closing the back of shins, ANH style?

So from what I've read, these are the most common ways to close the back of the shins (on TE style armor, could be used on others too). I'm trying to do mine now and I can't decide on what method. Ideally, I want to do ANH style (strips on front and back) but I'll need to trim and test fit first to see how things line up. But I'd like my fellow troops opinion first before doing any lethal cutting. :)

1. have the shin backs overlap, have the opening face inwards so the outside of the shin looks nice, use velcro to close it shut

2. have the shin backs overlap, have the opening face inwards so the outside of the shin looks nice, just rely on the overlap to keep it closed

3. Glue the back shut, glue a 20-25mm strip on top.

4. Stukatrooper method (not sure what to call it). Have the back of the shim butt seamed, and only glue the ANH overlap strip on one side (I assume the outside) and rely on the tension to keep it closed. This way, you get the strip / ANH look without gluing it shut

Ideally, #3 sounds the best to keep it solid, but there's no way I can get a foot through the shin without spreading it apart. Can anyone actually physically do this?

I know in the movies, they just have the back "open" but I'm not sure how practical this would be when trooping.

Any advice here would be great! Thanks

If you glue both the front and rear of the shins you are not going to be able to get your legs and feet in....

Mine are just left open at the rear, nothing holds them shut and you can see here they open when i walk and then close when at a stand still just like the tantive scene..

qwqMcnf.jpg

If you want to keep them a little neater and not come open like mine do you could add a small piece of velcro on the inside but the best stealth method to keep them shut but without the velcro showing is to glue a small piece of black elastic horizontally to the inside of the shin on both sides, which will allow you to open them up to slide your foot inside but then pull to 2 parts closed again.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

I like the idea of using elastic on the back of the shins, like it's used on the boots. IMHO for a tiny bit of difference white elastic would be better if the back of the shin parted when walking it wouldn't be as obvious. But since I haven't done this or seen it am I mistaken about being able to get my hands on said white elastic or would white elastic be subject to getting dirty and thus spoil my "tiny bit of difference"? :) I bow to those with practical troop experience...

If you want to keep them a little neater and not come open like mine do you could add a small piece of velcro on the inside but the best stealth method to keep them shut but without the velcro showing is to glue a small piece of black elastic horizontally to the inside of the shin on both sides, which will allow you to open them up to slide your foot inside but then pull to 2 parts closed again.

This is a great solution! I can see trying to Have the ANH strip with velcro may add to the bulkiness of the seam, but putting an elastic strap is a great solution. Like Jag says, it's just like TK boots.

Thank you!

If you going to put elastic to keep the shins shut on the inside it will need to be black to blend in with the undersuit, white will stick out like a sore thumb.

I dont have min set up like this but it would work perfectly :)

I used the screen-accurate method, but closed them with a piece of american tape on the top and a small piece of velcro on the bottom.

After trimming I heated the front and pushed them closed to fit better.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On my wife's AP I kept the overlap at the back (with velcro) and glued a finishing strip over the top of the overlap for the sake of appearance.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021