Forum Upgrades, etc.

Daetrin

As many of you are aware, there was an inadvertent upgrade of the forum boards yesterday. The choices we had were to try to roll it back and lose a few hundred posts, or else "fail forward".

Given that Invision 3.2 will fully release later this year and break whatever skin we would have settled on, we decided to keep the forum database in tact and move up our plans to create a whole new skin based on 3.2.

While this means that for the next week or so we'll have to rely on the default, boring IPM skin (theme: IPB.Board) the plus is that it works 100% correctly and that future upgrades of IPM won't be as traumatic.

We appreciate everyone's patience & understanding during this process as we get our boards looking more Stormtrooper-ish, and also invite you to test out the new features of IPM3.2.

Lastly, I'd like to extend a warm welcome to ZeroRoom (Lucas) for stepping up to the plate and filling in as Detachment Webmaster. He was the artist who created the sensational FISD July Newsletter banner sig, and I am confident that he'll do an equally amazing job with the FISD forum.

-- end transmission

Daetrin TK-8020

thanks for the post. I was confused when I got here today. I also agree with ^^Ryan...I like the way the board looks through my iPhone Safari browser better than the old. Can we keep the mobile the way it is?

Edited by JohnBlackk

Sorry for that but it is really hard for me tho read the forum with the new skin.

In fact, putting the avatars at the size it is for now make it difficult to understand.

Their size on the IP skin are better, so I switched to this skin for the moment.

I hope this will not affect other visitors ;)

FYI that our Reception Center (HOME) is driving CPU up quite a bit on our shared hosting site. As a result not only does the host keep shutting it down, but they also sporadically take down our forum. In an effort to keep our forum stable I've shut down the Reception Center for now and we'll see what that does to CPU over the next 24 hours. Stormtrooperguy has also been working to install MediaWiki on the server that we can use to transition the Joomla site too, which should also help reduce our usage.

One way or another we'll work to get the Reception Center back online, but wanted to give everyone a heads up on why it's down and what we're doing to move forward.

Bienvenido Lucas!!!!

Really like the gray with touchs of blue and white!! LuV the new pic the TK´s in the reflection of the TK lens!!!! very cool!!!

I miss the way it used to take you to the last place you were on a thread the last time you were there .Now clicking on a thread takes you to the beginning of the thread. Also when you back out of a thread it takes you to the top of the page again and then you have to scroll all the way back down...Or is it just me?

Who would have thought that Joomla was such a masssssssssssive resource hog eh?

248px-Resource_hog.jpg

We've digitized ZeroRoom into the server to to derezz these insipid programs. ;)

Bienvenido Lucas!!!!

Really like the gray with touchs of blue and white!! LuV the new pic the TK´s in the reflection of the TK lens!!!! very cool!!!

Thanks Joey! Glad you like it :D

I miss the way it used to take you to the last place you were on a thread the last time you were there .Now clicking on a thread takes you to the beginning of the thread. Also when you back out of a thread it takes you to the top of the page again and then you have to scroll all the way back down...Or is it just me?

What browser are you using Darrel? I'm still scoping any browser specific issues. In Safari and Chrome, using the back button I'm landing back where I left off rather than the top of the page... As for the issue of sending you to the top of the thread it's either in the core code for the 2.3 version of the boards, or it's a browser specific setting. If it can be fixed, I will fix it, if it's one of the two above issues you may have to stick to hitting the time and date link on new posts to go straight to the most recent post :)

We've digitized ZeroRoom into the server to to derezz these insipid programs. ;)

I'm like the TK PacMan... It's a weird world in here...

Futurama-24-OK.jpg

Still not quite diggin the new look and feel to the forum. Guess I'll have to get used to it. LOL. Oh well. Change is imminent I suppose. I'm sure there are some good things I'm not picking up on yet.

At the bottom of the screen in the left corner there is a "Change Theme" button. This will give you the option of the FISD.2011 skin, the IPBoard default skin or IP.Board Mobile. Choose IP.Board Mobile and your interface will change. If you access the boards from your iphone it will usually default to this skin anyway but if not, do this manual select process. Same way you should make sure when you log on from your PC you should have FISD.2011 chosen to get rid of the ugly IPBoard default :)

There's always the IPB iPhone app that provides a spiffy interface to the improved mobile theme:

http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/iphone/index.php

Aloha,

-Eric

How do you get the iPhone version?

Yup, I needed to do that so I can get a request out to Site5 to see what the CPU usage is with it off. I'll turn it back on once I get a reply from them, e.g. I'm trying to get a baseline. I also want to run a traffic report. I'm hoping later today I'll turn it back on.