New Recruit Question- Is Fx armor as bad as the forums say

Hey Everyone,

Im new to all of this so I had a quick question. I was looking into getting a set of armor and the FX seems to be at a great price point (around 500USD). But after looking around the net and costume forums it seems like people say buy anything but. To a new trooper I cant tell anything is bad about it other than oversized helmet. I am 5'10 and about 180lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. On a side note. Has anyone bought an FX kit from stormtrooper_shop_uk on Ebay? Thanks for the help.

Hey Everyone,

I posted this over in getting started. But I thought it belonged here so sorry for the repost.

Im new to all of this so I had a quick question. I was looking into getting a set of armor and the FX seems to be at a great price point (around 500USD). But after looking around the net and costume forums it seems like people say buy anything but fx and that it is junk. To a new trooper I cant tell what is different about it other than oversized helmet.I am 5'10 and about 180lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. On a side note. Has anyone bought an FX kit from stormtrooper_shop_uk on Ebay? Thanks for the help.

Hey Everyone,

Im new to all of this so I had a quick question. I was looking into getting a set of armor and the FX seems to be at a great price point (around 500USD). But after looking around the net and costume forums it seems like people say buy anything but. To a new trooper I cant tell anything is bad about it other than oversized helmet. I am 5'10 and about 180lbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. On a side note. Has anyone bought an FX kit from stormtrooper_shop_uk on Ebay? Thanks for the help.

There some inaccurate details here and there, the helmet being the most noticeable. Some people just replace the lids, but still... a few parts here and there that aren't what you might call "screen accurate."

Edited by TK 4702

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forums!

Actually the FX kit doesn't exist anymore, it has been replace by AM. If you check around the forums Pandatrooper and TKrestonva (two vets and all around great guys) are doing build threads, so you may want to check those out.

Also, for your size, pretty much any kit will fit you, so don't worry about that. Spend some time and read up and you'll find the answers you're looking for :) Don't rush anything and as a general rule, be wary of Ebay.

Good luck!

Matt

I will say it's more to do with how the armor if fitted then the kit itself. PandaTrooper and Dorsk88 both took AM & FX respectively and made it fit them very well. I've also seen TE armor on someone 6'4" 245lbs.

Some kits lend themselves to body types better than others, for instance I just can't get TE2 shins to work for me and so tend to replace them with a different maker (RT in this case).

Hey Ryan,

The true crime with FX armor is the oversized helmet. If you are able to buy an FX armor kit currently, then it is probably someone who has recast it since the original maker has redone the moulds and called the latest version AM (Armor Master) armor.

I have FX armor with a Master Replica helmet that I modified. I am 5'9" 189 lbs....

-

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I will say it's more to do with how the armor if fitted then the kit itself. PandaTrooper and Dorsk88 both took AM & FX respectively and made it fit them very well. I've also seen TE armor on someone 6'4" 245lbs.Some kits lend themselves to body types better than others, for instance I just can't get TE2 shins to work for me and so tend to replace them with a different maker (RT in this case).

Hey Paul,

For curiosity's sake, why couldn't you get the TE2 shins to work?

My FX armor with Authentic Props chest/back plate and helmet.

9CohU7G.jpg

-i trimmed the thigh pieces,the cod piece.

-I need to lower the elbow pieces.

-Gonna do a return edge on the shoulder bells and curve them in more,

-getting smaller latex handguards,

-gonna glue the arm pieces instead of velcroing.

Then i'll be happy !

This kit was painted silver so i had to sand it all,prime and paint it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hey Paul,

For curiosity's sake, why couldn't you get the TE2 shins to work?

Because I'm 6'0" and a lot of leg. They are pretty short as is and need shimming to fit me. I guess if I played with a heat gun I could get the right not to slide around. Again - it can be done and people do it all the time, but I found it easier just to get parts designed for a tall guy. In fairness for me it's just the legs - the rest if the kit fits just fine.

Appart from the helmet , the stormtrooper-shop armour is just fine .

Carefull assembly takes abut one afternoon because it all comes cut , and its lovely and shiney. :lol:

for trooping its great . For a static "screen accurate " display its all wrong.

As to it being recast , well it comes in an identical style/colour/manufacturer cardboard box as several "real" fx kits Ive seen. :blink:

----------

my stormtroopershop fx armour , lemonhearts helmet, hasbro modded and caboots. Im 5 ft 10 and 80kg.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I personally don't like the way the back plate on FX/AM armor fits over the kidney armor,

the chest plate and helmet are not the only "screen accurate" flaw in a FX/AM style kit.

I personally would go with the higher quality ABS kits out there AP or TM would be my personal choice.

if you want a really accurate kit then you should look into the above types.

almost every part of the AM armor is "close" but not exact.

my 2 credits.

Ryan,

Check link below to see the differences between a FX/AM (fan sculpted) and a movie replica armor(originates from a real movie suit) It's obivous how inaccuratae the FX is when compared side by side

----------

Mark

Edited by gmrhodes13