Armor plastic

According to starwarshelmets.com, the original armor/helmets was made of High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE). A few helmets used in close-ups (such as those worn by Han & Luke) were made of ABS, but everything else was HDPE.

You can find the answer (and a lot more)------------

:)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

The armor was ABS and the helmets (other than hero versions) were painted HDPE. Couldn't get the detail and undercuts right with ABS, so the HDPE was used. You can see the contrast in colors in most of the "grunt" helmets and armor when the troops are lined up.

There are a number of different threads about this. Troopermaster has pointed out that there are some flexible (rubber/latex) thighs during the stormtroopers' blasting through the detention block elevator.

Is this fact or just a thought? I hadn't heard of this before... :huh:

I can ask Andrew if anyone is interested in his answer? He did make them....... :mellow:

Please do.

Try and get a detailed answer and maybe see some reciepts of purchase if possible. I hear things like "It's ABS" as though it's fact, when in reality it's only hear say. While it is most likely ABS for the armour and HDPE for the helmets, there are some plastics with virtually the same properties as these two that they could be mistaken for quite easily, even if you have experience with them they are hard to tell unless you form them.

3518118695_0d2de35a1f_o.jpg

Latex thighs.....(screen grabs courtesy of TKDUEUNO)

I've just come off the phone from Andrew and he says that all the suits were made of an ABS with a high rubber content. At the time of production after he had made the helmets from HDPE he was asked to do the suits and took a gamble before it was finalized on what plastic was wanted and ordered some extusion abs that could be made to order with different flexabillity. HDPE couldn't be used for the armor as it is nearly impossible to glue. Today the armor is acrylic capped therefor much more ridgid than the originals. He also said that the armor wasn't particularily White but that didn't show under the studio lighting as it bleached them up and looked White on film. So there you have it.

Thanks Mark.

That's what he told me a few years ago when I met him. What I can't fully understand is that he would have had to get this ABS specially made and would have come in a tonne supply which would have cost a small fortune. I honestly don't think that he would have been able to use all that plastic for the stormtroopers and whatever else helmets he made. Just doesn't make good business sense to me. I'd love to be proven wrong and only reciepts will do that.