The Thighs

I am at the thighs portion of my armor and I watched Daves 4 part video set on this topic but something wasnt covered that im still curious about, even after looking around for tips.

How big should they be?

How are they held on?

When I tape both of mine together, One is actually bigger than the other. They arent exactly round so Im dealing with that too.

Hopefully this will help out anyone else who has scratched their head on this one as well..

i think that most people are inserting foam block's on the inside to keep in place or adding velcro to the inside of the armour and on the undersuit.

I could be wrong but it the most common way that i've seen would like to help you out more.

(i'm still a newb)

i'll see if i can fin some pic's

For the thighs I did a test fit and then trimmed them. Since the thighs are large enough for you to fit your foot through, I would suggest gluing both sides. Some guys glue the front then use velcro on the back, like the calves, but I prefer the whole thing glued.

As for install and support, I use a garter belt system and clips inside. Similar to the instructions, except using nylon and straps. Makes them adjustable, and keeps them from bouncing the way elastic does. I think Ruf Terrain (Steve) has a great visual of this on his web site, and I copies what he did for this part of my armor (Thanks Steve!!).

-----

One you get them on, if they are trimmed to fit close to your legs, I do not think you will need to worry much about them moving, but the foam inserts would help if it is still an issue.

Hope this helps,

:trooper:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

You should only need foam if you have very skinny thighs and thick calves. Some people never trim them and have barrel thigh syndrome and then these really skinny shins that look awful. Trim them - please please trim them down so that they look proportional on you. Please don't propagate the distended thigh look (and for sure they are asymmetrical, so look awful w/o any trimming/shimming at all).

I'd strongly recommend only gluing the fronts and velroing the back for the first few troops until you're 100% confidant of how that back fits, as one you glue you're screwed.

The other thing you can do before you take the knife to the thighs is to try overlapping them at the back and use industrial strength velcro to hold it together (overlapped) when you troop. Then you can get a good feel for how tight they will be once you trim them. One thing I found at C-IV and CE is that my thighs do "pump up" when I am trooping in armor days at a time, so what feels comfortable on the first day definitely is not comfortable on the third or fourth day. This may not be an issue for you, since most troops are for a couple of hours. But just something else to think about before you trim and glue the backside. (As if you are looking for something more to think about.)

I did a garter system that can be found here: -----

It's not adjustable, but I've never had to adjust it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Ive learned that its easier to cut off that to put back on, but my fear is having them too big and looking simply wrong. Im not a skinny guy and have worked out my legs, but i dont anticipate them getting *that* big. I will consider the garder approach, im just concerned that the webbing will be too noticeable.

I've done both the strap from the cod to the thighs and the garter. If you can see the garter easily from my POV it means that the thighs are sitting too low on your legs. Looking at myself in the mirror with both systems, it's not really a difference either way.

Dave didn't mention how to attach thighs to the Torso?... :huh:

Dave's Garage Episode 9 Pt1

The FX thighs are a problem... One is larger then the other and they are not sculpted enough to fit well, it takes a lot of time and wearing to get them right. Don't trim to much though or your won't be able to move well, I suggest wearing all of your armor and then trimming them.

To be honest I still have work to do on my thighs. :6:

Like TK4999 said "One thing I found at C-IV and CE is that my thighs do "pump up" when I am trooping in armor days at a time, so what feels comfortable on the first day definitely is not comfortable on the third or fourth day." and my own experience of wearing them at the Comic-Con for a Troop I can only agree.

I have some foam in the inside for comfort only, I glued the front and velcro at the back though I do need a larger piece of velcro at the back to stop them coming apart as they both did once at the Comic-Con. My thighs attach with elastic & snaps from the torso to the top of the inner thigh like a suspender...

Good Luck

Dave

I bought a lot of pressure tested industrial velcro for my armor. You are right on the different sizes. I taped both of them together for a test fit and one is defiantly larger than the other. Im just wondering if I should make them snug, or leave room. Like I read somewhere that if your able to put two of your fingers in the top, your golden.

I think when im ready to do a field test, im going to the mall. North County Fair in Escondido (hint hint) and Ill see what rubs me wrong :P I figured an indoor mall would be choice to test.

anyhoo. thanks for the tips :)

I think I have to say that the thighs are the most stressful part of assembling my armor. You cant clamps the center. You have to sit there and hold it. If your not careful, If you attach two clamps on the end, you wont notice it at first, but you will creat a buckle, and realize you need to take the end clamps off.

I looked a lot of places for C-Clamps that extra long, but no luck. I wasnt about to pay 40 dollars for a clamp i needed only twice.

phew

EDIT:

Did I happen to mention that while I was holding the center down, grumbling about holding holding it right, at least 3 minutes went by before i noticed my elbow nesting in the mixture of epoxy. :6:

I HATE HATE HATE the FX thighs..I STILL can't get mine to work right, so I am no help...just wanted to vent!

Why not just order a set from RT, TM, or AP?

When it came to putting my fx thighs together i wanted to glue the front and use velcro at the back. But after having some issues when glueing the front of my shins i used velcro all over and have not had any probs yet. I may glue them in the future i dont know yet...

But getting back on how to do them im sure if you follow everyones advice you will not have any probs, they are easier than you think.

I started by taping the front part together with masking tape and then slipped them on and held them high up my leg where i thought they should be.

Then get someone with a pencil to help you and wrap the leg piece around as tight as you think you will need them and mark all the way down. I tapered mine in quite alot towards the knee to get rid of the barrel effect.

Then i took the leg off and taped the piece up where the pencil mark was on the back and tried it on again. After i was happy with the fit i used 2 inch velcro on the inside part and cut the other side to fit the angled mark.

I use a single piece of 2 inch elastic that holds my back and front ab part together and that then carries on down to my thighs and is held in place with snaps. I had a couple of goes at getting the thighs to the hight i wanted and so far have not had any problems touch wood.

I didnt trim anything off my thigh at all just left the overlap on the inside.

And remember as others have said, dont make the thighs too tight, you have to be comfortable wearing this when walking around, its got to be a compromise between what looks good and what is wearable.

If you want to see any pics of my armour just let me know :salute:

well i finished mine, they are velcroed in the back so i can glue later depending how things go after a field test or a couple troop runs (crossing fingers being accepted in the 501st that is) you can see pics in my other thread "Its Here!" (which no one has replied since i posted the link!) Note the cutout i didnt in the back as relief

ok i have a concern and in need of an opinion. Ive made a garder to hold up the thighs and am concerned about the gap between the actual thighs and the cod piece.

gapcheck.jpg

The white strip you see is the reflection off the webbing i used. not sure what im going to do about that. I want to be comfortable, but i dont want to look "off".

thanks for your tips.

..looks about the same as mine..my left thigh even sits higher like yours! You'll be supprised how much the drop boxes make the gap less noticable..as far as the webbing goes, it looks fine to me!

501stanhv20212.thumb.jpg.d4e44518ded8eeade1b24f6fb91f1765.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

sweet deal, i was really concerned. thanks a lot brotha!

EDIT:

ya know, I really hope its just my imagination, but im wondering if my ab/back piece is too small :-/

I have a little bit of a gap. Hard to tell in this stage.

I'm 6'3" myself with an AP kit and you can also see some black there for me.

Seriously, considering the odds of the AP fitting on me, I consider it the last of my worries :)

Forgive my missings .. no glove, boots (I cropped my naked feet

I know, I still haven't completed my suit, no glove, no boots and no knee pads (still didn't figure how to rivet it since it doesn't fit at all!)

post-347-1188015801_thumb.jpg