Where can I watch Heart of an Empire?

fumapvt said:
Where can I watch or buy the documentary "Heart of an Empire"? I wanted to watch it but the site is gone. :(

----- is a place to buy it from

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Personally I expected to see more of a 501st recruitment video. Basically HOAE is a biography on the founder of the 501st, Albin Johnson, and the incredible story of two kids and their parents whose lives have been touched by the 501st.

It's not a bad movie, but I personally skipped through bits of the whole Albin Johnson part. I respect the man for what he has done and has endured, though when you're expecting to put in a DVD full of stormtroopers and watch it with the family, it doesn't hold up well for a 30 dollar DVD. It feels too personal, in such a way that it's a great DVD for people close to Albin and the others mentioned, with home videos being edited and talked together but it does drag on a lot if you're not familiar with the people depicted in the movie. At least, it did for me.

The Jeremy Bulloch bonus interview though is awesome if you know the man, and if not, it's a great means of getting to know more about this great actor.

For me, I bought the DVD and haven't watched it since. It's collectors material now :P.

This is not a bash on the movie or such, it's just my little review to help members out. It's sometimes nice to read first-hand experience instead of the promo-blurb on the seller's site. If this offends someone in any way, feel free to edit or delete this comment.

Personally I expected to see more of a 501st recruitment video. Basically HOAE is a biography on the founder of the 501st, Albin Johnson, and the incredible story of two kids and their parents whose lives have been touched by the 501st.

It's not a bad movie, but I personally skipped through bits of the whole Albin Johnson part. I respect the man for what he has done and has endured, though when you're expecting to put in a DVD full of stormtroopers and watch it with the family, it doesn't hold up well for a 30 dollar DVD. It feels too personal, in such a way that it's a great DVD for people close to Albin and the others mentioned, with home videos being edited and talked together but it does drag on a lot if you're not familiar with the people depicted in the movie. At least, it did for me.

The Jeremy Bulloch bonus interview though is awesome if you know the man, and if not, it's a great means of getting to know more about this great actor.

For me, I bought the DVD and haven't watched it since. It's collectors material now :P.

This is not a bash on the movie or such, it's just my little review to help members out. It's sometimes nice to read first-hand experience instead of the promo-blurb on the seller's site. If this offends someone in any way, feel free to edit or delete this comment.

I have the DVD and I feel the same way. I was expecting a road trip type movie where the documentary would go to different garrisons all over the country/world, go over some history for each, and show them in action. I think the stories in the movie were compelling, but didn't need to take up about 75% of the movie.

I don't think this movie had its audience figured out very well. The first 15 minutes went over a brief history of star wars and 501st, explained what a "prop" is, and showed how to get suited up into some stromtrooper armor. Um, do you seriously think anyone who would watch this movie DIDN'T know about those things already? Its not like some one who has never heard of the 501st is going to watch this flick.

I didn't hate the movie, its just not what I was expecting. If it was in video stores, I would say it was worth a rent. But since the only way you can see it is to buy it...

I have the DVD and I feel the same way. I was expecting a road trip type movie where the documentary would go to different garrisons all over the country/world, go over some history for each, and show them in action. I think the stories in the movie were compelling, but didn't need to take up about 75% of the movie.

I don't think this movie had its audience figured out very well. The first 15 minutes went over a brief history of star wars and 501st, explained what a "prop" is, and showed how to get suited up into some stromtrooper armor. Um, do you seriously think anyone who would watch this movie DIDN'T know about those things already? Its not like some one who has never heard of the 501st is going to watch this flick.

I didn't hate the movie, its just what I was expecting. If it was in video stores, I would say it was worth a rent. But since the only way you can see it is to buy it...

Hmmm, I'm thinking road trip, and I think I know just the person to do the movie. Now, I just need to raise the money....find the time....oh yeah, finish my master's degree...make money....go overseas...pay the filmmaker....

This is one project that I won't be completing in the next six months. Perhaps in the next four years...I'll put it on my To-Do list. A good excuse to travel???

When the Redbacks were trooping in the Toowoomba Carnival of Flowers parade, we were approached by a guy from ABC TV, who did a radio interview. He also went on to say that he'd love to arrange to do a documentary on the 501st In Queensland, Australia, just like Heart of an Empire, (He'd seen it).

So perhaps we may see that progress in the next year or so....

He also plans on joining us, as he loves what we do..:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
fumapvt said:
Where can I watch or buy the documentary "Heart of an Empire"? I wanted to watch it but the site is gone. :(

NETFLIX: -----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

• 2 months later...

Am watching it now, about 30 minutes in to it so far. I'm actually happy with it so far - better than I'd been led to expect. :) :)

I wonder how hard it would be to get a documentary together, having chapters telling about the progression of the unit. Back ground on what led to it's creation and where it is headed. Meeting units from all over the world and such. The main reason I got into this was when I seen how much the children enjoyed it. For that short time in their lives they had no worries or cares. Only having fun. I love when the child said "I'm coloring with Darth Vader". It melts your heart.

Luckily I got mine for free--would have really been disappointed if I had paid thirty bucks for it. Yeah, I watched it once and then it went on the shelf. Probably forever. I can't imagine anyone who is not 501st sitting through the whole thing as it's pretty boring. I think it was made in the spirit of "we have got to reduce the geek factor and show how much we really care about people". Like someone said before, it just doesn't seem to be able to figure out what audience it is catering to. For the geeks--boring. For the non geeks, well, still boring.

Again, like someone said, if you personally know Albin then I'm sure it means a lot more to you. Someone should do a fan edit. You could reduce it down to about twenty minutes and make something fun to watch.

You should check out a DVD called "The Force Among Us"

I thought it was a very well balanced movie. It has the 501st and all different SW fans telling about how Star Wars impacted their lives!

• 3 months later...