Armor History Discussion

Before we got the molds, Matt was making armor out of normal plain white .125 thick styrene.

Between that and his crappy homemade vac form set up, it is ridiculous to say that his pulls were crisp.

I know GF has pics of what those parts looked like back in the day. I think it would be an eye opener.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we got the molds, Matt was making armor out of normal plain white .125 thick styrene.

Between that and his crappy homemade vac form set up, it is ridiculous to say that his pulls were crisp.

I know GF has pics of what those parts looked like back in the day. I think it would be an eye opener.

He was using .090, he never had .125

Ā 

By all means, open our eyes Gino.

Ā 

Then get GF to show the pics. I really dont care about the debate.... just wanna see pics

Ā 

PICS!

I don't want to take the thread off-topic everyone, but I have to respond to this.

Ā 

I'm speechless... I have never spoken to you on the phone Matt - either *your* memory is shot, or you are deliberately lying. I've exchanged emails with hundreds of people in the 'replica prop world' over the years but only ever spoken to about 10 or 12 in person or on the phone... so I think I would've remembered. And I'm a bit young for senile dementia at 31 years old! :P

Ā 

Sorry everyone for the derailment... this thread has the potential for some interesting facts behind the whole movie-cast Stormtrooper armour biz... so long as the info provided is objective and factual.

Ā 

Cheers,

John

Uh, no we did. We spoke and maybe you will remember these parts: The marking son the inside of the lower leg parts I asked you if the suit you own has and there were none... You said the helmet ha the 'tells' in them and I said yes, if they were off of the master molds that they would have the same marks and should! When I made my cash offer and the trade you said, thanks but I have another offer and you at that time wanted to keep the suit for a bit and test the waters.

Ā 

If you dont remember thats fine, but we did speak. It was a nice conversation and I told you it was great to speak to you.

Ā 

But hey, dementia can set in early! So dont fret! ( Just kidding! No ill will meant my man). Again the suit you have is great.

Ā 

T*E

He was using .090, he never had .125

Ā 

By all means, open our eyes Gino.

Ā 

This shows how well informed you are gino. Making stupid statements like this without a shred of proof. I see you backed down AGAIN from my pic challenge.

Ā 

Let it be said that you cannot stand to be shown that you are wrong. EVER. For some strange as hell reason you NEED to be right... I wont even venture a guess as to why. But again, you wont rise to any challenge as you KNOW I smack you own repeatedly when you try.

Ā 

The challenge is still there. Show me a pic of your new ANH cod and I will show you WHY it isnt even close.

Ā 

Waiting...

Ā 

T*E

I think ego is the issue here. Two people fighting over the right to call themselves 'experts'.

While i dont deny that both you (Matt) and Gino are owed a debt of thanks for BOTH your work on accurate armour and to increase our awareness and keep us informed it seems that actually we arent getting any more aware of anything except that Gino hates you with a passion (probably due to living in your shadow as Trooper know-it-all) and you hate Gino because he's questioning your abilities/right to be T.E. and questioning your honesty (which you have reciprocated)

To be honest you two can fight it over till the cows come home, i have far better things to do with my time but alas curiosity gets the better of me every time.

What i cant stomach is Gino's inability stand the fact that there are as talented if not more talented people out there*cough*TM*cough*. Yes the little nuances may be overlooked, little bumps here, little measurements there but it cant be denied that someone has been able to capture the overall essence of a ANH suit.

It's clear to me that whenever his crown is threatened he resorts to belittling comments and childish snipes. You Matt, come across as a volatile but passionate individual which is okay but must you bite every time you're goaded?

We, the ignorant many here just seem to be caught up in a battle of ego, at the moment it's a "picture duel" but we're not getting any further (or pictures for that matter)

Alas the truth may never surface but Neither of you come across as very honest, with us or yourselves, frankly i dont think i'd trust either of you but then, i dont need to as i'll never buy anything from either of you.

I've had to mediate many arguments in my time to reach a satisfactory conclusion to an issue and almost everytime it's down to simple self centred stubborn ego and tempers normally flare when someone is caught in lie, it's a guilt reaction . so just consider the real reason why you should answer any more posts from Gino ( and vice versa Mr G) that simply perpetuates the cyclical nature of this thread.

lets have some information only without ego.

If you know your right, you have nothing to worry about and no need to defend yourself by replying.

Lets consider also the crazy notion that there can be more than one "trooper expert" at any one time.

C'mon guys, give it a try.

lets get them pictures posted.

I think ego is the issue here. Two people fighting over the right to call themselves 'experts'.

While i dont deny that both you (Matt) and Gino are owed a debt of thanks for BOTH your work on accurate armour and to increase our awareness and keep us informed it seems that actually we arent getting any more aware of anything except that Gino hates you with a passion (probably due to living in your shadow as Trooper know-it-all) and you hate Gino because he's questioning your abilities/right to be T.E. and questioning your honesty (which you have reciprocated)

To be honest you two can fight it over till the cows come home, i have far better things to do with my time but alas curiosity gets the better of me every time.

What i cant stomach is Gino's inability stand the fact that there are as talented if not more talented people out there*cough*TM*cough*. Yes the little nuances may be overlooked, little bumps here, little measurements there but it cant be denied that someone has been able to capture the overall essence of a ANH suit.

It's clear to me that whenever his crown is threatened he resorts to belittling comments and childish snipes. You Matt, come across as a volatile but passionate individual which is okay but must you bite every time you're goaded?

We, the ignorant many here just seem to be caught up in a battle of ego, at the moment it's a "picture duel" but we're not getting any further (or pictures for that matter)

Alas the truth may never surface but Neither of you come across as very honest, with us or yourselves, frankly i dont think i'd trust either of you but then, i dont need to as i'll never buy anything from either of you.

I've had to mediate many arguments in my time to reach a satisfactory conclusion to an issue and almost everytime it's down to simple self centred stubborn ego and tempers normally flare when someone is caught in lie, it's a guilt reaction . so just consider the real reason why you should answer any more posts from Gino ( and vice versa Mr G) that simply perpetuates the cyclical nature of this thread.

lets have some information only without ego.

If you know your right, you have nothing to worry about and no need to defend yourself by replying.

Lets consider also the crazy notion that there can be more than one "trooper expert" at any one time.

C'mon guys, give it a try.

lets get them pictures posted.

Ā 

Personally Simon, I don't think either one of them wants to post any pic's :unsure: they would loose their edge over eachother B):pint1: which is their prerogative I guess...I guess we will just stay that much more ignorant about authentic ANH armor :(

They dont have any pics. They probably dont even know how to vac form. They are just hood mantles for someone else. Thats why they never cough up any proof of ever having worked on anything. I think we are talking to the wrong guys. I bet Dave and Mike have all the proof and pics to show, but Gino and Matt musta had em killed off :blink:

They dont have any pics. They probably dont even know how to vac form. They are just hood mantles for someone else. Thats why they never cough up any proof of ever having worked on anything. I think we are talking to the wrong guys. I bet Dave and Mike have all the proof and pics to show, but Gino and Matt musta had em killed off :blink:

Ā 

:o That may be a possability <_< ...Hmmmm it kinda makes you wonder :unsure:

Ā 

:D *columbo style* "theres just one thing that bothers me"

Maybe they're both running Stormtrooper sweat shops, only allowing Dave and Mike one small bag of potato chips a week and not allowing them out to dispell all myths.

The future is uncertain, we shalll discover the truth.

Ā 

This is who we are! ;)

Uh, no we did. We spoke and maybe you will remember these parts: The marking son the inside of the lower leg parts

Ā 

Matt, it must have been someone else you spoke to and thought it was me, or you dreamt it or something..

I'm being totally serious.

Ā 

But anyway, you mentioned this feature on the lower legs on previous forum posts that you made, and said 'all would be revealed after I get back from L.A.' but you never did reveal what you were referring to...

Ā 

So, I'm listening - what is this feature that all ROTJ Stormtroper legs have, that my costume seemingly doesn't have?

Ā 

John

Ā 

PS - I've started a new thread with pics over at the ROTJ Stormtrooper section, for everyone that wanted to see pics. :)

Here's a couple of pics that some folks might find interesting:

Ā 

------------

Ā 

This is the partial ROTJ Stormtrooper costume that once belonged to Matt, and was used to create moulds from.

Ā 

-------------

Ā 

Here's a pic of the moulds which he had made of the original ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet that passed through a number of private hands, and is now in a private collection in New York state.

Ā 

These pics are both on the 'Net and therefore public domain, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting 'em :)

Ā 

Cheers,

John

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

PS - I've started a new thread with pics over at the ROTJ Stormtrooper section, for everyone that wanted to see pics. :)

Thanks John, the pics are sweet! :duim:

Stormtrooper said:

Here's a couple of pics that some folks might find interesting:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is the partial ROTJ Stormtrooper costume that once belonged to Matt, and was used to create moulds from.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Here's a pic of the moulds which he had made of the original ROTJ Stormtrooper helmet that passed through a number of private hands, and is now in a private collection in New York state.

Ā 

These pics are both on the 'Net and therefore public domain, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting 'em :)

Ā 

Cheers,

John

Ā 

WOW!

Ā 

Those arent my molds. Those molds are jason odonnells from australia. He and CO made those forming molds back in 01-02... Sorry, again no one can seem to get the info right... :huh:

Ā 

T*E

Sorry, again no one can seem to get the info right... :huh:

Ā 

T*E

Ā 

Ā 

Dude, there's a reason no one is (apparently) getting it right, you've banded about claims of this and that so much that it's all just a massive sh*tstorm but you can stop this flailing around in the dark in a matter of minutes, by showing evidence to the contrary (i do believe however that you want to keep people in the dark)

Every post is dismissed out of hand yet you show nothing to back up your claims.

It really is simple. Show what you've got or forever be painted as a flake and for crying out loud, how can you get all worked up about it if you have sincerely done nothing wrong or have nothing to hide? you're perpetuating the situation.

The more you insist on poo pooing everyone without counter evidence the more you're making an a$$ of yourself. This isn't an attack mate just some advice.

let the naysayers continue to bash you or silence them with real "cant argue with that" proof.

i really do hope you see the light and show a glimpse if not to silence the critics to excite the fans.

Dude, there's a reason no one is (apparently) getting it right, you've banded about claims of this and that so much that it's all just a massive sh*tstorm but you can stop this flailing around in the dark in a matter of minutes, by showing evidence to the contrary (i do believe however that you want to keep people in the dark)

Every post is dismissed out of hand yet you show nothing to back up your claims.

It really is simple. Show what you've got or forever be painted as a flake and for crying out loud, how can you get all worked up about it if you have sincerely done nothing wrong or have nothing to hide? you're perpetuating the situation.

The more you insist on poo pooing everyone without counter evidence the more you're making an a$$ of yourself. This isn't an attack mate just some advice.

let the naysayers continue to bash you or silence them with real "cant argue with that" proof.

i really do hope you see the light and show a glimpse if not to silence the critics to excite the fans.

Ā 

:lol:

Ā 

Whatever....

Ā 

T*E

He's right, those aren't Matt's molds and what do you mean by "Mike's" molds?

Simply that,..... Matt must be a fake! He doesnt have anything and is nothing more than a front counter man selling someone elses stuff. I am thinking that this whole TE thing is a big lie. Heck maybe even Gino has nothing more than a mold and a thin GF suit to show off. Hmmm???

This thread is turning into a joke.

What's the point of spending valuable time and effort writing this crap out if no one is going to read and absorb it?

Gino, for the most part, I think that folks are reading it. However, it is tough to "absorb" it since some parts read like a "he said / she said" diatribe that is extremely circular. So there is a certain amount of frustration from some that reflects perhaps a weariness with it all...

Gino,

Ā 

As we discussed, putting it all together is important and necessary. Its even better that we are gathering all parties related to the history to speak as well on the board real time.

Ā 

You should feel good in that we are reaching an entire new generation of people.

But anyway, you mentioned this feature on the lower legs on previous forum posts that you made, and said 'all would be revealed after I get back from L.A.' but you never did reveal what you were referring to...

Ā 

So, I'm listening - what is this feature that all ROTJ Stormtroper legs have, that my costume seemingly doesn't have?

Ā 

Matt, can you tell me what you're referring to with this feature on the lower legs? I realise it's not relevant to this topic, so if you would rather PM the info to me....

Ā 

John