Were they metal filled, epoxy, or just polyester? I agree AA was a vac commercial vac former at that time, with a large machine or machiness, but that in no way sugests he was a pattern/tool maker. Would be good to compare the brush marks inside the helmets, or the ones visible on the outer. I will get some photos of the clearest ones I can find and we can compare to see if they are unique to a helmet or consistant. Its an intersting point you raise on the temperature, it would of course be possible that some kind of reaction could happen, hard to rule it out not knowing what the moulds were made of.

A cleaned up helmet would not really have the same character imho, as we believe that all the stunt helmets had these imperfections then thats the prop, maybe not the intended sculpt, but the finished prop nevertheless.

On a side note, I am pretty sure the bump is present on the set for stun helmet, its on the mini ones that were produced, well its on mine.

Interestingly, the delail on the very bumpy ESB helmet, on the front of the frown, on its left side, is also present on Simons original, but it is much more pronounced on the ESB one, its pretty small on Simons. You could be correct about the tempeature, I can see how that is possible and very likely thinking about it ;)

On a side note, I am pretty sure the bump is present on the set for stun helmet, its on the mini ones that were produced, well its on mine.

It is on mine too. :)

just to be clear I really like the RS props line of work. I just wish there were an idealized lid out there from this line.

and martin... you really need to just keep your opinion about the way I format my posts to yourself, it has nothing

at all to do with this awesome thread. in fact you should have just been a gentleman and taken the time

to PM me about your OCD typesetting compulsions.

back to the awesome RS props thread!

mathias, wasn't the armor painted haircell hdpe? for stunt, and abs for hero?

which is probably why the RS helmet and armor has the feature of being bumpy on the inside? since it was cast

from the bumpy inside of the hdpe?

I look forward to being corrected on this point!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

from what I understand the abs was a haircell type? is that correct?

thanks so much rob for that information!

can you give us more info on the material in your suit?

On 4/27/2012 at 1:19 AM, RS Prop Masters said:

As for the mould construction, we dont know who made the moulds, was it AA or was it the studio? Were they metal filled, epoxy, or just polyester? I agree AA was a vac commercial vac former at that time, with a large machine or machiness, but that in no way sugests he was a pattern/tool maker.

Cause of the fact that they first tried to make those suits on the elstree studios , i would not say that AA has made the moulds himself.Would more say he only made the work ,cause the machines on the elstree studios were damaged or not able to pull them.

As far was we know.

A cleaned up helmet would not really have the same character imho, as we believe that all the stunt helmets had these imperfections then thats the prop, maybe not the intended sculpt, but the finished prop nevertheless.

That i would agree. It's the typical look of the stormtrooper helmets.Otherwise you could buy a MR"EFX AnH Limited , for exampel.

Yes it is and they are also on the Move Along Trooper helmet.

The dent on the chin/mouth is also on the RS original helmet as on the SFS and MAT.So i belive it's on all helmets the same.

MAT

=

-------

=

SFS:

-------

RS orginal:

=

( hope i can use that pic as reference, if not let me know and i remove it)

( But the dent on the Chin /mouth is not on the RS replica helmet,well not on the one that i have, cleanup maybe?)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I think there are very slight bumps on the stop that ship and move along in the same area. Although move along seems quite clean compared to stop that ship.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70029929@N05/

Because of the way the helmets were displayed in the case, I took the photos more from the left, so the detail is hard to see.