New U.s postal law

Sonnenschein

Apparently there is a new postal law, which prohibts packages over 500 grams (1 lb) to be sent TO the US.

Unless you use a special carrier with ridicoulous high charges.

I just got an order sent BACK to me because it was a little over that. 

No I have to repack it into 2 packages and have to pay shipping again....

So, if you are from any other part of the world and need to send something to the US, check all available option BEFORE.

I guess you US guys won't see European made armor again.

Okay, rant over.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Everything over 500g.

You can use Fedex or UPS, but you have to include a detailed list and bill of every item included.

For example: a regular box with Austrian Postal service would have cost €13, but now (with EMS or UPS) about €47.

Imagine that, €47 shipping for 2 sets of handgaurds.

Must me a miscommunication, I just checked with the USPS and this 500g restriction doesn't exist.

There is a restriction that everything over 4lbs (1.8Kg) and/or one cubic foot has to go international priority which would be about $41 thanks to rate increases, it was $33 before Jan 1st.

In contrast, hurray for the Mexican postal system which got a coin to Legenddan 6.5 weeks after being shipped. Apparently I left off the city when I filled out the form. 6.5 weeks, but they got it to him. Now *that* is service, and I also praise Dan for keeping the faith.

Must me a miscommunication, I just checked with the USPS and this 500g restriction doesn't exist.

There is a restriction that everything over 4lbs (1.8Kg) and/or one cubic foot has to go international priority which would be about $41 thanks to rate increases, it was $33 before Jan 1st.

hm.. you can't send TO the US. This is quite new.

OK I called USPS international about this, and they refereed me to US Customs. Talked to a very nice lady there and she said there are no new limits or embargoes for packages coming into the US, and that it this is a rumor that they are aware of that is circulating in some countries postal systems.

The limits I posted above are for the postal system, carrier services can go to 75lbs I believe.

According to the US Customs, they aren't the ones rejecting the packages, it's the other country's postal systems imposing restrictions that don't exist or are falling fault to rumor.

Edit: This is a official statment from the Austrian Postal service:

Parcels and letters exceeding 500 grams may be sent as EMS items only.

Due to changes in the provisions issued by the Transport and Security Administration (TSA), letters and parcels shipped to the United States of America by Austrian Post may not exceed 499 grams. As an alternative, Austrian Post suggests using its EMS service. Our EMS service for items sent to the USA is available for items not exceeding 31.5 kilos.All EMS items must include a pro forma invoice or a commercial invoice!

Austrian Post apologizes for these inconveniences. At the present time, we are unable to tell how long these limitations will apply. We will promptly provide information about any changes.

EMS is a high priced carrier service.

That's interesting considering the TSA has nothing to do with packages coming into the US.

An alternative to not shipping to the US could be to find someone in Canada to forward the packages for you. Shipping is very reasonable between the US and Canada.

That's interesting considering the TSA has nothing to do with packages coming into the US.

An alternative to not shipping to the US could be to find someone in Canada to forward the packages for you. Shipping is very reasonable between the US and Canada.

Depending on the size of the item this is true, but parcels can be costly to ship between Canada and the States. I've done a fair bit of shipping into US from Canada and some of the costs are rather high. After having sent something from Europe to Canada, and then into the US, you're probably looking at prices comparable to just going with the higher priced services out of Europe in the first place. This will not be true of small packets of course.

I have been hearing the same thing. Apparently its is move by the Department of Homeland security who owns the TSA by the way. TSA and DHS have been guilty of government over reach in the past few years all in the name of protecting US citizens from terrorism. I could rant for hours about the DHS and TSA gestapos but I won't. Anybody that wants to look deeper into these sort of things should check out Alex Jones at Prisonplanet and Infowars.

Also this new law only applies to air mail. Surface mail (by ship) does not have this restriction but you are looking at a much longer shipping time.

Edited by Smitty

This is a new regulation put into place and a signed international agreement. This applies to all shipped items which will be considered air cargo not on designated shipping comany planes, i.e. all items shipped via local postal services air mail to the U.S.

This is the Dept. Of Homeland Screwup, I mean Security's panicked response to last fall's bomb in air cargo on planes threat coming out of Yemen. I'm not an eexplosives expert by any means, but I think a lot of damage can be done by less than 1lb or 500g of plastique. This sucks, I order a lot of out of print books from overseas and not I'm not. Going to be able to afford it. Let alone the hand guards, shoulder straps, and compad I was about to order from people overseas. I'm terribly disappointed in the gov't.