Drop Box Placement

After scrubbing through ANH a few times, I'm still a bit stumped as to exactly where to fasten my drop boxes to my belt. Out of these three options, which do you regard as the most screen accurate?

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/22/2010 at 10:31 AM, G%20Force said:

After scrubbing through ANH a few times, I'm still a bit stumped as to exactly where to fasten my drop boxes to my belt. Out of these three options, which do you regard as the most screen accurate?

--------

I say Option "B"

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

According to the promo pics and most ANH screencaps I can find, I say that option C ist most accurate:

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I say whichever spot covers up the most blackspace between the thigh and abdomen pieces. That was the intention of the drop boxes in the first place.

• Like 1

I say whichever spot covers up the most blackspace between the thigh and abdomen pieces. That was the intention of the drop boxes in the first place.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I disagree.

You should be trying to emulate what is on seen screen, not what you think they should be like. Your school of thought is why most of you guys will never actually look like real stormtroopers, just interpretations.

*edit* Option C FTW!

Edited by troopermaster

I disagree.

You should be trying to emulate what is on seen screen, not what you think they should be like. Your school of thought is why most of you guys will never actually look like real stormtroopers, just interpretations.

*edit* Option C FTW!

Ouch! :laugh1:

At the risk of derailing the thread, wasn't the intent of the drop boxes exactly as stated? As I understand it, the stormtrooper costume was an evolution of the sandtrooper costume, with drop boxes, ab buttons, thermal detonator, and a redesigned knee plate added to enhance the overall appearance.

Also, if one is to look like a "real stormtrooper" doesn't that demand that one be a slightly-built man of approximately 5'10" and 160lbs? Personally, I haven't been that size in about 20 years, nor would I want to be. That may have been the norm or even ideal body 30 years ago during the era of "Twiggy" (remember her?), but it certainly isn't now.

Finally, not all of the drop boxes on all the screen-used costumes appear to be placed exactly in the same spot relative to the belt. For instance, "option C" has the outer edge of the drop box exactly lined up with the outer edge of the plastic belt, just like in the promo picture Dennis posted.

However, the photo Pablo posted doesn't appear to show that alignmnent - granted, you have to use some mental visualization to see it. Furthermore, if you look at the screen-cap that Dennis posted, you can see examples of both Option C and Option B on the trooper in the rear on the far left of the screen-cap, and the trooper to his immediate left.

• Like 1

Finally, not all of the drop boxes on all the screen-used costumes appear to be placed exactly in the same spot relative to the belt. For instance, "option C" has the outer edge of the drop box exactly lined up with the outer edge of the plastic belt, just like in the promo picture Dennis posted.

However, the photo Pablo posted doesn't appear to show that alignmnent (granted, you have to use some mental visualization to see it). Furthermore, if you look at the screen-cap that Dennis posted, you can see examples of both Option C and Option B on the trooper in the rear on the far left of the screen-cap, and the trooper to his immediate left.

I would have said option C is Exactly what is shown in Pablo's pic.

I would have said option C is Exactly what is shown in Pablo's pic.

If you mentally rotate the drop box and straighten the elastic such that the top edge of the drop box is parallel with the bottom edge of the plastic belt, the outer edge of the drop box will extend past the outer edge of the plastic belt. If not, then the plastic belt is longer than it appears to be based on where it appears to end (which is of course hidden by the belt).

Even without using mental visualization, the belt on the trooper second from the left in the screen cap looks most like Option B. Just one more example of the variability in the details from one screen-used suit to the next, and why if you truly want to emulate screen-used, you have to pick a single stormtrooper to emulate. Anything else - including attempting to combine the varying details of different screen-used suits - can only result in an interpretation.

On 8/23/2010 at 3:28 AM, tkrestonva said:

If you mentally rotate the drop box and straighten the elastic such that the top edge of the drop box is parallel with the bottom edge of the plastic belt, the outer edge of the drop box will extend past the outer edge of the plastic belt. If not, then the plastic belt is longer than it appears to be based on where it appears to end (which is of course hidden by the belt).

I disagree:

---------

Excuse the rudity of the graphic but this clearly shows that if you rotated it round it would lie in line. If you look carefully you can see the way the fabric drapes over the edge of the plastic belt, roughly in line with the red graphic. that gap looks pretty bloody close to the gap between elastic edge and box edge to me.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Here are a few more ambiguous photos just to confuse us even more. :) After looking at the screen grabs in this post and scrubbing through the movie one more time, I'm convinced that Option C is perhaps the intended position or at least the most frequently used. The problem is, these things bounced around so freakin' much, that it's almost impossible to get a clean medium/close shot of one hanging straight down...

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Looks like we have a good old fashion armor debate, boys and girls. I'll make the popcorn. :lol:

I stick by what I said before, for the very reasons Brian pointed out.

But honestly, I'm not gonna look down on another troopers armor because his db is a half inch more to the inside than mine.

Btw TM, ouch harsh. :blink:;)

After looking at the screen grabs in this post and scrubbing through the movie one more time, I'm convinced that Option C is perhaps the intended position or at least the most frequently used.

That statement - I can agree with.

To my eye, there is definitely variability in where the boxes are placed and the screen cap Dennis posted illustrates it. I seem to remember Mark (firebladejedi) once stating that the drop boxes were not fixed to the belt, but looped around as shown - and as a result tended to slide a bit as the trooper moved around. Would that explain the variable positioning?

- Mark, my apologies if I attributed something to you that you actually didn't state.

Not being harsh, just honest.

What I try and tell people is that to try and look like a stormtrooper you have to copy what they did back in the costume deptmartment back in 1977. That means using the same techniques of assembly, strapping and materials otherwise you will fail to get desired look. Now that may not be everyones cup of tea and that's fine, you will just never look like what you see on screen.

I think too many people think too hard about things. Just copy what you see on screen as they ARE stormtroopers. They are what you are trying to look like at the end of the day. If you don't then be happy with your interpretations :)

Don't take this as a bashing. All I am saying is to truly look like a stormtrooper you need to copy what you see on screen.

Not being harsh, just honest.

What I try and tell people is that to try and look like a stormtrooper you have to copy what they did back in the costume deptmartment back in 1977. That means using the same techniques of assembly, strapping and materials otherwise you will fail to get desired look. Now that may not be everyones cup of tea and that's fine, you will just never look like what you see on screen.

I think too many people think too hard about things. Just copy what you see on screen as they ARE stormtroopers. They are what you are trying to look like at the end of the day. If you don't then be happy with your interpretations :)

Don't take this as a bashing. All I am saying is to truly look like a stormtrooper you need to copy what you see on screen.

I do 100% agree with you. But it is also true that we cannot replicate all so perfect if we want to use armor for trooping. For example, if I use black boots white painted they're movie accurate, but 90% of the people who see me will think "what a crap, didn't he have the money to buy white boots?".

So I think it depends on the use.

Edited by lightside

I do 100% agree with you. But it is also true that we cannot replicate all so perfect if we want to use armor for trooping. For example, if I use black boots white painted they're movie accurate, but 90% of the people who see me will think "what a crap, didn't he have the money to buy white boots?".

So I think it depends on the use.

Again, this kind of attitude holds you back, in my opinion. I can fully understand where you are coming from, but I would not care what 'the people' think. White boots are idealaised, what they are supposed to be, NOT what they are. See where I'm coming from?

To me, option C is the closest.

Here is a good pic for reference:

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

See where I'm coming from?

Perfectly. Do not misunderstand me, we come from the same place. But if we would live on a desert isle, we would take care of the armor just for display, just like when you put it on a mannequin at home. You create a replica for youself pleasure. But when you troop out you do it also for the people, to be pictured as well.

I'm not saying we have to go back trooping with FX helmet, but to create an armor for trooping. Last I like to see how the members personalize their armors, it is movie accurate too, since the stormtroopers were not all identical.

I dream to have a perfect movie accurate armor, but I would display it, not use it (I'm afraid to ruin that and also I want an armor for trooping, when I troop, I'm not an actor with pauses and no ownership interst to the armor he wears).

Edited by lightside