Chest speaker or in mic tips ?

Quebectrooper

It's all personal preference, but mine is to have them via the mike tips as I like that the sound is coming from the helmet, you can actually make them loud enough, and to me ideally my vox is 100% self contained in the helmet.

Mine is in my chest also as if you need any sort of volume, like outside, the mic tip speakers just don't go loud enough for me. I use a converted Ipod speaker that is already flat and the perfect shape.

I am little biased, but i prefer volume. So i would put an aker voice amp in the back armor. Then you can also add trooper chatter with a mp3 player at the same time to the amp. It has been my experience that the hovi Speakers are great for quiet rooms but can't be heard in crowded situations. Crowded noisy troops are typical for me....I would rather be heard.

And my experience is not consistent with that Jim. My garrison mate uses mike tip speakers and I can hear him fine even on noisy troops too. Perhaps it has to do with the amp/speaker combo perhaps?

EDIT: to be clear these are speakers *behind* the mike tips, not in them. He used blue tack to eliminate feedback.

Edited by Daetrin
Added edit.

I also use the "Aker amp" under my chest and have more volume than I ever need. The added TK chatter running on a loop just makes it even better. I have no feed back problems and the ability to play the Imperial March or TK tracks or anything you want or need along with my voice is a great plus.

I'm also using the Aker voice amp behind my chest plate. It works well, but care has to be taken with volume settings and positioning the mic in the helmet to avoid feedback. The wires are a little bit of a hassle, as they have to go underneath the underarmor, then come back up behind the armor to the back of the chest plate. One big plus with the Aker is that it holds a charge for a long time and the batteries are rechargeable, so you just have to plug it in recharge it before each troop without having to worry about changing out batteries.

What I'm curious about is whether anyone has taken an Aker apart and been able to place the electronics in the helmet with mike tip speakers.

I have speakers behind my mic tips, not actually in them..

The tiny mic tip ones are no where near loud enough, so went with 40mm speakers behind in deodorant lids... You of course have the issue of getting rid of feedback, but they are loud, and the voice comes from where it is supposed too..

I used to run with everything set up in my lid but I found that the Hovi speakers were just not MAN enough :mellow:

so I swapped it all over to my chest where it sits nicely and I just wear a light weight head set Mic

which allows me to take my helmet on and off without any fuss B)

ROMSpeakerinchestSm02.jpg

ROMSpeakerinchestSm04.jpg

Headsetbetter-inc.jpg

:)

I use the Hovi speakers and they are loud enough for me most of the time.

I didn't do the chest speaker for several reasons, 1. I like it all to be contained inside my helmet, no dangling wires, 2. I sweat a lot in my armor, so I'd be afraid of that causing problems.

I also use the "Aker amp" under my chest and have more volume than I ever need. The added TK chatter running on a loop just makes it even better. I have no feed back problems and the ability to play the Imperial March or TK tracks or anything you want or need along with my voice is a great plus.

This is the exact set up I'm using and really enjoying it! I just clip on the Aker speaker on my shoulder strap that is hidden under my chest piece and clip my iPod on the other strap. Nice an loud, I really enjoy having people hear what I say!