Armor types: compare/contrast

So I've been doing a lot of research into kits and affordability. I've been looking into ATA, good price good looking kit. But i've also been looking at AM. And avoiding FX. Does anyone have any thoughts about which is better as far as accuracy is concerned. I'm looking for a kit that I can troop in frequently. So durable is a plus... I don't know, I'm looking for any input on the situation. Thanks everyone! I'm getting closer and closer each day to finally making up my mind.

Are only people named Alex allowed to post here?

Guess not. :P

Yes, what Alex #2 said is right.

However... I troop in TE2 armor, which is HIPS, and it is incredibly durable! In fact I've had a few guys watch me put it on in awe because of how flexible it is. When HIPS is done well it's really good stuff.

Put it this way, it's good enough that there's still much debate on which is better and plenty of people on either side. B)

It also depends on your physique. As ATA is derived from screen-used armor, it's meant for smaller builds. AM is a fan-sculpt, but one designed to accomodate larger troopers.

Having said that, any armor can be made to fit any physique, it's a matter of how much shimming and/or trimming you want to do.

It also depends on your physique. As ATA is derived from screen-used armor, it's meant for smaller builds. AM is a fan-sculpt, but one designed to accomodate larger troopers.

Having said that, any armor can be made to fit any physique, it's a matter of how much shimming and/or trimming you want to do.

Well i'm 6'2'' and 150 lbs. So, which do you guys think would be easier to make fit?

Hey Alex, like Noel siad the debate about HIPS vs. ABS is like Coke vs. Pepsi, some people one, and some people like the other. It is up to your preferince.

ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene)

ABS is very durable, solid color through, with a gloss finish that needs no sanding or painting. Minor abrasions or scratches (when trooping this will occur) can be easily buffed out with a rubbing compound, back to a gloss finish. The con to ABS is that it has more of a rubber content in the makeup of the material. ABS usually loses some of the sharpness/detail when casting.

HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) also know just as Styrene.

HIPS (Styrene) has less rubber content than the ABS. When casting, the HIPS makes for a sharper pull of the armor, giving more detail to edges. Styrene armor will need sanding and painting, etc to make it accurate to the screen used armor. The con to HIPS, is after several troops, you will possibly have chips in the paint that will have to be touched up and little stress cracks/tears around certain edges of the armor that will require repairs.

You might also look into RT-MOD. Some of the armor pieces have a little height added to them for taller people.

Well i'm 6'2'' and 150 lbs. So, which do you guys think would be easier to make fit?

6'2" and 150 lbs - pretty skinny dude, eh?

I'd go for either TM or one of the TE-derived kits (TE, TE2, AP, ATA). With FX, AM, and/or RT Mod you might find yourself swimming in it. :P

6'2" and 150 lbs - pretty skinny dude, eh?

I'd go for either TM or one of the TE-derived kits (TE, TE2, AP, ATA). With FX, AM, and/or RT Mod you might find yourself swimming in it. :P

Yeah im skinny... it can be frustrating. alright thanks ATA it is then... I'd love TM but i don't have that kinda $$$ yet. Thanks everyone for your input. if you've got more keep it coming it's really helpful.

Dont forget there is High Gloss HIPS armor available too. Its like the best of both worlds; Dang near as tough as ABS, Doesn't need painting and gets sweet pulls like HIPS.

It would be awesome if TE2 used high gloss HIPS :sith:

Dont forget there is High Gloss HIPS armor available too. Its like the best of both worlds; Dang near as tough as ABS, Doesn't need painting and gets sweet pulls like HIPS.

Who does use this in their kits?

Smitty , i agree TE2 in hips would be fantastic :D