Does anyone never tried walkie talkie?

I was wondering whether walkie talkie could work fine as a voice amp. There are many at reasonable prices out there, you can by a pair of WT with less then 30$ like these ones:

-----------

The coolest thing is you speak in a radio, so the effect should be guaranteed. You can disassemble one and put its circuit in the helmet, and put the other one in the chestbox. They should communicate each other via radio channel and give to the costume a cool visual effect (you take off the helmet and nothing is visible: no wires, no microphones, etc...) and avoid larsen feedback.

Does anyone already tired this method?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

How would you activate them though? Unless you plan to have the channel open for the whole troop. I would think this would be awesome if you could implement push to talk, that way you might even get a static burst, plus your mic wouldn't constantly be on.

How would you activate them though? Unless you plan to have the channel open for the whole troop. I would think this would be awesome if you could implement push to talk, that way you might even get a static burst, plus your mic wouldn't constantly be on.

Yep, the idea was to have the channel open for the whole troop.

If you check in the movies (expecially ANH) the static burst effect is not so hard, sometimes it is not audible at all.

Check this scene for example:

You need to pay lot of attention to hear it at the end of every phrase.

Moreover, techically hearing the static burst while troopers speak is incorrect, because it is a noise created by the opening of the microphone circuit and audible to the receiver. So it's believable that troopers hear that noise in their helmet when they talk each other via comlink, but not people outside.

The UKG have a system called trooper com. It consists of a two way radio system that plugs into a romfx system. To cut out the rom speaker and activate the radio you simply touch your gloved finger ( with a magnet in the fingertip ) to the ear of your helmet ( otherside of which is a microswitch ) and you can speak to the other troopercom users without broadcasting your conversation.

i was thinking of using a toy microphone that broadcast to any FM radio.. like this lol

-----------

then put a small radio in my armor to play the sound, its cheesy but cheap and easy :P

Edited by gmrhodes13

The UKG have a system called trooper com. It consists of a two way radio system that plugs into a romfx system. To cut out the rom speaker and activate the radio you simply touch your gloved finger ( with a magnet in the fingertip ) to the ear of your helmet ( otherside of which is a microswitch ) and you can speak to the other troopercom users without broadcasting your conversation.

Wow, very cool!!!

On 8/12/2010 at 2:45 AM, lightside said:

I was wondering whether walkie talkie could work fine as a voice amp. There are many at reasonable prices out there, you can by a pair of WT with less then 30$ like these ones:

-----------

The coolest thing is you speak in a radio, so the effect should be guaranteed. You can disassemble one and put its circuit in the helmet, and put the other one in the chestbox. They should communicate each other via radio channel and give to the costume a cool visual effect (you take off the helmet and nothing is visible: no wires, no microphones, etc...) and avoid larsen feedback.

Does anyone already tired this method?

There is an audible pop at the end of every line in this scene. In addition, every scene filmed indoors with no background noise, like in the opening raid and subsequent death star scenes, the burst is even more prominent. In ESB/ROTJ the pop/burst is all but gone, but in ANH its a very distinct property of a stormtrooper's voice. Additionally, I personally hate the idea of having my mic always on... nobody needs to hear me panting in the head of my helmet or clearing my throat.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Just because 90% of voice amps are always on, means that it is the best way to go? I understand if you have the opinion of leaving your mic always on, thats fine, but just cause most people have them is not a reason for them. I can easily say that this "90%" is due to lower cost of always-on systems. If this 90% is even an accurate figure. Aker PTT systems and ROM/FX make up the vast majority of trooper audio systems, and both stay off until activated, or a minimum threshold is broken to cue the mic.

Just because 90% of voice amps are always on, means that it is the best way to go?

I did not say that.

I would leave the mic opened because I don't have an alternative with this method. I have a ROM/FX too, I was only trying to find a cheaper way to have a good sound voice and asking if someone had already tried this way.

wouldn't it be nice if each trooper had a multi-channel com.

1 channel for broadcast to outside.

2 channel for broadcast to squad level

3 channel for all trooper units

how about having the garrison level commander

decide the channel for their own squad.

the all trooper units channel would allow for events where troopers from

across the whole detachment could talk, and it's cool for unit separation

on the regional level.

I sure wish that we had an optional system to provide for troopers who want this functionality.

Matt - and you've not plugged me in to one of these? Dude, shoot me a PM as right now my helmets are as vacuous as the eyes of a slave Leia that's been forced to pose against Jabba at C5 with 40 dudes in a row.

• 2 months later...

i've been looking for a trooper com for a while now never seen anyone use them in the uk garrison yet

a few people have them but no one uses them.

was told they are no longer made and quite expensive.

which is a shame as i think all troopers should have them it would add authenticity and would be so cool.

My garrison is going to try out our own version of Troopercom today at Air & Scare, our HUGE annual Halloween troop at the National Air & Space Museum.

It's not as elegant as the UKG's system, but it's cheap (less than $50 per setup), easy to install, and can be moved between costumes. It's based on my personal setup:

4844882907_a62819dfbd.jpg

It's worked well in the limited tests I've done so far, but today is the real test. I'll post something in the Field Training Exercises section within a couple of days letting everyone know how well it worked.

I did a push to talk setup in my TK a while back but I got tired of always having to press the button. It seemed like such a simple concept but if you are holding a blaster with two hands then you have adjust your hands so you can press the button. Also, having to run a wire down my arm got tiring to do. Maybe I'm lazy. I found that the stupid 2.5mm to 3mm adapters I had to use so the jack would fit in my app would sometimes work loose and then no one could hear me. I tried taping them together but sometimes they just managed to work loose. Anyone ever find a throat mic that by default has a simple 3mm jack on it? The ones I've found all have a double prong jack that you have to use an adapter with or are by default 2.5mm and wired differently than the amps we use.

a few people have them but no one uses them.

was told they are no longer made and quite expensive.

About three years ago, a few troopers in the Nordic Garrison, myself included, got a chance to buy TrooperComs. We only started using them last year, due to the rather complicated setup process. I think that´s the real reason why they don´t get a lot more mileage. Because, as far as I can recall, the TrooperCom itself was pretty cheap, actually. No more than GBP £25-30, IIRC.

However, there´s a lot of stuff you need to cram into your helmet; A radio, the TrooperCom chip, microphone, headphone, battery pack - not to mention all the wires...You have to connect your microphone to the TrooperCom, the TrooperCom to the ROM/FX and the radio, the radio to a speaker or a headphone. Not counting adapters, in case, eg., your radio doesn´t have the same plug for the headset and microphone (like mine does), or splitters, in case you have a single pin radio (like I do...), or audio extension cables, and so on.

There´s also the wire with the red LED, which goes under your one eye (to let you know when the TrooperCom is activated), and the second wire with the magnetic reed switch, that I have hidden under the "ear"-cover on my helmet.

You also need to find a radio that´ll work with your setup, specifically your microphone and headset.

It took me the better part of two-three days to get everything to work right, and I still run into a few issues at troops every now and then. If you have the radio too close to the ROM/FX, for instance, you´ll get interference. Or the back of your head could be pushing the PTT button on the radio, blocking everybody´s comms, etc. And, sudden malfunctions could be due to any number of reasons; Low battery in the radio, the TrooperCom or the ROM/FX, bad connections between one or more of the 5-6 plugs and sockets, electrical short outs due to humidity...

All in all: The TrooperCom system is just too complicated for most troopers to bother with. It´s amazingly fun, and really useful once everything is hooked up and running smoothly. I´ve been to events where we´ve needed to time our appearance on stage from four different entrances, something that would´ve been a lot more complicated, if not impossible without the TrooperCom. Knowing that you can call on your fellow troopers if they should disappear in a crowd, or call for backup if necessary, is also a great plus. But getting it set up right, and make sure it´s running smoothly, does take some time and dedication. Thankfully, a number of the regulars at troops in our Garrison are as enamored with it as I am, so I´ve gotten some great use out of it. But I can see why other troopers would have a TrooperCom, but opt not to use it on a regular basis.

What would be really great, though, is a small, self-contained comm system that´ll work out of the box, taking minimal time to set up and service. Anyone up for the challenge?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some R&D on a multi-pole plug and wire system that will run between your helmet and armour. It's designed to pass a signal from your mic, a signal to Hovi tips, a signal to a back plate mounted speaker and also to power a helmet mounted fan. All power packs and amps etc. are mounted in your chest plate. Is anyone interested in this sort of thing? Just two plugs and a wire. It's also large enough to unhook with your gloves on and is mounted on an elastic mount so it pops back into your chest plate.

It would be very neat and professional like all the gear I make.

They are quite time consuming to build but the solution is good. I just have to work out if anyone is interested – let me know if you are please.

Also, I made a really nice PTT unit. It has a microswitch and a slide switch. So, you can have it PTT or always on using the slide switch. It's very small but I had the same problem as noted in these threads. It's not that easy to operate with a blaster in your hand. I did attach a Velcro strap and looped it around my finger. This enabled me to press it against my thumb to operate or press against my blaster. Both solutions worked but I'm sure there is a better way to hold / mount it. It's made from the volume control you get on VOIP headsets – I've got loads of them from the microphones I adapt for my amp kits. The connector is a 2.5mm DIN type that works really well.

I've come across blaster mounted switches, chest plate switches, glove inserted micro switches etc. I still don't think this problem has been solved yet.

I need to think on it a bit more and any development suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Rees.

About three years ago, a few troopers in the Nordic Garrison, myself included, got a chance to buy TrooperComs. We only started using them last year, due to the rather complicated setup process. I think that´s the real reason why they don´t get a lot more mileage. Because, as far as I can recall, the TrooperCom itself was pretty cheap, actually. No more than GBP £25-30, IIRC.

However, there´s a lot of stuff you need to cram into your helmet; A radio, the TrooperCom chip, microphone, headphone, battery pack - not to mention all the wires...You have to connect your microphone to the TrooperCom, the TrooperCom to the ROM/FX and the radio, the radio to a speaker or a headphone. Not counting adapters, in case, eg., your radio doesn´t have the same plug for the headset and microphone (like mine does), or splitters, in case you have a single pin radio (like I do...), or audio extension cables, and so on.

There´s also the wire with the red LED, which goes under your one eye (to let you know when the TrooperCom is activated), and the second wire with the magnetic reed switch, that I have hidden under the "ear"-cover on my helmet.

You also need to find a radio that´ll work with your setup, specifically your microphone and headset.

It took me the better part of two-three days to get everything to work right, and I still run into a few issues at troops every now and then. If you have the radio too close to the ROM/FX, for instance, you´ll get interference. Or the back of your head could be pushing the PTT button on the radio, blocking everybody´s comms, etc. And, sudden malfunctions could be due to any number of reasons; Low battery in the radio, the TrooperCom or the ROM/FX, bad connections between one or more of the 5-6 plugs and sockets, electrical short outs due to humidity...

All in all: The TrooperCom system is just too complicated for most troopers to bother with. It´s amazingly fun, and really useful once everything is hooked up and running smoothly. I´ve been to events where we´ve needed to time our appearance on stage from four different entrances, something that would´ve been a lot more complicated, if not impossible without the TrooperCom. Knowing that you can call on your fellow troopers if they should disappear in a crowd, or call for backup if necessary, is also a great plus. But getting it set up right, and make sure it´s running smoothly, does take some time and dedication. Thankfully, a number of the regulars at troops in our Garrison are as enamored with it as I am, so I´ve gotten some great use out of it. But I can see why other troopers would have a TrooperCom, but opt not to use it on a regular basis.

What would be really great, though, is a small, self-contained comm system that´ll work out of the box, taking minimal time to set up and service. Anyone up for the challenge?

Edited by air-ship

Here would be my Nirvana:

* Speakers mounted behind the hovis. Personally I find they can be loud enough and the feedback problem solved, and I like the idea of sound coming from the helmet.

* No wires between the helmet & armor.

* A tongue switch or something I can reach with my hand at the base of my helmet to toggle between

-- No vox

-- helmet speakers

-- FRS

-- Cellphone

I think the main problem with PTT is...PTT. For the most part with helmet speakers or cell phone, there is no PTT, so it's really an FRS issue, no? Ideally the throat mike or similar when registering you talking would in essence "push" the FRS PPT feature, then "release" when you stop. Honestly I think a PTT on the belt seems the least obtrusive. Also, I'm wondering if using the back of a drop box as a control panel might not be an option. Or, just using a comlink as a PTT device - I mean it will look film canon at least :)

Mmmm. processing.......

I've tried Bluetooth but v.2 protocol is not fast enough because of the codec and compression. There is a delay of around 20 milliseconds. Roll on affordable Bluetooth v.3 dongles and speakers. Then I can build amps that use this technology.

Your nirvana is interesting but my guess is that it would all have to be housed in your armour with a wireless link to your helmet. I'd like to think that's what a Stormtrooper would have had.

802.11 would work but the power requirements are very high. Also, it's a difficult technology to make into an affordable solution.

Yes I agree, PTT is a problem but done correctly I'm sure it could work. I like your suggestions but the blaster holding / balancing is still an issue while pressing the button.

Still processing......

Here would be my Nirvana:

* Speakers mounted behind the hovis. Personally I find they can be loud enough and the feedback problem solved, and I like the idea of sound coming from the helmet.

* No wires between the helmet & armor.

* A tongue switch or something I can reach with my hand at the base of my helmet to toggle between

-- No vox

-- helmet speakers

-- FRS

-- Cellphone

I think the main problem with PTT is...PTT. For the most part with helmet speakers or cell phone, there is no PTT, so it's really an FRS issue, no? Ideally the throat mike or similar when registering you talking would in essence "push" the FRS PPT feature, then "release" when you stop. Honestly I think a PTT on the belt seems the least obtrusive. Also, I'm wondering if using the back of a drop box as a control panel might not be an option. Or, just using a comlink as a PTT device - I mean it will look film canon at least :)

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

I am also interested in this system.  I have the AKER amp + iComm in my chestplace, and just recently got a Midland 2-way radio with PTT throat mic.  That, plus the directional mics, fans, and the AKER boom in my helmet, mean that I'm running a lot of cords between my chest and my helmet.  The worst problem is that I cannot put the 2-way radio in my chestplate (as it would be right next to the AKER amp and causes interference), so I have so far resorted to attaching the radio to the back of my belt, near the thermal detonator...  This is obviously not ideal :(

I am trying to come up with a solution to consolidate all of these but I'm afraid my level of skill isn't quite high enough for this yet.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Great thread bump! What is the best way to do this now-adays? I have a helmet with nothing in it. Ideally it should all be wireless.