Advice requested on mild weathering a TK

Sparrow

My build is almost done and I am thinking about doing some mild weathering, so as to give it the lived in look. From across the room it still looks like a shiny whitey, but at six feet you can see it has been around for a while.

To accomplish this I was thinking of rubbing it with newsprint. I did a test on a spare thigh and the weathering looked really authentic. My concern is I heard somewhere that newsprint can cause yellowing. Is anyone familiar with that happening? Thanks!

Edited by Sly11
Edit removed dead link Sly11 2020

The way I weathered my TKC was using acrylic paint thinned with water to about a consistency of milk. I used a nice soft cloth or kitchen paper towel make sure it's the softer brand not the cheap shop towel style. Use one towel to rub the watered down paint onto the armor then using another towel to soke up the paint, don't wipe it in one direction, this will leave streaks in one direction and will make it look forced and not natural. After applying the paint I dabbed and gently wiped the paint in swirling pattern making sure to not leave large streak marks. By doing this you can go over areas multiple times to make an area darker to your tastes. Let some of the paint pool in the recesses this will emulaite grime building up in there. I added all the chip marks on the white armor parts by hand painting every chip mark. I started with a dark gray then went up to a lighter shade of gray then a small area of steel. I did this to show that the armor was made out of several layers. I would test this on some scrap plastic so you can get the right consistency of your paint and your wiping technique down. Play around with the paint consistency you may like it a bit thicker or thinner. Hope this helps. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Thalizar

you don't really want to weather a TK. It will over time happen itself and much more naturally because it will weather as you wear it as you rub and bump against things. I still clean mine now and then to get rid of the big heavy marks but the little scratches and nicks that have happened add to the suit. And I know they happened cause I used it. Not becaus ei made it that way. :)

Wear with pride and it will weather on it's own.

I'd go with fullers earth.

check out trooperbay for it.

you can remove and add fullers earth at will.

novus polish most likely will remove fullers earth if you kept it light.

Thanks for your advice guys!

So I have finished weathering the suit, helmet is still pending. It is a mild weathering, just to look like it has seen a few years of use. This was all simply fine sandpaper to remove most of the shine, then mostly newsprint and some shoe polish on the boots. I’m pretty happy with it. From across the room, still a shiny whitey, but up close, you can see the wear.

Edited by Sly11

I'm working on that myself, but unlike the pictures above I don't fancy the "old plastic" look too much... What I was going for with mine was the "brand new trooper after his first battle" type of weathering.

I used Fuller's Earth from TrooperBay, mixed with Novus polish... was kind of a shot in the dark there, but it sticks pretty well. Water and a little scrubbing removes it all if I change my mind.

Edited by Sly11

Looks good! That is one of the things I like about this costume, there can be so many variations, from weathering to the kind of TK, Heavy weapons, Commander, etc.

When I weathered the white areas on my TK Commander, I purchased a graphite pencil from the local arts shop and scraped it into a pot to get a fine dust.

Then I used a blusher brush to brush this dust over the areas I wanted weathered, building up darker areas where needed with my finger and the brush again.

The good thing about it is if you don't like the result, a babies wet wipe takes it off and you can do it again.