TM build questions

So last July/August I made an enquiry about upgrading my TK, and to cut a long story short last week my brown box arrived from TM. Not really started it as I need to complete my Commander Cody (guns are boxed over the pond and ready to ship) as I want to give this my full attention.

So I’m planning the build but have a few questions.....

1. Has anyone split the cod on a TM so it can be flipped up to help with WC visits? I was hoping to but it looks like there is a natural curve on a TM that seperates the ab from the cod which is putting me off

2. Back of the calves: originally I was going to use Velcro but after seeing ‘Joey’s’ pics of the suit TM made for him I’d prefer to have a crack using the bra hook thingies! The issue I have is when trooping, how fiddly are these to get on and off? Is there enough give in the elastic to get your foot through without having to hook & un-hook each time?

3. Return edges – these need to be taken off the wrist part of the forearms but are they kept everywhere else? If so what sort of size(s) - i'm thinking between 5-10mm?

4. Cover strips – are the sizes: 15mm for biceps & forearms; 23mm for the legs? Additionally should these be left square, have rounded corners or have the corners trimmed at 45 degrees?

5. Heat gun work – I hate heat gun work!! So the place I’ll defo need to use this would be on the battery pack...is it best to heat from the inside & concentrate on individual ‘give points’ or go for a nice clean curve (maybe lash it round a tin of paint or something?). Is there any other bit I need the heat gun for?

I thank you genii (I had to look this up as I also thought it was geniuses) in advance :duim:

The way my suit is, it is really easy to take the calves off. Its hard to explain but you just kind of squeeze them and they come off. Its really simple.

Also i wouldnt cut the cod piece. I did that on my first suit and i always worried about how it would be when i was trooping.

1. Has anyone split the cod on a TM so it can be flipped up to help with WC visits? I was hoping to but it looks like there is a natural curve on a TM that seperates the ab from the cod which is putting me off

Please don't do this! You've got a highly accurate replica suit in your hands. In my opinion this kind of thing will ruin the armour.

2. Back of the calves: originally I was going to use Velcro but after seeing ‘Joey’s’ pics of the suit TM made for him I’d prefer to have a crack using the bra hook thingies! The issue I have is when trooping, how fiddly are these to get on and off? Is there enough give in the elastic to get your foot through without having to hook & un-hook each time?

It's the most practical and easy design I have come across to date. Velcro is pants.

3. Return edges – these need to be taken off the wrist part of the forearms but are they kept everywhere else? If so what sort of size(s) - i'm thinking between 5-10mm?

Look at as many reference pictures of original suits as you can and recreate the look. Look for the Lucasfilm archive pictures on this site.

Joey's suit was built by TM and is also a good reference but there's no substitute for the real thing.

4. Cover strips – are the sizes: 15mm for biceps & forearms; 23mm for the legs? Additionally should these be left square, have rounded corners or have the corners trimmed at 45 degrees?

Arms 15mm, legs 20mm - these measurements are a good rough guide. The originals varied and you can vary yours as you see fit.

The strips on original suits often weren't particularly straight and were noticeably wider at one end.

Neatness will not necessarily get you the most authentic look.

.... Additionally should these be left square, have rounded corners or have the corners trimmed at 45 degrees?

Look at as many reference pictures of original suits as you can and recreate the look. Look for the Lucasfilm archive pictures on this site. You will probably find evidence and combinations of all of the above, sometimes within one suit.

5. Heat gun work – I hate heat gun work!! So the place I’ll defo need to use this would be on the battery pack...is it best to heat from the inside & concentrate on individual ‘give points’ or go for a nice clean curve (maybe lash it round a tin of paint or something?). Is there any other bit I need the heat gun for?

In my experience (2 TM builds) no. It is a perfectly engineered scratch-designed suit which has all the curves in the right places and fits together perfectly.

Check out Pandatrooper's howto on bending his belt. The same stick method may be applied for the thigh pack. It worked for me but totally nerve wracking ;)

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8757&view=findpost&p=111201

Aloha,

-Eric

- heat gun work: a bit worried heh heh

On thinner parts I have had good results with a normal hair dryer. Needs a bit of patience but it makes sure that you heat gently and slowly. Better than melting stuff out of all recognition.

I bend all my abs thigh power cell parts over my gas stove and bend by hand. then when applied to the thigh

it's just the rivets and pressure that keeps them looking proper.

go slow, it's not that you need to melt it, just bend it a very small amount.

you won't want it on a curve, more like a series of bends between the boxes.

heat guns are overkill.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So can anyone get me TM info so I my order? I think im sold! Help! Thanks!

Send a PM to troopermaster here on the forum. :)