Noah's RT-Mod ESB build

NastyNoah

More progress

I have been working away on different parts of my armor today since about 10 am. Decided to take a quick break to update this thread and do some more research before I begin gluing on my snaps.

p1060115.jpg

Trimmed about 1/2 inch off the back of the thighs to get a snugger fit and glued them up. I have now completed all the clam shell type pieces.

p1060116n.jpg

Attaching the sniper plate to the sides was made possible with the use of 6 clamps and some patience.

p1060118o.jpg

p1060119r.jpg

The sniper plate is one piece that really needs to be reworked to fit better.

Snap plates.

I am going with a mix of standard plastic snap plates and the webbing ones. For the webbed plates I used an old guitar strap I had lying around that was 2" wide. I cut it up into about forty strips then seared the ends of the strips with my trusty propane torch.

p1060122i.jpg

I am sure they will not fray at all.

p1060128s.jpg

One I completed the searing I plugged in an old cheap Radio Shack solder iron to use as the punch. The soldering iron worked perfect and was very fast but I don't recommend doing it inside unless your wife is gone and you have the windows open. It does create some smoke and puts off a foul stench similar to Governor Tarkin. But the size hole it creates is perfect and since it is melted it will not fray.

p1060129j.jpg

Now it is time to set some snaps.

p1060132d.jpg

p1060135k.jpg

Only 20 something left to make. I have noticed the snaps don't get a good grip on the webbing like the ones I did using the plastic. I don't think this will cause any problems but if any of you with some experience know other wise please let me know before I get to much further.

Ab buttons.

p1020062c.jpg

I found this bag in the bottom of my brown box and at first was unsure what they are for. I now realize these are the ab buttons. I drilled some holes in a 2X4 simulating the lay out of them on the armor.

p1060136r.jpg

p1060138.jpg

i then used some gray primer to get them ready for the Testors paint and while I was at it I painted my TD at the same time.

p1060140t.jpg

I have now learned that the primer does not stick to these little plastic pieces at all. It wipes right off with a finger. I will have to try another route with these.

Edited by NastyNoah

One week ago today I received the big brown box and in that time I believe I have accomplished quite a bit on this build. I am already starting to wonder what I am going to do once it is complete. I have spent the last three months researching this project in anticipation of starting on it and now I know I will be done here very soon and right now I am too broke to start on another kit.

Any ways I was able to glue the thigh pack on after some trial and error. I had to drill out the RT rivet bumps and into the thigh seam where I put a temporary fastener in to hold everything in place.

p1080155pm.jpg

I then applied the E-6000 to every point that made contact with the thigh, and clamped it down.

p1080156a.jpg

p1080157n.jpg

I started on some strapping tonight and plan on doing quite a bit more tomorrow after another trip to Tandy leather.

p1080159b.jpg

2 things

1- why did you use webbing for snap plates? will they hold as well as plastic? i ask, because i havent seen this before and i am curious.

2- you will want to put a healthy bead of e6000 over the rivets on the back of the belt. they rub your belly armor and scratch it up.

nice work so far!

Edited by darksideemt

2 things

1- why did you use webbing for snap plates? will they hold as well as plastic? i ask, because i havent seen this before and i am curious.

2- you will want to put a healthy bead of e6000 over the rivets on the back of the belt. they rub your belly armor and scratch it up.

nice work so far!

1- I am using the webbing for the snap plates because I can get it affixed to the armor easier than the plastic plates. I am still using plastic snap plates in parts of the armor that are not curved or contoured. I'll post more pics of this as I progress.

2- I had not thought about the belt scratching up my armor. Thanks for the tip, I will take care of that tonight.

Looking good, Noah!

I can't wait for you to replace that crazy screen pic with one of you in your armor. haaaa haaaa!!!!

I cant wait to replace my avatar as well, and add my TK id number to my postings.

Looking good! The sniper plate is a real slave Leia. Please don't rivet it. Use lots and lots of clamps and glue.

Agreed... it's the one thing I can't reverse for Centurion.

My sniper plate didn't fit exactly right either... I felt I had no option as no amount of clamp or tape seemed to keep it where I wanted it, so I riveted in desperation to get it to stay.

2- I had not thought about the belt scratching up my armor.

Yeeaah. I have tape on the back of my holster rivets. Fortuantely the snaps on the ab plate hold it still and it's not moving around a lot.

I have now tried two different kinds of primer and Testors paint and everything seems to rub off of these little plastic pieces very easily. Does anyone know a trick to get the paint to stick to these?

I painted testors onto the plastic directly with no primer, and have had no trouble. Are they ABS?

Great build thread, you are going so fast!!! :) Soon you can get back to those Lego builds.

I painted testors onto the plastic directly with no primer, and have had no trouble. Are they ABS?

Great build thread, you are going so fast!!! :) Soon you can get back to those Lego builds.

The buttons are not ABS they are some kind of oily plastic caps. I am going to rinse them with water and dish soap tonight then slightly scuff with 400 grit paper. If that doesn't work I will just buy some of these off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290656348177?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Tuesday night update !

Took the clamps off of my thigh ammo belt and everything is looking good. Was able to add the split rivets and I am very happy with the way it looks. I would like to think everyone that commented and helped me out with this.

p1090162g.jpg

Made a ton of plastic snap plates tonight. First i drilled a hole all the way through each plate just large enough for a 1/8" rivet to go through. I then used a 1/4" bit to to make a counter sunk recess for the head of the rivet to sit in. I was able to rivet the male fasteners to the snap plate and it went a lot faster using the rivet gun over the snap setter tool. Using this method I can get more of the snap plate connecting with the glue and the armor pieces.

p1090160u.jpg

I should have taken some more pictures of this but I think everyone will understand.

I added the two male snaps to the but plate bu have not permanently fixed them to it yet. Let me know if this is correct before I make anything permanent.

p1090163i.jpg

The rest of my night was spent attaching snap plates to the armor.

p1090164v.jpg

p1090165b.jpg

Maybe I will be able to do a test fit by Friday.

Well Troopers not much progress was made tonight. I rushed on my plastic snap plates and didn't notice that on more than half of them the rivet head did not mushroom out enough. Tonight when I was doing my first test fit the buttons began to pop. I now know I need to put a washer inside of the snap or flatten the rivet head out a bit more with my snap setting tool. You win some you lose some... Oh well at least I learned a valuable lesson that I won't repeat. I have since put some of the webbing snaps in place and I am letting them cure. I think I can still do a test fit this weekend and that will give me a whole week to tweak everything before Easter.

p1100166.jpg

p1100167f.jpg

I did go ahead and add the two male snaps to the crotch of the butt plate.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support !

It's all in the details...

Finally felt confident enough to start adding little details to the suit tonight.

p1110173.jpg

Accurate split rivets on the left side of the ab and kidney

p1110174.jpg

Right side male snap on the upper left corner of the ab plate.

p1110175.jpg

Functional male snap in the crotch.

p1110176r.jpg

And the split rivet in the crotch. How gansta is that ?!?!?!

Tomorrow I am going to install a suspender system and attach the thighs then I am moving up the body to the chest and back.

Oh Snap... I ran out them again.

My build process is slowing to a crawl it seems. Tonight I planned on doing so much while my wife and son are gone but wouldn't you know it I am out of snaps again. I plan on hitting the local Tandy Leather in the morning and hopefully I can keep this build moving.

Things that I know I still need to do.

Put support straps in thighs

Make, or buy some TD clips

Strap chest and back

Install buttons on abdomen

Repaint the split rivets

and do more research.

If any one notices something I left off please point it out.

Now for pictures of tonight's progress

p1120186.jpg

Installing suspenders. I used an old pair we had lying around, cut off the clips and installed female snaps. Cheap, quick, and easy just the way I like most everything.

p1120185z.jpg

Here is a picture of the snap I put in the shoulder bells to prove I still made some progress tonight.

I have updated this post to show more clearly how I am strapping the other pieces.

p1210235.jpg

This is how I did the chest and back connections using EIB approved white 1" elastic

p1210237.jpg

They float in back but I have a bit of velcro to secure them once fitted. Only do this if you are going for ESB or ROTJ

p1210238t.jpg

Glued in the front

p1210239.jpg

Elastic strap that I run across my back to connect the shoulder bells

p1210240.jpg

the strapping of the bells to the biceps

p1210242.jpg

You can see how the strap runs across my back if you look very closely. I should have wore a white shirt to show this a bit better.

Edited by NastyNoah

So I haven't updated this in a few days, but here is a list of things I have finished.

Painted the ab buttons

Added the ab buttons

Glued the ribbed shoulder straps to the chest piece

Drilled out the rivet and installed the 3rd screw in my RT helmet

Put the drop boxes on the belt

Painted the rivets

and now I am making adjustments to the elastic. I should have everything but the TD finished in time for Easter.

p1130196h.jpg

If you don't have to add the third screw I wouldn't. I ended up melting a hole through my helmet and pulling the rivet through. I fixed this by using a slightly larger screw and a washer.

p1150209l.jpg

I went with Testors for the buttons since it is easier to acquire and only $1.50 a bottle.

p1150210.jpg

Detailed pics of the belt and accessories.

p1220243.jpg

I slapped a piece of hook sided Velcro to the front of my ab plate to keep the belt in place.

WARNING !!!!!! If I had this to do over again I would use the loop side of the Velcro because when getting dressed you reach across your armor and it never fails I get my under suit snagged on the Velcro. When I re-do this I will probably go with snaps.

p1220246.jpg

Its a bit hard to see in this picture but I applied the loop side directly to the belt after peeling off the backing and exposing the adhesive. I reinforced this bond with some E-6000.

p1220247.jpg

I looped 1" white elastic over the belt then riveted it to the drop boxes. You can attach them many other ways but I wanted to get some use out of the rivet gun I bought.

p1220248.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality here, just showing how my ESB holster loops over the belt.

Edited by NastyNoah