How tall were the 1977 TK’s from ANH.

Hello all, I have searched here at the forum and I must have not been searching right or something because I am sure this question has been asked before, I just cannot find where. :unsure:

How tall were the 1977 TK’s that appear at ANH?

Thanks for any ideas. :)

there's a great pic somewhere that show's three modern TK's together with three of the original 1976 Stormtroopers, it's great for size comparison & rational for the difference in the trimming of the armour "backs of thighs & such"

yep I though it was round the 5'11" 5'10" mark too

someone may have the pic? :)

Edited by riveting

The guy from ukg who met some original troopers are all around the 5'7 mark and in armour were around the same height as those original guys..

Search through stukatroopers threads ;)

The guys from ukg who met some original troopers are all around the 5'7 mark and in armour were around the same height as those original guys..

Search through stukatroopers threads ;)

Update:

I have a guy working in my building this week that was a stormtrooper in ESB and ROTJ and I've just measured him.

I stand at 6'1 in my work boots and he is a good 2 inches shorter than I am - so I guess he's around the 5'9 mark..

Update:

I have a guy working in my building this week that was a stormtrooper in ESB and ROTJ and I've just measured him.

I stand at 6'1 in my work boots and he is a good 2 inches shorter than I am - so I guess he's around the 5'9 mark..

Mark, confused...if he's 2" shorter than your 6'1", then that makes him 5'11"?

There's 12" in a foot.

It's not an exact science - but I am pretty good at guessing other peoples height and weight.

I myself in barefeet stand at 5'11. I used to be taller until I shattered my pelvis. I wear boots that make me around 6'1.

The actor I'm with today is shorter than me and obviously wearing shoes to work - but not anything that would add extra height.

He's a good 2 inches shorter and at a guess I would put him at 5'9. Infect I've just been on imdb and that's what is says.

He's taller than you John whichever way you look at it.

I read where Lucas preferred the person in the Stormtrooper suit to be 5'10". He liked the way the armor fitted a person that size. But, as you can see in the photos below, the people playing them were all different heights. I guess Lucas didn't tell the casting director to send out a call for anyone 5'10" X number of pounds. I know that they do this in the movies when they are casting for parts for extras or a certain type.

If we are talking about Hamill, he is not what his bio says 5'9". All actors exaggerate things about themselves and the number one thing is usually height. You can tell that Hamill is not tall because of his chest piece being trimmed much shorter so you can see his AB plate.

As for anybody that actually did play a Stormtrooper in the OT, meeting them now and trying to get an idea of what their height was 30 plus years ago would be hard, because as you get older your body compresses and thus you height shortens. So their height 30 years ago is not what it is now.

christiescoverblank.jpg

StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p0.jpg

All of the anecdotal evidence I have read definitely put their height below 6 feet. I do remember getting pretty excited because I seemed to see a lot of stories claiming 5'-7" to 5'-10" and about 165lbs....which makes me a good example ANH Trooper at 5'10", 165lbs.

A theory of mine is, they wanted Vader to look more menacing by have the TKs and/or everyone around him to be much shorter.

If you have ever seen a tall 501st TK standing beside a 501st Vader, the Vader doesn't look that impressive, or is it, most impressive. ;):D

See how they picked a shorter TK to stand beside Vader in this scene. This is to give Vader a larger presence. It is all about the magic behind the movies.

anhref-4330912.jpg

I’ve heard also a not to long ago that the space troopers, the guys who appear only one time in ANH, where the falcon is entering the DS, those guys were 6â€3 to 6â€5, here is a picture of them when Lukas looks at one of them like if he was looking at Chewbacca and not to a Stormtrooper.

SP2.jpg

SP1.jpg

I wondering all this because I am 1.87 meters height and that’s around 6â€2, I am taller than the average here in Mexico though, but on my very first troop I’ve got the “Aren’t you a little tall to be Stormtrooper…†comment. It does not bother me at all, I am very use to, to be surrounded by shorties all the time… :P:P:P

TKAlto.jpg

Like Steve / riveting says; it would it been nice if someone may have the picture where it show's three modern TK's together with three of the original 1976 Stormtroopers for size comparison. :duim:

Here you go chaps :)

32101_1343467189257_1308550914_30835595_6204776_n.jpg

Gary and Pete, I believe, with a few of the original Stormtrooper actors.

Joe Johnston always looked about the perfect size for trooper armour to me, he wears it well. His arms are on backwards and the forearms strapped up high, but the rest of his suit looks to fit him perfectly.

I’ve heard also a not to long ago that the space troopers, the guys who appear only one time in ANH, where the falcon is entering the DS, those guys were 6â€3 to 6â€5, here is a picture of them when Lukas looks at one of them like if he was looking at Chewbacca and not to a Stormtrooper.

SP2.jpg

SP1.jpg

I wondering all this because I am 1.87 meters height and that’s around 6â€2, I am taller than the average here in Mexico though, but on my very first troop I’ve got the “Aren’t you a little tall to be Stormtrooper…†comment. It does not bother me at all, I am very use to, to be surrounded by shorties all the time… :P:P:P

TKAlto.jpg

Like Steve / riveting says; it would it been nice if someone may have the picture where it show's three modern TK's together with three of the original 1976 Stormtroopers for size comparison. :duim:

In regards to that photo of Lucas looking up at the "space" trooper...I recall seeing a behind the scene photo of that particular shot being filmed and swear I recall that the trooper(s) were standing on a bench of some sort. That may account for George needing to look up so high.

BTW, Steven, I wouldn't worry about your height, you look great in your armour in that photo.

Edited by TKRobert

Like Mark said, the "Space Trooper" was played by Joe Johnston.

Here are alternative views of the same shot. Johnston is standing on a riser, that is why he looks so much taller than Lucas. Because of the view from the first pic that you posted, the camera angle made the TKs look "Wookie tall" and Lucas look like a Hobbit.

File0021.jpg

File0020.jpg

I think there was a lot of standing on boxes during filming - the guy who I'm working with who was a trooper in esb and Jedi said his first memory of filming empire was walking onto the sound stage and seeing a tall man standing on a box. When he asked what for, the reply was 'that's chewbacca's stand in!'

You are totally CORRECTO Tom; excellent reference pictures, sure clarifies y the ST height. :D

Mark, Paul, Robert, Terry, Steve, James, John, to all thanks for the great info. :salute:

If anybody has more reference pictures please… they are more then welcome. :peace: