ATA Biceps -

Ripcode

Okay, most of the stuff in the ATA ABS kit fits pretty good.

The biceps are going to be an issue. I don't have giant guns or anything, but there is no way the biceps are going to work if I use accurate sized cover strips.

If I go accurate sized cover strip on the front, I will probably have to go with a 1.5" strip on the back! :blink:

What have other ATA owners done?

Suggestions?

ETA: This pic is borrowed from another build thread. If it is not okay to use, let me know and I will remove it.

4700035679_ca8c5e0b29_z.jpg

Edited by Ripcode

I would suggest what Terry said...or...you can assemble the front as normal/screen accurate and cut the molded in strips off the back side completely, and add a seamless shim, and then add the correct size strip. Alot more work, but i feel it gives a better overall look. this is assuming its HIPS and you'll be painting the armor. I will be doing this with the ATA thighs most likely.

I would split the difference. Use say a a wider than screen accurate 3/4" strip on the front, and see how big the back needs to be (another 3/4")?

The thing is, I think I can go accurate sized strips on the right bicep.

ETA. Okay, maybe not on the right either. However, not as small as the left.

Hmmm.. need to sleep on it. :mellow:

Edited by Ripcode

Ignore my advice below. Wrong problem......

Is ATA sealing strip closed (TE based) or butt strip closed?

I don't have huge guns either but I just cut my sealing strip bed off.

Made my own just by using the natural contour of the biceps :)

Just like ANH anyway, they didn't have a bed for the sealing strip only ROTJ did

And if it butt closed, cut that away too and use your own strip to make the diameter smaller

Edited by john danter

dont trim anything off of them, match em up, and put an inside shim and use filler to make them larger.

then you can use a sa cover trim.

You can do it this way yes, but then you will have an extra wide strip on the back due to the molded in "center strip". Personally i think that looks horrible. Just my .2 cents

I think myself and john are basically saying the same thing. Your still shimming it, just doing it in a way that you wont have a super wide finishing strip area due to the one cast into the piece, the "sealing strip bed" as John put it.

We are talking about the final finished look looking correct. Ive done this before on thigh pieces and it works out great. Sometimes you need to cut away that "sealing strip bed" and then add the shim. Its very simple really, and the finished look is 100 times better.

Edited by Darth Voorhees

err, John... he's having issues getting them to close! Cutting away even more won't help much

Yes quite right Dan :)

I'm sure I read that someone said their guns aren't that big....?

May have been a diffferent thread.

Please ignore me, I'll go edit my posts now :)

Called ATA last night.

I have a right bicep on the way.

I have also requested another left bicep inside part. I am going to cut and stretch that section. I'll glue in the shim and use ABS paste to hide that section. Then, sand, sand, sand, sand, buff, buff, polish, polish.

I'm helping a new member with an ATA build and he's had the same problem. He fixed it by using heat gun to round it out the two pieces a little more, which makes it bigger and more similar to the left. Now it fits no problem.

Edited by Shooter

Ok I want to chime in and ask how big are your arms? I want to get an ATA kit myself so I would like to know. My biceps are 15" am I going to have this same trouble? Thanks alot.

My biceps are only a measly 14". <_<

If you get the HIPS kit, shimming will be a lot easier.

If you get an ABS kit, ask for a spare right bicep right from the get go.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember back in the day when i built my TE2 armour i used much bigger strips than what i needed on my last 3 TM's simply because the armour is so different in size. Its a common question and 1 i always answer with; use whatever size strips are needed to make the armour build look right - not what they were percieved to be.

I think i used bigger strips everywhere...

I remember back in the day when i built my TE2 armour i used much bigger strips than what i needed on my last 3 TM's simply because the armour is so different in size. Its a common question and 1 i always answer with; use whatever size strips are needed to make the armour build look right - not what they were percieved to be.

I think i used bigger strips everywhere...

Sounds easy, but the thought of using larger strips is stressing me out! :blink:

I think I will go and work on the other parts for now! :lol: