The Stormtrooper Abdomen button plate - was it vacformed?

Hey guys!

I was going through the BluRay features the other day with my mate Dennis, and while looking at the Luke torso we thought "Hell, this doesn't actually look vac formed at all!"

Why, do you ask?

Look at this screen grab of the Luke suit (which I nicked from another thread, hope that's okay):

web.jpg?ver=13186435680001

See how sharp those ridges are?

Here's another of an archive suit:

6500817287_30ab40ba27_b.jpg

You notice there's a colour difference, not a surprise as they most likely were added on later, but were they vac-formed at all? Or maybe cast? Something completely different maybe? Vac formed into a negative mould to get the sharp detail?

What do you guys think? I'm not convinced they're cast, but I'm not 100% sure they are just another vac formed piece anymore either...

Edited by R2Dan

i think it was vac-formed into a negative vac forming mold. not formed over a positive mold like current armor makers. AA commented on using both negative and positive molds at some point.

"I made no sketches, no models, no engineering drawings… I sculpted the

production moulds directly, using my own blends of resins, fillers and metal dusts…

The production moulds were the sculptures... they were positives, negatives

and reverse engineered."

I would say definitely negatively vac formed. The key would be seeing them in profile. Are the buttons and the ridges the exact same height? If so they would be formed the way half spheres are formed by vac forming - holes and slots in a flat piece.

Good spot sir! I look forward to this debate!

This very point was raised a while back in the thread with Blu-ray screen caps of Luke's armour.

I hope this Christmas TE finally gets those nail clippers he asked Santa for.

I might have to try some negative vac forming. Rivet covers have that same sharp edge around the button shape. But ive been trying to figure this out, now I know! Thanks guys! I was thinking they pressed something into the plastic as they vac formed it... But this makes total sense.

web.jpg?ver=13237024890001

Edited by TK 4702

Look at this screen grab of the Luke suit (which I nicked from another thread, hope that's okay):

web.jpg?ver=13186435680001

That's what they're for! ;) That's in my image gallery. It's from the bonus disk... here's the link.

Jess

Edited by TK 4702

I wonder if they originally just counter sunk holes in a piece of wood? Actually, I bet they drilled through a thin piece of wood... glued it to a sold piece, and then vac formed that... because the buttons are all consistent as far as the height and diameter, etc. But what about the little divots in the center of each button, or are they just flat in the center? I thought there was a little dip in the center of each button?

I guess they could have also made the part with cutout shapes, then casted it... and vac formed the negative (or mold essentially). That would have been easier than building a negative.

Edited by TK 4702

• 1 month later...