Forgive me if someone else has already posted this up but look at these

-------

Search google for a thing call 'footman loops'

There are loooooads of different shapes out there

But these look close

John :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

same principle, but the archive pics clearly show the brackets on the suits were bent wire - this is too 'sophisticated' ;)

Edited by R2Dan

same principle, but the archive pics clearly show the brackets on the suits were bent wire - this is too 'sophisticated' ;)

Lol, just a little bit yeah but for something tat looks 'close' that will do the same job without the bendy hassle, they're not bad :)

Snowtroopers had something very similar on the chest

Anyone got a link to a the archive photos?

John

Dan’s right. definitely the same principle mate. Footman loops are, and have been, used in

a myriad of ways with the most common being cars, boats, carriages and of course

military vehicles. The ones used on the armour were pretty thin but strong wire so would

perhaps limit the possibility that they were commercial made or a found part, that’s not to

say that they wasn’t, it just narrows the field down for an ‘off the shelf’ part and what it may

have been manufacture for. It wouldn’t have been too hard for a little machine shop or even

the studio work shop / prop department to knock these up for the suits because they would’ve

had the right tools in hand to accommodate the amount required.

Here’s some pic’s showing the strapping bars on the suits

1402536289_Ab_Kidney_Connection_02(1).thumb.jpg.f38852cd1b434cee0714e96465fb40d7.jpgP8270187.thumb.jpg.f6aed3df72d80ec6f901404a577a4fac.jpgAb_Plate_02.thumb.jpg.1606131969a357facf2b93d1d499e9d1.jpg

:)

Cheers Billy, seen those pics yes, but is there a suite of these LFL photos hidden away somewhere?

Or aren't people sharing info anymore lol

I'm just curious as to why they'd bother making these wire bracket things up when they already exist? Know what I mean?

If you google footman loop you'll see there are loads of them, all shapes and sizes and thicknesses

I agree mine is a little too 'fancy' and the ones in those pics are one line of wire, from the ones we can make out.

The one I posted above more closely resembles the ones used on the snowtrooper chest plate actually,(for the back strap) I've been trying to find a close match and then found out what they're actually freeking called lol

Now, if they used those on ESB TSs,why didn't they just make some more brackets as before? And why bother making them in the first place when they're a common 5p item?

Very common on jeeps for some reason?

Hand made wire brackets are fine yes, but those little footman looking buggers, could be from 'something' originally ;)

Either way - found or built - I like the concept. I think it would make the armor easier to adjust than using velcro like many people do. I don't dig the exposed screw heads for my personal armor though they are of course beautiful from a prop replication standpoint.

I'm surprised no one has suggested this method of strapping when the Legion was younger - sure seems easier than using snap plates actually as the straps would be more easily adjustable. I've seen some people make ABS bridges that serve the same purpose, but it's not like people make them in kits (perhaps an unserved need?)

speaking of accurate, do the fixing nuts and bolts have a cap, or a bolt top on them?

some of the bolts look like they just have a rivet cap, with no bolt top.

like a smooth cap on the top of the bolt, where it shows on the armor.

how about the dimensions of the bolt/nut?

most likely they are smaller than 6/32??

I used a combination of anything i could find.. normally M3 or M3.5

Some pictures in the archives show the bolts being replaced with rivets, so anything goes.. or even string!!!

John

As I said, they may well be a found part but I think that the very nature of their

construction may well limit this because they seem so bloody thin to use any where else :)

As for the ones on the Snowy, that was three years later and it was a new costume which was

probably made by a completely different bunch of guys (and girls :D) and they may have

used the stormy suits as a point of reference and used some similar ones that were available

over the counter :)

One of the things that's always bugged me is that we have none to very little documntation about

the stormtrooper costume, and where we have its kindaa flakey.

Check out Molo's notes that were made in '79 AFTER ANH but around the time of ESB.

Its like he's trying to remember how it was set up and just filling in the gaps and added to it where he can't :unsure:

MolonotesJune79_sept09_02clean.jpg.e74e5bc3d68fce822a33c212657cfa94.jpgMolo20notesJune79_sept09_01.jpg.605c99ee3f4f49e5c707434ca6fb81df.jpg

Ha ha, I know where Jez got those notes from too ;)

Lucky sod

So cool to see them like that.

I don't know lads, and really I don't care if they were made up or already made, all I'm saying is, if you fancy something 80% of the way there, these offer a very simple pre made alternative. And a bit of google sniffing may even turn up a very close replica

I think we should ask Mr Mollo next time we see him? Nice enough chap.

Now a trouser hook and bar is what got me thinking they may have been, but most are too small and not thin enough. A woman in work told me the bit I'm after is actually called a 'footman loop'

Google images, hit go and I got excited.

But put it this way, if someone told me back in 76 to make 50 suits of these brackets when I could quite easily grab a handful of already made footman loops, I'd have told them to................

:)

John

As I said, they may well be a found part but I think that the very nature of their

construction may well limit this because they seem so bloody thin to use any where else :)

As for the ones on the Snowy, that was three years later and it was a new costume which was

probably made by a completely different bunch of guys (and girls :D) and they may have

used the stormy suits as a point of reference and used some similar ones that were available

over the counter :)

One of the things that's always bugged me is that we have none to very little documntation about

the stormtrooper costume, and where we have its kindaa flakey.

Check out Molo's notes that were made in '79 AFTER ANH but around the time of ESB.

Its like he's trying to remember how it was set up and just filling in the gaps and added to it where he can't :unsure:

I think when I heard some video discussion about it, they were notes on "improvements" for the

evolution of the construction, like an updated list of the problem areas they discovered

with the ANH design, and this seems to be his list of those improvements.