My tiny TK build starts! =D [*ATA]

Somebody please....

i don't understand one thing and nned help!

can i make the parts tighter on me?? like... ok, i know they are long... and i need to trim that! but how to trim the ATA kit to be a bit tighter??

there are some parts that i can't just put foam. it's gonna be huge and i don't think i'll even be able to walk!

maybe a miss some tutorials where people actually did this... thanks!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you can make them tighter. Just cut some off the sides. I did that to my TM (I'm skinny). You may want to post up images of where you're thinking of cutting first so you make the cuts on the right parts.

Here's the post in my build from when I did it. http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11371&st=60#entry169949

I even had to take them apart again because I had already assembled them.

Thank u so much Mathias!

There a little flap on the ATA parts... Like a little raised area where the lip for the shims start, and I was sooooooo scaredbincouldnt cut that off!!

But I see yours also had something similar and u did cut that! So it's good!

Especially the thighs! If I can't make those narrower hahahah I won't be able to walk with my legs closed!!! Hahahahahha

Seriously! I can almost fit both thighs in one armor piece! Lol

You can always try and keep the minimum amount of raised area on the front and do most of the trimming on the backs (taking as much off as needed) if you want to keep the raised area for the finishing strips.

Oh, and you'll definintely want to get some latex handguards or some smaller ones, at least, in the proper scale for those delicate little mittens of yours. :)

Hahahah that is true Chris! I'll def have to do something about the hand guards as well. They r just way too big!

Someone offered to make me some to my size. I said I'd try to make them a bit smaller. There's a tutorial here somewhere. If it doesn't work I'll get him to help me or get the latex ones. Those are smaller right?!?

Tray I love bobojuice's thread! I want to print all his pics and spread all over my apartment! :P

But most of the pics is just the difference in size and then he tells what he modified and what he left how it was.

When I finally got the pieces on my hand I got nervous about those bumps and couldn't find anything anywhere of people actually. Urging those off to make fit! U know???

Ok now that the freaking out time wore off a bit.... Hhahaha

I g

Hahahah that is true Chris! I'll def have to do something about the hand guards as well. They r just way too big!

Someone offered to make me some to my size. I said I'd try to make them a bit smaller. There's a tutorial here somewhere. If it doesn't work I'll get him to help me or get the latex ones. Those are smaller right?!?

Tray I love bobojuice's thread! I want to print all his pics and spread all over my apartment! :P

But most of the pics is just the difference in size and then he tells what he modified and what he left how it was.

When I finally got the pieces on my hand I got nervous about those bumps and couldn't find anything anywhere of people actually. Urging those off to make fit! U know???

Ok now that the freaking out time wore off a bit.... Hhahaha

I got courage enough to get on with cutting again!

I started with the shoulder bells. Cause talking to Rachel it made sense what she said. I'll have to finish those first so I can figure out where they go so I can find out how much of the biceps I need to trim! And then with that done I can figure out the forearms. Since those 3 are all nice and together!!! Lol

I've seen many girls didn't modify the shoulder bells! But mine were huge on me! Going way past the line they were supposed to on the front! (almost reaching my boobies!!!! Hahahahahha) so I trimmed a bit all around and just took off the return edge on the bottom and added another one!

It's a bit better! And the return edge is smaller than it was, but for a first timer return edge maker I think they look nice!

(I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone but I'll do it when I get home!)

Also finished painting the tube stripes on the helmet and someone already told me they are uneven! :( great!

I don't even know what they mean by that!

I'll get the pic on here later on and will need opinions!!!

:)

If you used the templates, you should be pretty good. They were not perfectly even on the real thing, ya know. People get spoiled with the perfectly symmetrical decals. Post some pics, but I'm sure you're fine. You did use the French Blue, right?? ;)

Also finished painting the tube stripes on the helmet and someone already told me they are uneven! :( great!

I don't even know what they mean by that!

I'll get the pic on here later on and will need opinions!!!

:)

Hi Chris!!!

I can't figure out how to get the link for the pic on photobucket from my phone that's why I haven't been able to put pics here yet. And I haven't turned my computer in 2 days! O.o

But yeah! That's exactly the color I got!!! Painted the tube stripes with French blue and got angel blue. Or blue angel for the ab buttons!

here are pics of the shoulder bells i worked on earlier this week, or last week, i can't even remember!! lol

i'm not sure if you can see the difference, but i actually cut 1/2" around, (but not on the bottom/base... or hatever that is called! lol)

9D26CB01.jpg

these were my very first return edges. EVER! that thing is a pain to do, but i think it looks ok!

what you think

26F70A83.jpg

when i took the pic still needed some more sanding, but i had to get more sanding paper.

then today i decided it was time to stop being silly and cut that thing already! well... cut slowly and little by little. so i started on the right biceps!

there was a lot of cutting. i first cut on that little bump. taped it together, put it on... took it off. reshaped a little with the heat gun, and taped it together again. and decided that 1/4" was probably enough.

so i took the tape off and cut it again. then taped it again!!!!

90AA2BFC.jpg

it looked nice and small!!! =P

Reshaping the thing was a pain. i was so afraid of messing it up, i think i didn't keep the heat gun on it log enough so it took forever. besides... i basically burned all my fingers!!! hahahahah

well... this is what i got after i cut and worked on both halves of the right bicep.

D7621EBC.jpg

i trimmed a little bit more cause that difference was way too big. there is still a little difference but not as much. i didn't want to cut more cause it's the right size now... so i figured the strip of plastic would go over it anyways...

i'll take another pic tomorrow of how it looks now, so you guys can tell me what you think.

it fits nicely... i'mjust hoping i'm not messing it up too much!!!!

6F8C03A2.jpg

Edited by gattirenata

OMG I am so jealous of your return edges. I could never seem to get them to work. Yours are beautiful.

That bicep might be a little long for you - be sure to fit it under your shoulder bell high enough to be able to bend your elbow.

Personally I would do all cutting and fitting first, then go back and do the return edges. That way if you have to trim anything again (esp. if you decide it needs to be even smaller! - I did my thighs 3 times ) you won't be sad about having to cut off your gorgeous return edges.

OMG that is such a good idea!! I didn't think about it!! Thank you so much!

Yeah the return edges are a pain and I was a bit scared cause I tried to follow te tutorials and it just didn't work for me! It's not that they were bad, I just couldn't get them done!

So in the end I came up with my own technique.

I'm glad u think it looks good! I saw nobody answered my post and I was like: oh crap it looks bad and ppl don't have the heart to tell me hahahahah

U think the biceps is long?? I can bend my arm tho!!

And that is without the return edges! I was afraid of cutting too much and then being too short after doing the edges!

I'll put all 3 pieces on together and try to take a pic! (it's hard tho! Cause even being so much smaller they are not super tight tight, so they slide down so it's jar to keep them on place while trying to take pics!!! Hahah will def need foam as well)

Again thank u so much for ur advise!!

there is a possibility that i did not understand the tutorial for the return edges! that happens a lot! hahaha (sometimes i feel i need to learn English all over again! hahaha)

so this is what i understood. to apply some pressure on the little iron thingie while moving it back and forth. Right?

so maybe i wasn't moving it back and forth right, cause it would just not happen.

the plastic did not warm up enough (iron was set on the highest temp)

sooooo.... instead of moving it... i just let it there. SCARY!

hahaha

i used the very tip of the iron, so it would cover just a small portion. it touched the outside but i kept an eye on the inside, cause when the plastic heats up and gets soft you can see it on the inside very well. as soon as it started looking soft i BAM! bent it, moving the iron forward!

not really much different then what the tutorial said, but after getting over the fear of leaving the iron in the plastic for a while, it was much easier for me!

=D

Edited by gattirenata

Ah, I will get braver and try this! Because yeah, I moved back and forth for like 30 minutes and nothing.

And isn't it frustrating??? I was going crazy! I thought the iron didn't work, then I thought maybe he meant side to side hahahah I might have read that tutorial a gazillion times! I was doing it on a test piece and ended up giving up! When I went to try again was on the shoulder bells!

Totally crazy moment I just left the iron there! Hahahha

I was sooooo happy when it worked! Otherwise I'd prob be crying until today ahahahah

• 3 weeks later...

Ok! Really forced myself to work on it this weekend.

After FCBD. Yesterday I basically worked on it from 4pm to 2am. Even had dinner while working!

Salmon tastes do much better with some abs dust on it! Hahahaha

Anyways!!! I did stare on it for 20 minutes tho! Completely lost!

I realized I'm not really sure where exactly I should cut on the shoulder straps (that was easy to find a reference pic, tho do problem solved) or the little box that go on the ab plate! Couldn't find anything with that one so I'm waiting for a friend who's coming tomorrow or the day after to help me out!

I realized also it's not a good idea to start trimming the back parts (back, tooshie, kidney) without being able to really see how they look like!

So that's why I asked for my friend to come and help!

I started gluing the inside strips last night and after I ran out of clamps and had to wait I started working on the legs!

I'm not trimming the front, just the back, as suggested by one of you smart people!

It didn't seem like I need to trim much on the length which is weird since I'm just 5'2".

I put the shoes on to get them in place and stuff. It looked got so I just trimmed the return edge that was there and made another one but smaller!

Don't want that thing too big and diggin in my boots!

(btw those boots will look awesome in the whole assemble but they are mighty ugly when I wear them with regular clothes hahahha)

This morning the back strips were glued so I did some more!! And again while waiting I'm working on the legs!

Now gotta decide how much to take off from the legs and hopefully I won't have to reshape it that much.

The heat gun is def the reason I don't wanna do this anymore.

It's sooo stressful!

Before I figure out it would be easier to sandwich the plastic between the pieces of wood, I used the heat gun on the edges and they got some waves on them.

Nothing too had but not right either. I can't fix it cause... Well I tried and just made it worse!

It will be hidden under the strips of plastic but still!

I'm very pissed!

Thank goodness it was just one!

Here are some pics

post-15828-133632104173.jpg

post-15828-13363210625.jpg

post-15828-133632109424.jpg literally fighting with the magnets! Those damn things! Hahahha

post-15828-133632113123.jpg

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0bm0pe

Renata Gatti

SL 5323

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW, Renata! You are a warrior. That is quite a long day!!

Don't give up!! It seems tough, but just keep plugging away. Take a break and then pick it back up!! You are doing a great job!!