Podcasts... Do you listen to any?

Runnriottt

Before I go forward with my own podcast... How many of you all listen to them?

If you do, what do you listen to?

If you don't... what would you listen to? What would you like to see?

Currently I subscribe to... In the order I like them most...

1. The Forcecast

2. Stuff you should know

3. Stuff they don't want you to know

4. 501st Cast

To be honest, I don't listen to the 501st cast all that often.

The RPF just started a vlog, (Video blog) with Lammberry, a member of the RPF. She is on youtube. Is something like that format better?

I love the idea of a podcast/webcast. First off, its free. Free to do, free to subscribe to. Second, its easy to use. I listen while I am at work. Its talk radio, but with out the restrictions. Down side its time consuming to do. I am looking at bi-weekly at the most for now. Oh, and this will be a download only.. no streaming...

Fire away. What opinion do you have?

Although I'm not into talk radio, I subscribe to a few podcasts. Most notably the 501st Cast, althought admittedly I haven't listened to any of them in some time. Great for killing time on long drives, flights, etc.

My podcast subscriptions typically align with any hobbies and other interests. Star Wars, bodybuilding, parkour, space exploration, etc.

i rarely listen to any, but when i do, i prefer Dan Carlin's Hardcore History :D yupp. i'm a lil nerdy. but really though. it makes history learning exciting... kinda. lol

but Deff i will never miss an episode of the SXE Phil. his shows come on podcasts too...

Edited by Eric

I just recently got into listening to different podcasts. I was very resistant for a long time, because I thought it would only be possible to listen or download them via I-tunes as I am fiercely anti-apple.... Once I found out that I didn't need I-tunes I was all over them.

As far as what I listen too, here ya go.

http://smodcast.com/ - Run by Writer/director Kevin Smith

The shows I follow there are "Hollywood Babble-on" Smith & local radio personality/actor Ralph Garmin. Follow current Entertainment news, films, comics & all things your would consider geeky and or crude. Fair Warning, if you have "VIRGIN EARS" stay far, far away. However, If you are an adult & not only can handle adult situations, but can find humor in them click away... ;)

"Jay & Silent Bob get old" Its basically the continuing story of the recovery of former addict actor Jason Mehews or "Jay" from all of Smith films & many many other projects. Very open, very real & very funny but most of all very inspirational. Ive never been down that road myself, but I have recovering people in my life that I love very much & on some levels can relate.

"Plus One" The on going story of Kevin Smith & his marriage to his wife Jennifer. I grew up watch Smiths films & I would be lying if I said I didn't look up to him. On may levels the dudes living many of my dreams... But its cool to hear how down earth, open & connected to his fans he is. To open his wife might say, but the same can not be said about all writers/directors.

I have had the chance to go see Hollywood babble on, recorded live out @ the Smod Castle here in LA before it moved to its bigger location, & I had a freaking blast! I still plan on going back so I can play the "drinking game" in person. :lol:

This week with Larry Miller Long time Actor/Stand up comedian.

I have always loved Larry's stand up material, "The 5 levels of drinking" is his bit, but I found that I really enjoyed listening to his stories. You don't normally think a "performer" who has been working so long would be down to earth & genuine as he sounds to be.

Finally, http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/ "The Adam Carolla Show" Growing up here just south of Los Angels, I have been listening to Adam Carolla on the radio for many, many years now. Anyone remember "Mr Burtchum'? So getting to listen to him without the restrictions of the FCC, is freaking dream come true, for me at least. :D

I have tried to listen to the 501st podcast a few times. But my lord, how freaking dry & boring.... :mellow: I love geeky & nerdy topics very much & maybe its my ADD but it just doesn't do it for me.

I listen to many and it drives my wife crazy...

Daily:

Tony Kornheiser

ESPN PTI

ESPN Around the Horn

Weeklies:

ForceCast

Comedy and Everything Else

Nerdist

Smodcast

Hollywood Babble On

Jay and Silent Boob Get old

Slice of Sci-fi

Pseudopod

Escapepod

Whily Writers Write

and I like to try and find others when these run out....

Edited by Wildabeast

Star Wars related, 501st cast. Like it alright, only wish is they could get the sound levels evened out better. It drives me crazy when listening at work and I keep having to raise and lower the volume to keep it reasonable and not bugging my coworkers. I need to start downloading to my ipod and using headphones again.

So what makes a good podcast?

I agree the 501st cast is a tad dry... That is why I like the Forcecast better. They mix it up. How does a costume based podcast sound? What ideas and topics would be cool?

So what makes a good podcast?

I agree the 501st cast is a tad dry... That is why I like the Forcecast better. They mix it up. How does a costume based podcast sound? What ideas and topics would be cool?

I've done radio for years. From rock format to Hot AC (top 40) and of course the tried and true morning "zoo" style show and one thing I can tell you is getting your format just right is the hardest thing to do. Especially if you need fresh prep on a daily basis. Weekly shows are easier to put together of course because you've got more time to prep. But those daily morning shows can be a killer.

To me a great podcast sounds like you're listening to the radio. You've got engaging content and a bit of imaging and/or music to break up the talk. Unless you've got a really strong topic, trying to do 30+ minutes of nonstop talk is going to kill the listener.

But you're right...how do you spice up a podcast about costuming? Obviously what we do is more visual and thus a vlog would probably be more ideal for the 501st. But I think you can have a fun, engaging, and informative podcast as well. One thing that will help immediately would be to ditch the script. Have a breakdown or an outline of your show of course but the quickest way to put your listeners to sleep is to read your items word for word off the page. This works for news bits of course but not for an entire show. yikes! Have you ever heard Ryan Seacrest doing the Radio Shack commercials on AT40? You know he's reading a script but he makes it sound like he's just off the top of his head with it. I hate him and I want his job but the guy is good at what he does.

Sketches, spoof commercials, and other "bits" wouldn't hurt either. There are a lot of talented people in the 501st and I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who would be more than happy to make some funny bits and submit them to a costuming podcast. Whacky, zany, and a little controversy can do wonders for any radio show or podcast. No need for Shock Jock tactics but reaching for a few topics that are outside the norm wouldn't hurt.

Personally I always felt our best shows at my station were the ones where we started at 6am with a clear plan of what we wanted to do and by 8am that plan was out the window and we had turned into a madhouse with breaks for music, news, weather, and traffic. It was professional unprofessionalism at it's best and I think there are more than a few podcasts out there that could do with a little of that.

YES! Thank you for that insight! I am also thinking that a Vlog may be the way to go. Thank you! :D

Oh I have ideas spinning in my head now...

YES! Thank you for that insight! I am also thinking that a Vlog may be the way to go. Thank you! :D

Oh I have ideas spinning in my head now...

Glad I could be of service Nathan!

Here's a little something from Nicky Blum (DZ-8397), producer of the 501stCast

"Greetings FISD members,

We would love to have more costume content on the 501stCast.

It's been a long time since we did the Detachment Briefing on FISD.

If you have any suggestions or would like to contribute content to help us be a little less dry - we would love to hear it!"

/salute