Inexpensive TK Gloves for Noobs

i found these at a local Harbor Freight (hardware/tool) store, and thought it would be perfect for anyone still looking for decent gloves for their TK armor...

it was a great deal at only $5! and it looks much better than the typical gloves found elsewhere. it even has rubberized-ish finish on the palm and some on the other side.... at least you won't sweat like you would in full rubber gloves. yeah?!

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

they are not accurate.

they should be rubber gloves for ANH and silk gloves for ESB.

the texture is nice and all, and they are gloves....

you can get the correct chemical gloves with textured fingertips at home depot domestically.

the way to make rubber gloves comfortable is to wear silk gloves inside them.

easy on, easy off, wicks away some moisture.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

i agree they are not fully accurate, but i use a similar style of glove as well. the fabric top allows your hands to breath and the size was better for my small hands. i have relatively small hands and the chemical gloves looked funny (over-sized) on me and i had issues picking things up lol

it looked like i had greedo hands :laugh1:

DP82045.JPG

just an added note: one thing i did to improve the look of this style of glove was airbrush the entire glove with gloss black textile paint so the rubber and fabric colors are the same tone of black ;) the fabric areas appear flat black and stand out too much if you don't do this. alternatively you could use acrylic gloss black craft paint and apply with a brush to the cloth sections

here is a visual example of what i mean

---------

you really just need to coat the top of the glove with a light coat to blend the cloth to the rubber. there's no need to paint the palms. and it works best if you are wearing the glove when painting :) (the fabric expands when you are wearing the gloves and allows the paint to get into the small crevasses) expect your hands to get a little black lol :laugh1:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I don't think anyone is trying to make these into Screen Accurate gloves. For that you can go to your local hardware store and shell out 5-7 bucks for a set of rubber ones.

I think he's using this as an alternative to the widely used Nomex gloves which can range from 20-50 dollars depending on the seller. Have you seen those? They're no where near screen accurate, but they're pretty nice for trooping. If these are as good and only 5 bucks, then it's worth a look.

Remember, not everyone throws their costume on a mannequin and leaves it there. There are those of us that troop on a regular basis (20-30 troopers/year) and screen accurate does not usually mean comfort.

I agree with Luis. As long as they're black and comfy, you should troop with them. Keep your screen-super-accurate gear for the formal events and approval pictures!

Here are my gloves. I ordered them from a German surplus store (www.asmc.de) for 6 euros. They're made of nylon and they're very breathable, also nothing seems to damage them with extensive use (since they are "search gloves")

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

good to know we can use other gloves for trooping. my hands are very very small and i know the rubber gloves will be ridiculously huge on me... =S

For Olga's centurion we took a set of small/medium dish washing gloves and painted them with plastidip. I will say though that the plastidip will come off fairly easily, so those gloves are only for show. She troops with a normal set of nomex gloves.

On 1/18/2012 at 12:53 AM, darksideemt said:

I've seen the plain Isotoners and they look good for the girls to use.

These:------------

In a size small fit Olga very well. I would think Isotoners would be too hot.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 5 weeks later...

I was actually about to begin a new thread about this just now. There simply must be a screen accurate alternative to chemical gloves.

I know everyone uses the flight gloves but they're expensive. Is there no other glove in the world that is fairly accurate, inexpensive, and comfortable at the same time?

Edited by bigtrev503

I was actually about to begin a new thread about this just now. There simply must be a screen accurate alternative to chemical gloves.

There is. Go ESB and you get to wear silk. B)

I know everyone uses the flight gloves but they're expensive. Is there no other glove in the world that is fairly accurate, inexpensive, and comfortable at the same time?
Flight gloves aren't 'fairly' accurate. The best compromise between accuracy and comfort is liners in your rubber gloves (or the Bespin Solution).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2011 at 4:22 AM, daennika said:

I agree with Luis. As long as they're black and comfy, you should troop with them. Keep your screen-super-accurate gear for the formal events and approval pictures!

Here are my gloves. I ordered them from a German surplus store (www.asmc.de) for 6 euros. They're made of nylon and they're very breathable, also nothing seems to damage them with extensive use (since they are "search gloves")

Good find! I'll immediately order me a pair in L. Thanks for posting the adress! (I would not recommend searching anyone in those, since they lack massively in protection against cut and thrust) But really they look very comfy.

Edit: Ordered a pair in L (my regular glove size), but they are so tight, I cant even get my fingers in them! Will return them and try XL... Hopefully they will fit then.

Edit II: Yup! XL was the way to go. Now they fit like a second skin. Can't wait to wear them along my armour, when it is finished that is.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed