Can we have-brief-tk lid 4-5-6 TK history? please

tk7713gra30

Hi

I have been collecting now for a good 11 yeras, sold some, bought some.

I am not asking for a replica thread, can I please ask-minus the obvious-transitions from ANH- ESB-ROTJ

I mean how moulds were used, changed, casting gave diferent appearance etc.

I find this really interesting, like evolution.

There are still traits in al the helmets and I know bits but, but and why did things change

ie ANH vader, didn't know would continue, ESB made from previous knowledge ( LFL)

TM, Paul, I bet you get this in one :-)

I am really interested as now I have ROTJ, ESB, ANH and it is the transition from ANH to ROTJ that as I have learnt more wants me to ask more ?s

Best wishes

gra

You've seen starwarshelmets.com .... right?

Read it page to page, but I meant in normal speak :-) no offence jez

just thought a real brief would be really interesting

Of course we can go to star wars . com for bigger details but my main interest is the casts

ANH-changed-reused ESB-tweaked ROTJ and the little interesting bits, like Joe mentioned ESB as background ROTJ

Best wishes

Gra

In short:

ANH background/stunt helmet is the first model, the mould changed/deteriorated after 50 lids were pulled and gave birth to a tweaked hero helmet for 5-6 pulls with slight cosmetic changes (new ears etc.).

The ANH stunts and some heroes were re-used/redetailed for ESB, and allegedly new helmets and suits were produced (the so called ESB MK2 stormtroopers) which had quite a similar look like the ROTJ TKs. Seems they didn't have enough stormtrooper suits for the Carbon freeze scene and the chase through cloud city afterwards...

Then, obviously modeled after the ESB MK2, the ROTJ helmets were pulled - by that time, the original moulds from ANH were either deteriorated or resculpted enough to explain all the proportional differences between ANH and ROTJ.

That' how I always thought the "evolution" went. Please correct me on any wrong assumptions or missing links.

I think you're right there Dennis :)

Sure others will chip in, if not

(Hero lids teeth are different is the only thing missing from your post - not sure if that's due to the ABS in the heros or the actual mould? ABS behaves differently to HDPE (stunt lids) when forming)

Edited by john danter

Thanks guys, that is just what I meant, the info that can is to the point and can be kept but is easy to understand.

So the ESB lids became backround ROTJ lids, am I right there

Or can a ROTJ lid become a ESB background

It seems the fudge factor came around this time-ESB-ROTJ

Best wishes

Edited by tk7713gra30

ROTJ sure is different in many ways to the ESB lid, in my opinion.

each has it's own special differences... evolution is a great way to think about the passage of time expressed in the films.

No, AFAIK the ESB MK2 did not get re-used directly as ROTJ lids, but were the base for the squished puppy dog look. But I might be misinformed since the whole "new helmets/suits for ESB" thing seems to be mostly theory. There's one pic of a trooper in the Carbon freeze chamber that looks suspicously like a ROTJ trooper - that's where that theory came from, plus some handwritten notes from John Mollo to produce the so-called MK2 suits as additional, new costumes next to the re-used ANH troopers, complete with drawings of an improved internal strapping system. Those repainted ANH helmets are the ones most often seen on screen (like 99%) and are the iconic ESB stormies.

On starwarshelmets.com there is a page discussing these MK2 troopers, and the pics in question. Always a good read!

Here is my opinion on the original helmets:

1. ANH HDPE stunt and ABS hero (two differnt moulds)

2. ESB reused ANH helmets for the majority of troopers but new MKII suits and helmets were made (square frown) and seen in Crabon Chamber scene.

3. ROTJ helmet and armour made from casting an ESB MKII suit

Essentially there are three sets of moulds - one for each film. But, the ESB MKII which was designed for the production never got much screen time for whatever reason. I believe these were supposed to be on screen but they didn't get enough time to make them and was forced to reuse ANH suits and helmets.

The ROTJ helmet and armour is slightly different to the ESB MKII so it's my belief that they cast new moulds from one of these to make the ROTJ. There are no back ground ROTJ helmets. Only one helmet for the whole production, the one with the hard hat liner. There is no evidence (to my knowledge) to support any difference.

Again, these are just my opinions from what I have gathered over the years.

Here is my opinion on the original helmets:

1. ANH HDPE stunt and ABS hero (two differnt moulds)

2. ESB reused ANH helmets for the majority of troopers but new MKII suits and helmets were made (square frown) and seen in Crabon Chamber scene.

3. ROTJ helmet and armour made from casting an ESB MKII suit

Essentially there are three sets of moulds - one for each film. But, the ESB MKII which was designed for the production never got much screen time for whatever reason. I believe these were supposed to be on screen but they didn't get enough time to make them and was forced to reuse ANH suits and helmets.

The ROTJ helmet and armour is slightly different to the ESB MKII so it's my belief that they cast new moulds from one of these to make the ROTJ. There are no back ground ROTJ helmets. Only one helmet for the whole production, the one with the hard hat liner. There is no evidence (to my knowledge) to support any difference.

Again, these are just my opinions from what I have gathered over the years.

Just to go a little OT.

Whom pulled the ROTJ suits/lids?

And if the ANH molds had deteriorated so badly, how could it be remotely possible that AA could be using them 30+ years later for the lids he is producing? ;)